CHEAP AA. BATTERIES

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Great Teachers and my friends.
I have very old Canon point and shoot SX 160 IS, and want my wife to use, when she have vacation in Thailand next week. Yes, after 5 or 7 years, the Big button CR 2025 battery for time teller in camera not work, Yes, I change the new battery.
The question for you, Sir/ Madame = I try to use the Cheap 2 AA Panasonic Batteries ( from Dollars tree store = 4 AA Batteries for 1 US Dollars)-- I can shoot only 4-5 photos before power in Batteries run out, But I check with my
meter= the batteries still in full power. BUt, If I use 2 Rechargable Batteries AA " ENELOOP", Yes, I can shoot more than 80 + photos.
The question for you = WHY ?
Thank you, Sir/ Madame.
Surapon

Dear friend Surapon.

I imagine that you refer to cheap batteries non-rechargeable AA. These batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.5 volts but during a shot with flash on, suffering a large voltage drop to about 0.9 volts. After a few minutes, the voltage recovers, but the camera has already fired the low battery alert, and will only return to normal operation when removing and installing the batteries again.

Some models of point and shoot camera has a setting in the menu where you select which type of battery is inside the camera. Thus the camera will not trigger the low battery warning, that occurs when these transient voltage drops, typical of alkaline batteries.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon.

I imagine that you refer to cheap batteries non-rechargeable AA. These batteries have a nominal voltage of 1.5 volts but during a shot with flash on, suffering a large voltage drop to about 0.9 volts. After a few minutes, the voltage recovers, but the camera has already fired the low battery alert, and will only return to normal operation when removing and installing the batteries again.

Some models of point and shoot camera has a setting in the menu where you select which type of battery is inside the camera. Thus the camera will not trigger the low battery warning, that occurs when these transient voltage drops, typical of alkaline batteries.

I suspect you are right-on. The cheap batteries have a high internal resistance, so the voltage drops when a load is put on them. The Eneloop batteries are pretty good as far as internal resistance. My new toy battery checker measures internal resistance, and some of the other high end batteries of the same age have much higher internal resistance. I can only imagine that the low cost batteries that were not intended for high power use will run down quickly.

If you want throw away batteries, get some Duracell batteries. They hold up well.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon.

Thousand Thanks, Sir, Dear great Teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem.
I have learned some thing new in every days.
Surapon.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon.

I suspect you are right-on. The cheap batteries have a high internal resistance, so the voltage drops when a load is put on them. The Eneloop batteries are pretty good as far as internal resistance. My new toy battery checker measures internal resistance, and some of the other high end batteries of the same age have much higher internal resistance. I can only imagine that the low cost batteries that were not intended for high power use will run down quickly.

If you want throw away batteries, get some Duracell batteries. They hold up well.

Thank you, Sir, Dear great teacher , Mr. Mt Spokane.
I will get Duracell batteries for my dear wife----Ha, Ha, Ha, I do not want her to throw my dear Eneloop batteries away.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
surapon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon.

I will get Duracell batteries for my dear wife----Ha, Ha, Ha, I do not want her to throw my dear Eneloop batteries away.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

As I am sure you have learned, Mr. Surapon, it is better to spend a few extra dollars than to give something to your wife that does not work well. ;-)

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
kaswindell said:
surapon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Dear friend Surapon.

Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

As I am sure you have learned, Mr. Surapon, it is better to spend a few extra dollars than to give something to your wife that does not work well. ;-)

THANKSSSS, dear friend Mr. kaswindell.
I have learn from our great teachers---And You too, spend few more dollars better than she will throw the camera away, and tell me = not work any more---Ha, Ha, Ha., Plus buy Canon 1Dx MK II fro Narita, Japan.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
surapon said:
I have learn from our great teachers---And You too, spend few more dollars better than she will throw the camera away, and tell me = not work any more---Ha, Ha, Ha., Plus buy Canon 1Dx MK II fro Narita, Japan.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon
Mr Surapon,
If my wife would throw away a point and shoot and replace it with a 1DxII then I would make SURE I gave her the worst batteries ever ;)

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Stewart K said:
surapon said:
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon
Mr Surapon,
If my wife would throw away a point and shoot and replace it with a 1DxII then I would make SURE I gave her the worst batteries ever ;)

Ha, Ha, Ha, dear friend Mr. Stewart K.
I agree with you 1,000%---We will buy the Cheapo AA batteries, and Get the new Canon 1Dx II.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
JClark said:
Good question, solid answers and lots of love. This thread delivers!

Yes, Sir, Dear Mr. JClark----I agree with you, Because Most of the CR. members Have the best Knowledge in the world for Photography, Who I can call them my great Teachers. Plus most of our dear friends try to help us to get the right answers as best as they can too. Yes, Some time Stupid question from MW, because I really do not know the simple question---BUT I HAVE LEARN FROM THEM PAST THREE YEARS---IF I DO NOT ASK THE QUESTIONS, I WILL NOT KNOW UNTIL I DIE AND STILL STUPID PERSON UNTIL I DIE.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon

Attachments

• IMG_0944-small.jpg
    IMG_0944-small.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Good Morning Mr Surapon.
I often tell people that I am helping that there are no stupid questions, just questions you don't know the answer to. Until you have asked the same question for the third or fourth time, then it is time to find a new teacher as I'm obviously not explaining the answer well enough! :eek: :)
Good to have you back sir.

Cheers, Graham.

surapon said:
JClark said:

Yes, Sir, Dear Mr. JClark----I agree with you, Because Most of the CR. members Have the best Knowledge in the world for Photography, Who I can call them my great Teachers. Plus most of our dear friends try to help us to get the right answers as best as they can too. Yes, Some time Stupid question from MW, because I really do not know the simple question---BUT I HAVE LEARN FROM THEM PAS THREE YEARS---IF I DO NOT ASK THE QUESTIONS, I WILL NOT KNOW UNTIL I DIE AND STILL STUPID PERSON UNTIL I DIE.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Valvebounce said:
Good Morning Mr Surapon.
I often tell people that I am helping that there are no stupid questions, just questions you don't know the answer to. Until you have asked the same question for the third or fourth time, then it is time to find a new teacher as I'm obviously not explaining the answer well enough! :eek: :)
Good to have you back sir.

Cheers, Graham.

surapon said:
JClark said:

Yes, Sir, Dear Mr. JClark----I agree with you, Because Most of the CR. members Have the best Knowledge in the world for Photography, Who I can call them my great Teachers. Plus most of our dear friends try to help us to get the right answers as best as they can too. Yes, Some time Stupid question from MW, because I really do not know the simple question---BUT I HAVE LEARN FROM THEM PAS THREE YEARS---IF I DO NOT ASK THE QUESTIONS, I WILL NOT KNOW UNTIL I DIE AND STILL STUPID PERSON UNTIL I DIE.
Have a great night, Sir.
Surapon

Thank you, Sir, dear friend Mr. Graham.
Nice to be back home at CR. and talk + learn from our Teachers and all Friends again.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0