CFexpress Options Bloom: More, Faster, Cheaper

When the R5 came out it seemed like all the CF cards out there were on the wrong side of that bend. And so when some people complained that Canon didn't put two CF ports on the camera, I was thinking "who are these people to demand Canon set things up so I have to spend huge money on a card I don't need?" Even if it was the same per GB as the newer SD card, you couldn't get less than a quarter of a terabyte no matter what, so they were STILL more expensive than a 64 GB card which was all I needed.

So I'm glad to see lower capacity CF cards coming out...but honestly unless one is taking a zillion pictures or long videos, a 64GB SD card (of the newer, faster type) is likely more than enough. (And even a hypothetical 1TB SD card (again of the newer standard) might be enough for others.)
I for one would love two CFx cards, just in case. All it takes is one time that you do a photoshoot and come back empty-handed to realize that a cheap SD card is exactly as advertised, a cheap card. You shouldn't expect too much.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I for one would love two CFx cards, just in case. All it takes is one time that you do a photoshoot and come back empty-handed to realize that a cheap SD card is exactly as advertised, a cheap card. You shouldn't expect too much.
I don't use "cheap" SD cards.

To use an analogy, I'm buying Hondas, not Yugos...and some people complain that the camera accepts things less than Ferraris.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Well, that's a bit of a strong statement isnt it? Sony and SanDisk probably weren't perfect when they started out.
Wait for long term reviews and then make a decision.
I had a SanDisk thumb drive fail ~3 years ago. When I went back to the shop to have it replaced, they had no more of that model - the failure rate was so high the shop was not willing to sell any more of it. They replaced it with a same capacity model by a different manufacturer.

And it wasn't the first SanDisk thumb drive to fail on me. About a decade ago I bought a SanDisk thumb drive that was defective out of the box. Which is why I don't buy SanDisk thumb drives any more.

Upvote 0
For my 5d3 / 5d4 I always used Sandisc cards...
When I got the R5 I switched to Sony Tough, and then when I got a second R5 I picked up an Angelbird card.
The Angelbird card had twice the capacity (512 vs 256,) for close to half the price!!

The Sony is NOT worth the extra money - It gave me a little trouble, but the Angelbird
has been great. Highly recommend!

Angel bird is a great company, with great support.
They may not be as well known as some companies,
but it is easy to see they care about their products -
I have already ordered another 2 Angelbird CFExpress Cards,
and an Angelbird reader (I picked up a Sandisc reader with the first Sony Card)

Upvote 0