Sony's New a7RII Camera Delivers World's First Back-Illuminated FF Sensor

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
153
0
jrista said:
Bodies come and go, not a lot of harm adding a highly compatible body like the A7r II to your kit for a time until Canon gets around to delivering what you need.

+1

To me adding an A7RII to my kit will be an addition to my existing kit and not a wholesale change in the system. That being said, the A7RII will be used for very specific shooting anyway and is unlikely to be my main camera.
 

fragilesi

EOS RP
Sep 2, 2013
468
1
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:
psolberg said:
It seems that with Sony, the engineering team won. With canon, the marketing team won.
How do you figure? Canon clearly wasn't engineering for 4k, nor did they produce a "clear" marketing number like 45 or 50; it's 50.6.

Because Canon have delivered "the most megapixels in a DSLR" and having the most of anything usually means bragging rights.

Interesting perspective. I'd really like to see psolberg answer though, it seems such a strange statement to make.
 

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
153
0
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
Rahul said:
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.

I'd much rather have a Dynamic Range dial. That way you can set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and dynamic range. Maybe even interchangeable sensor options for when I post to Facebook only use the Canon sensor and for all other serious, professional work, the Exmor sensor.
 

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
bdunbar79 said:
Rahul said:
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.

I'd much rather have a Dynamic Range dial. That way you can set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and dynamic range. Maybe even interchangeable sensor options for when I post to Facebook only use the Canon sensor and for all other serious, professional work, the Exmor sensor.

You meet better looking women when you have an exmor sensor too.
 

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
153
0
Sporgon said:
bdunbar79 said:
Rahul said:
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.

I'd much rather have a Dynamic Range dial. That way you can set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and dynamic range. Maybe even interchangeable sensor options for when I post to Facebook only use the Canon sensor and for all other serious, professional work, the Exmor sensor.

You meet better looking women when you have an exmor sensor too.

I guess you have experience on that front, having tested the exmor sensor cameras lately ;)

I guess I'll give the exmor a pass. "Wife kills husband over an outrageous sensor" headline doesn't sound too good.
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
Sporgon said:
bdunbar79 said:
Rahul said:
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.

I'd much rather have a Dynamic Range dial. That way you can set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and dynamic range. Maybe even interchangeable sensor options for when I post to Facebook only use the Canon sensor and for all other serious, professional work, the Exmor sensor.

You meet better looking women when you have an exmor sensor too.

Babe: "Hey there honey, what sensor ya got?"

Me: "Canon"

Babe: (walks away disgusted)
 

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
153
0
bdunbar79 said:
Rahul said:
bdunbar79 said:
Well, you know. Everyone buying the 5Ds/r is doing it for video.

True, and then there are some who need the 50MP stills camera but are NOT buying the 5Ds/r because it doesn't make coffee and also lacks a nuclear strike launch button.

I'd much rather have a Dynamic Range dial. That way you can set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and dynamic range. Maybe even interchangeable sensor options for when I post to Facebook only use the Canon sensor and for all other serious, professional work, the Exmor sensor.

-1

I don't think interchangeable sensors are needed (why increase the cost?). Just dial back 2 stops of DR at the deep end of the exmor sensor and, Presto! You have an image off a Canon sensor. Which is which, people will struggle to tell after you've been through PP with them.
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
dilbert said:
3kramd5 said:
psolberg said:
It seems that with Sony, the engineering team won. With canon, the marketing team won.
How do you figure? Canon clearly wasn't engineering for 4k, nor did they produce a "clear" marketing number like 45 or 50; it's 50.6.

Because Canon have delivered "the most megapixels in a DSLR" and having the most of anything usually means bragging rights.

Had canon released 42.4MP the would have been able to say "the most megapixels in a DSLR" too.

Maybe marketing won at Canon, but drawing the conclusion that Canon Marketing trumped Canon Engineering while Sony Engineering trumped Sony Marketing because the product Canon Engineering produced differs from the product Sony Engineering produced is silly. Even if they had the same design parameters (4K video), it's silly to assume that different solutions means different management direction.
 

Orangutan

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
Oneand0 said:
Sony did it!!! Did it again! Should I wait a little longer to see if Canon can catch up now......NAHHH ;D

Did what, exactly? They have a new sensor that seems to be pretty nice, but how well does the whole package work? Is it worth selling all my Canon kit at a loss to buy? Eh, probably not.

Competition is good, though, and I hope Sony makes a lot a happy customers. It'll be a while before I become one of them.
 

bdunbar79

EOS R6
May 16, 2012
3,152
0
41
Wadsworth, OH
Oneand0 said:
Sony did it!!! Did it again! Should I wait a little longer to see if Canon can catch up now......NAHHH ;D

I would first work on moving out of my parents' basement and letting go of the Tyco train set...THEN buy a camera and lens.
 

Oneand0

Travel and photograph safe!
May 20, 2013
31
0
www.flickr.com
On a serious note, I use my 6D for landscape and use my 7DII for video (manual focus on both). Sony A7r II is a dream come true for me. I'm very pleased and very happy with the shots I have in the link below as a hobbyist photographer, using my 7D, 6D and 7DII. Great experience with Canon, but the technology I have been waiting for finally arrived in the A7r II (not speaking for anyone else). I can read that a lot of Canon people have spoken for themselves on this forum and made the same conclusion over and over again. I also agree with people who are sticking with Canon because they don't want, or feel they don't need the newer technology Sony has come up with because they listen to their customers. I'll go the other way now and improve what I do with a better sensor and 4K video, capturing scenes that mean a lot to me. I have rented an a7s and feel comfortable to know that style is a fit for me.
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
bdunbar79 said:
Ok, on a more serious note: I've had enough pros and cons. Who's getting one??
 

Attachments

  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 453

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,777
2,463
Oneand0 said:
I also agree with people who are sticking with Canon because they don't want, or feel they don't need the newer technology Sony has come up with because they listen to their customers.

So the implication is that Canon doesn't listen to their customers? Unlikely.
 

Orangutan

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
Oneand0 said:
newer technology Sony has come up with because they listen to their customers.
There are different customer groups with different needs. Sony listens to some, Canon to others. So far Canon has more customers. That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement on the Canon side (there certainly is); however, it's completely unjustified to imply that Canon doesn't listen to a large customer base.
 

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
153
0
Orangutan said:
Oneand0 said:
newer technology Sony has come up with because they listen to their customers.
There are different customer groups with different needs. Sony listens to some, Canon to others. So far Canon has more customers. That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement on the Canon side (there certainly is); however, it's completely unjustified to imply that Canon doesn't listen to a large customer base.

In the myopic CR forum space, the fact that Canon doesn't cater to the demands of particular posters by giving them the camera they want MUST mean that Canon doesn't listen to the the customers :p

The fact that most "such" posters are more gearheads first and photographers second be damned.
 
<-- start Taboola -->