Canon's Full Frame Mirorrless Cameras [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Canon will release two full frame mirrorless cameras before the middle of 2019, the first one to come will be the “flagship” model for this new line of cameras. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-full-list-of-unreleased-canon-camera-ids/">As reported earlier</a>, this camera will sport a 30.4mp sensor that could be closely related to the EOS 5D Mark IV.</p>
<p>The second full frame mirrorless body will be a lower megapixel count. We’ve seen mentions of various pixel counts, which isn’t unusual, as test cameras can come with a wide array of different image sensors. The most likely pixel count will be around 24mp, we do not believe they’ll be using the EOS 6D Mark II’s 26.2mp sensor, or even a modified version of it.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>Both cameras will shoot 4K, with the “flagship” model providing the best video features.</p>
<p>We’re also told that there’s a possibility of a removable EVF on one of the cameras, which we think would be reserved for the lower end full frame mirrorless camera.</p>
<p>We’re told that there are currently no plans to release a camera that will compete directly with Sony’s high ISO capable Alpha a7s II.</p>
<p><strong>What about the mount?</strong></p>
<p>We cannot get a straight answer about this. We’ve been told everything from a new mount to EF mount. One trusted source told us that the full frame mirrorless camera and EF mount problem has a “sexy” solution. We’re not sure what that means, but it’s the best news we’ve received on the topic.</p>
<p><strong>When are they coming?</strong></p>
<p>Both camera bodies will be shipping by mid 2019, but the exact announcement date for the first camera is unknown at this time.</p>
<p><strong>What will they be called?</strong></p>
<p>For the moment we only have codenames, but “EOS M1” has yet to be used by Canon. Other than that, no naming suggestions have been sent our way.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 2, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
<p>We cannot get a straight answer about this. We’ve been told everything from a new mount to EF mount. One trusted source told us that the full frame mirrorless camera and EF mount problem has a “sexy” solution. We’re not sure what that means,

Mila Kunis clone carries an adapter for you?

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I am so set-up with FF DSLR and Lenses and mirrorless MFT Kit and every lens available...even converted an MFT body to infrared...Got it all covered! :) GREAT time to be a still photographer.
If Canon comes of with a "completely up-to-date" mirrorless body that takes my existing EF lenses and allows them to work in "all aspects" and as "good or BETTER" than they do now on my 5DIV, then I will buy that body immediately.
If not....oh well. 8)
Honestly...with the history of this company, I am not expecting a whole lot, to be honest.
...but, we will see.....whenever....

Upvote 0
Everything we wanted to know, we know now.....
Canikons are just finding the niches in the market.

Sony FF will have the largest portfolio of irl bodies.

Leica FF will stay the best IQ

Nikon FF will be to compensate for not having 1.2 lenses on their F mount bodies.

Canon FF will be there leaning on their 30 years old EF lenses line, probably more gadgets like Dual pixel focus and Ghost/Flare correction for NATIVE lenses only.

Canon 2nd FF line will be sans EVF and 35mm F5.6 prime lens. To make as compact as possibly body.

End of the story, since the LP E6N batterie affaire: the Canon 1DX line stays the only one offering 12V to the lens motors of the White's ones.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Canon Rumors said:
<p>We cannot get a straight answer about this. We’ve been told everything from a new mount to EF mount. One trusted source told us that the full frame mirrorless camera and EF mount problem has a “sexy” solution. We’re not sure what that means,

Mila Kunis clone carries an adapter for you?

Mila Kunis clone carries the adapter and Jim Beam for you, she also poses if you need a risque model.

But on the real side: "Shut up, Meg!"

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Canon will release two full frame mirrorless cameras before the middle of 2019, the first one to come will be the “flagship” model for this new line of cameras. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-full-list-of-unreleased-canon-camera-ids/">As reported earlier</a>, this camera will sport a 30.4mp sensor that could be closely related to the EOS 5D Mark IV.</p>
<p>We cannot get a straight answer about this. We’ve been told everything from a new mount to EF mount. One trusted source told us that the full frame mirrorless camera and EF mount problem has a “sexy” solution. We’re not sure what that means, but it’s the best news we’ve received on the topic.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I really, really hope it's a new short-flange mirrorless mount. That opens the doors for smaller & lighter glass, and hopefully smaller & lighter bodies.

As to the "sexy solution", maybe that's going to be a weather-sealed EOS EF-to-EOS EF-M adapter with a mirror box and PDAF module tucked inside; it could connect to a detachable pentaprism that would be locked into place over the hotshoe. That would give photographers the option of a pure OVF if they wanted - plus less expensive standard smart adapters will be readily available if all you want/need is an EVF.

I prefer OVF for the time being, and really only envision myself buying a mirrorless body as my primary camera if the EVF is 4+ million dots @ 60+ FPS. But I doubt these first-gen FF Canon mirrorless bodies will be packing those :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Cryve said:
I wonder why they limit the higher pixel count body to "only" 30 mp. does it have something to do with the dual pixel system?

Just speculating here, but they may just drop a 6D2 and 5D4 sensor into these models. If they could get away with this, it would be a huge win for Canon not to have to design/fab a new sensor.

- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:
Cryve said:
I wonder why they limit the higher pixel count body to "only" 30 mp. does it have something to do with the dual pixel system?

Just speculating here, but they may just drop a 6D2 and 5D4 sensor into these models. If they could get away with this, it would be a huge win for Canon not to have to design/fab a new sensor.

- A

Alternatively, the idea all along may have been to give to the new less expensive mirrorless the sensor that everybody wanted the 6DII to have, and let the 6DII find a price point well below the A7III.

Upvote 0
Canoneer said:
As to the "sexy solution", maybe that's going to be a weather-sealed EOS EF-to-EOS EF-M adapter with a mirror box and PDAF module tucked inside; it could connect to a detachable pentaprism that would be locked into place over the hotshoe. That would give photographers the option of a pure OVF if they wanted - plus less expensive standard smart adapters will be readily available if all you want/need is an EVF.

This defies my understanding of "sexy".

Upvote 0