Capture High-Quality Action Shots and Video From Afar with the New Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II

Jan 29, 2011
Re: Capture High-Quality Action Shots and Video From Afar with the New Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 I

Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:
Nice upgrade, but does anybody see the sense of the LCD screen?

A Nano-USM lens cannot have a traditional mechanical distance window because it's focus-by-wire, the focusing ring is not mechanically coupled to anything. Thus, a digital distance window with some extra features like vibration indicators.

How did all the previous focus-by-wire lenses with traditional mechanical distance windows manage it then?

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

Attachments

• canon_200_f1-8.jpg
    canon_200_f1-8.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 971
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 8.26.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 8.26.22 PM.png
    619.3 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
Re: Capture High-Quality Action Shots and Video From Afar with the New Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 I

The same way any electronics student in any university is able to make a barrel with some writing rotate in sync with another rotating barrel.

Can can obviously do both. They're both simple. Canon it trying out the LCD appraoach and watch for the feedback. If it went well, then it's an improvement they've made to they lenses and will be on all Canon lenses with a distance window. If feedback is poor, they'll keep it to the 70-300mm IS II.

But Canon doesn't implement a new feature unless it's approved and said to be better by MANY photo/videographers, and I MEAN MANY before it makes its way into a production model. So the LCD is probably going to be a better a convenient and very quick way of that function wink :)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
A Nano-USM lens cannot have a traditional mechanical distance window because it's focus-by-wire, the focusing ring is not mechanically coupled to anything. Thus, a digital distance window with some extra features like vibration indicators.

How did all the previous focus-by-wire lenses with traditional mechanical distance windows manage it then?

Good point. But surely there's a reason that those are all L lenses? Of course, STM and nUSM are consumer-grade tech, and having no distance window at all is cheaper and not that needed in that product segment. But on this day and age, adding a mechanical distance ring and a nontrivial coupling to the focus ring is surely more expensive in terms of cost, weight, and size, and complexity compared to a cheap monochrome LCD and a bunch of code to drive it.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com

mrsfotografie said:

It has a number of uses, 1) it will give you the 35mm (FF) equivalent on the display for those who suck at math. 2) Show focusing distance information based on your aperture, 3) Which is actually the most useful feature IMHO, it shows you how much the IS is working on both vertical and horizontal axis.

Also as per the other comment about this lens focusing. As per Canon, quote: "The EF 70–300mm f/4–5.6 IS II USM offers complete manual control, even when AF is engaged, with a simple twist of the lens's focus ring. Additionally, full-time manual focus means it's easy to achieve and maintain focus manually, which can be especially handy when shooting video or composing still images on an SLR's screen." However I have not used a nano USM lens yet since I elected not to get the new 18-135 nUSM when I got my 80D. It could still be focus by wire.

That said, I am very interested in this lens. I only need a telephoto 2 or 3 times a year, so spending the money on a L lens just doesn't seem like the best way to spend my money. I got the Tamron SP 70-300mm and its sharpness is OK when stopped down to f/8.. But F freaking 8 is to slow and the micro contrast in that lens is saddening. At least on my 70D and 80D. So I am getting this Canon lens. Even if its only as sharp as the 18-55 STM kit lens, it will still be an improvement IMHO..

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com

privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

Those are not focus by wire.. Traditional USM lenses have a focusing ring that is designed to slip, a clutch style mechanism for better words. Focus by wire means that the cameras on board computer sees when you move the focusing ring and then electronically tells the focus motor to turn.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015

ExodistPhotography said:
mrsfotografie said:

It has a number of uses, 1) it will give you the 35mm (FF) equivalent on the display for those who suck at math. 2) Show focusing distance information based on your aperture, 3) Which is actually the most useful feature IMHO, it shows you how much the IS is working on both vertical and horizontal axis.

Re: 1) If you're incompetent enough at math to be unable to "add half and then a bit", then knowing the precise equivalent focal length is information you're not going to be interested in anyway

Re: 2) I'm undecided on whether this is a useful function or not given the way they've decided to display the information

Re: 3) Can't see the use of this, given that to actually see what the display is telling you the IS is doing (i.e. looking over the top of the camera), you need to be holding the camera exactly the way you wouldn't be when trying to actually take a shot.

Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me, or just testing the waters to see how photographers respond.

d.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

ExodistPhotography said:
privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

Those are not focus by wire.. Traditional USM lenses have a focusing ring that is designed to slip, a clutch style mechanism for better words. Focus by wire means that the cameras on board computer sees when you move the focusing ring and then electronically tells the focus motor to turn.

Oh yes they are. If you turn the camera off you can't focus them, if the AF motor dies you can't manually focus them, they 100% are focus by wire.

Focus by wire means the focus ring is not physically connected to the focusing mechanism, you need electricity to manually focus the lens and the AF motor has to be operational to achieve manual focus.

the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens still utilizes focus-by-wire - electronic manual focusing.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The 200 mm f/1.8 USM lens............ It featured an unusual "focus by wire" system where the focus ring drove the motor when focusing in manual mode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_200mm_lens

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:

More precise to read for focus distance. Plus it looks completely baller. get some of that thin red tape to put on the end for an extra stop of bad ass.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
ExodistPhotography said:
privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

Oh yes they are. If you turn the camera off you can't focus them, if the AF motor dies you can't manually focus them, they 100% are focus by wire.

Focus by wire means the focus ring is not physically connected to the focusing mechanism, you need electricity to manually focus the lens and the AF motor has to be operational to achieve manual focus.

the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens still utilizes focus-by-wire - electronic manual focusing.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The 200 mm f/1.8 USM lens............ It featured an unusual "focus by wire" system where the focus ring drove the motor when focusing in manual mode.

I think that Sharlin is right, Canon cannot put a traditional distance scale on this lens.
The above mentioned lenses are actually focus by wire indeed, I do have a 85 1.2 L II and know very well how it works.
The point is that all those lenses, 200 1.8 L, 85 1.2 L etc, albeit being focus by wire, have a real traditional ring USM motor that moves the focus group by an helicoidal mechanism, i.e. by turning an inner ring. Therefore it is feasible to attach the distance scale to the usm ring (not to the outer ring) and have it turning along with the usm rotor that moves the inner lenses.
This 70-300 does not have a real usm ring, but has a linear usm motor that simply moves focusing grups LINEARLY, i.e. nothing rotates inside the barrel. There are no focus helicoid but the focus group is moved onto a slide back and forth (the usm acts like a worm moving on a surface, contracts and release its body to move). Hence there could be no circular focus scale on the barrel and the need of an LCD focus scale arises.
A mechanical focus scale on this linear motor would have required a linear longitudinal cut on one side of the barrel, clearly unfeasible due to loss of structural integrity and interference with outer focus and zoom rings.
This is what I can say from what I have understood about the working principle of this new type of usm motor.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

canikon said:
privatebydesign said:
ExodistPhotography said:
privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

I think that Sharlin is right, Canon cannot put a traditional distance scale on this lens.
The above mentioned lenses are actually focus by wire indeed, I do have a 85 1.2 L II and know very well how it works.
The point is that all those lenses, 200 1.8 L, 85 1.2 L etc, albeit being focus by wire, have a real traditional ring USM motor that moves the focus group by an helicoidal mechanism, i.e. by turning an inner ring. Therefore it is feasible to attach the distance scale to the usm ring (not to the outer ring) and have it turning along with the usm rotor that moves the inner lenses.
This 70-300 does not have a real usm ring, but has a linear usm motor that simply moves focusing grups LINEARLY, i.e. nothing rotates inside the barrel. There are no focus helicoid but the focus group is moved onto a slide back and forth (the usm acts like a worm moving on a surface, contracts and release its body to move). Hence there could be no circular focus scale on the barrel and the need of an LCD focus scale arises.
A mechanical focus scale on this linear motor would have required a linear longitudinal cut on one side of the barrel, clearly unfeasible due to loss of structural integrity and interference with outer focus and zoom rings.
This is what I can say from what I have understood about the working principle of this new type of usm motor.

Sharlin made two claims*, a nano USM can't have a "traditional mechanical distance window", which I never disputed, and he also said "because it's focus-by-wire" which I not only disputed but proved to be patently incorrect.

I tend to agree that a simple implementation of a distance widow would seem difficult in a linear travel Nano USM design, but I don't agree that it is because it is focus-by-wire.

* Actually three, "the focusing ring is not mechanically coupled to anything", that is also not germane and proven false by my links, the focus rings on those lenses are also not mechanically connected to anything yet have a traditional mechanical distance window.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
canikon said:
privatebydesign said:
ExodistPhotography said:
privatebydesign said:
Sharlin said:
mrsfotografie said:

For instance the-
200 f1.8
85 f1.2
300 f2.8
etc etc

Sharlin made two claims*, a nano USM can't have a "traditional mechanical distance window", which I never disputed, and he also said "because it's focus-by-wire" which I not only disputed but proved to be patently incorrect.

I tend to agree that a simple implementation of a distance widow would seem difficult in a linear travel Nano USM design, but I don't agree that it is because it is focus-by-wire.

* Actually three, "the focusing ring is not mechanically coupled to anything", that is also not germane and proven false by my links, the focus rings on those lenses are also not mechanically connected to anything yet have a traditional mechanical distance window.

Yes agreed, traditional implementation of distance window is not feasible with the linear nano usm motor drive, due NOT simply to the fact that it is "focus by wire" but specifically to the fact that the motion of the motor and focus mechanism is linear instead of circular, hence no circular distance windows would ever be possible.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

mkamelg said:
andrei1989 said:
any news on availability? it was supposed to be november but it's already december :)

According to Amazon was set a new release date.

This item will be released on December 15, 2016.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-70-300mm-II-USM/dp/B01LXTX4WY

New because previous release date was set for November 30, 2016.

15 December is also what Canon online store says (well, estimates) ...
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-ii-usm

Upvote 0

andrei1989 said:
i'm curious how this will perform against the 70-200 f4 with TC at ~300mm...maybe they matched the optical performace :D

Faster AF and will be I think just as sharp over the same range AND very important - it will be much lighter.
Not as well made though and probably not the same QC.

Upvote 0