cfast prices are not coming down

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I am rather surprised that the price of CFast cards have not been reduced. Canon introduced that 1dx M2 well over a year ago. The price of nearly all other electronics would have been reduced by now.

Any know why other than Sandisk does not have any competition so they don't have pressure to reduce the price. I would if Canon will put pressure on Sandisk to drop their prices in exchange for using the cFast format in other cameras.

Jul 28, 2015
RGF said:
I am rather surprised that the price of CFast cards have not been reduced. Canon introduced that 1dx M2 well over a year ago. The price of nearly all other electronics would have been reduced by now.

Any know why other than Sandisk does not have any competition so they don't have pressure to reduce the price. I would if Canon will put pressure on Sandisk to drop their prices in exchange for using the cFast format in other cameras.

You write as though the 1Dx2 is a major driver for CFast sales. As I understand it CFast have been used for nearly 10 years in the gaming and video industries so I would think the 1Dx2 is only a small part in driving prices.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
RGF said:
I am rather surprised that the price of CFast cards have not been reduced. Canon introduced that 1dx M2 well over a year ago.

Memory prices, including NAND used in CF cards, are actually high and increased in the past months, because of demand. They may decrease in the next months.

RGF said:
The price of nearly all other electronics would have been reduced by now.

Actually, no. For example cryptocurrencies mania kept demand for GPUs very high, and prices as well.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
RGF said:

Somehow, I doubt that the demand for CFast cards generated by the introduction of the 1DXII could ever be big enough to drive down prices. Obviously the demand for CFast cards hasn't been big enough to convince anybody else to start making them.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Neither cfast or xqd are going to go mainstream any time soon. UHS-III SDXC is going to be fast enough for 99% of people, (and UHS-II is fast enough for 98% of people) so the both cfast and xqd are unlikely to come down significantly in price - they'll both remain niche products for the high-end market and priced accordingly.

Upvote 0