Century Precision Optics AD-8620 +2.0 Achromatic Diopter - 86mm (Screw Mount)

Aug 10, 2021
It says it's only one element, so the results might be quite disappointing.
If you want more magnification, but don't necessarily need a close MFD, I think using Canon's Extender EF 1.4X III would be a better choice because I've seen good photos produced with it and the Sigma.
I saw one at B&H used

Upvote 0
As stated on B&H: 'Century Diopters feature two highly corrected glass elements for edge-to-edge sharpness, thus minimizing chromatic aberration and distortion'. Tests have shown CPO diopters to be among the best. I already use the extender (which requires a 12mm ET as a spacer), but thank you for your input.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
As stated on B&H: 'Century Diopters feature two highly corrected glass elements for edge-to-edge sharpness, thus minimizing chromatic aberration and distortion'. Tests have shown CPO diopters to be among the best. I already use the extender (which requires a 12mm ET as a spacer), but thank you for your input.
Sorry, I must have been looking at the wrong item.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The product is intended for cine lenses. Cine lenses and photo lenses use the same filter threading, so as long as the diameter is right it should fit. Optics manufacturers are good that way, for example I use a Sensei 52-48mm step down ring on the front threads of my Canon 10x42L binoculars to mount standard 2" telescope eyepiece filters and they thread on just fine.

The reason it's difficult to find more info on Century Precision Optics is that Schneider Optics (parent company of B+W filters) bought them a long time ago and basically absorbed them. You could try contacting Schneider and ask them to confirm that the diopter you want has standard lens filter threading. I'm pretty sure it does, but $500 is a lot of cash to throw away and asking the question is free.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The product is intended for cine lenses. Cine lenses and photo lenses use the same filter threading, so as long as the diameter is right it should fit. Optics manufacturers are good that way, for example I use a Sensei 52-48mm step down ring on the front threads of my Canon 10x42L binoculars to mount standard 2" telescope eyepiece filters and they thread on just fine.

The reason it's difficult to find more info on Century Precision Optics is that Schneider Optics (parent company of B+W filters) bought them a long time ago and basically absorbed them. You could try contacting Schneider and ask them to confirm that the diopter you want has standard lens filter threading. I'm pretty sure it does, but $500 is a lot of cash to throw away and asking the question is free.
Thank you. I did contact Schneider and am awaiting a response.

I find it a little odd that B&H and Adorama offer CPO diopters while they cannot be found on the Schneider website. The Schneider website does show what appear to be single element diopters, which I am leary of.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I find it a little odd that B&H and Adorama offer CPO diopters while they cannot be found on the Schneider website. The Schneider website does show what appear to be single element diopters, which I am leary of.
I looked as well. All I found on Schneider's website was a list of distributors/rental houses for Century products.

Upvote 0