Cheap Camera Ideas...worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a rebel xt (not xti) and is going to India. She wants to know if, for $200, it's a better idea to buy a point and shoot or another lens to compliment her 18-55mm. My problem is I don't believe there is a good answer to this question. She says used lenses are not an issue, but $200 will still only get you so far.

As you can probably tell she really isn't that into photography as much as she just wants a record of her trip, but I would still like to give her good/correct advice. What say you CR braintrust?

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
MrKorney said:
My friend has a rebel xt (not xti) and is going to India. She wants to know if, for $200, it's a better idea to buy a point and shoot or another lens to compliment her 18-55mm. My problem is I don't believe there is a good answer to this question. She says used lenses are not an issue, but $200 will still only get you so far.

As you can probably tell she really isn't that into photography as much as she just wants a record of her trip, but I would still like to give her good/correct advice. What say you CR braintrust?

50mm 1.8... ::)

Upvote 0
Come on guys, he says she's not that into photography, already has the 18-55mm. and you're recommending the 50mm. prime and the 40mm. pancake...

A brand new EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II costs $199 at amazon.com and it will definitely broaden her options.
Considering the fact that beginners tend to be attached to teles more, she might even get deeper into photography.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
lola said:
Come on guys, he says she's not that into photography, already has the 18-55mm. and you're recommending the 50mm. prime and the 40mm. pancake...

A brand new EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II costs $199 at amazon.com and it will definitely broaden her options.
Considering the fact that beginners tend to be attached to teles more, she might even get deeper into photography.

I Loled at this comment. Remembering that the original kit lens was a fixed prime. ::)

If she wants to go out and see the nightlife , a 50mm will do more good.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
lola said:

Exactly. The 55-250mm may be the best bargain in Canon's lineup (50mm 1.8 is a close second, but for different purposes).

The little zoom is sharp and light. For travel, it will fit the bill very nicely.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
noobs often want a mega super tele zoom, but almost never use it, or use it for something that you could just take a few steps closer to. it is too bad she has the older 18-55 non IS, her oportunities for dim lighting are pretty bad. and the old 18-55 was an awful soft lens. A point and shoot under 250$ will be awful in dim lighting as well however. I might have to jump on the 55-250IS bandwagon

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
I'd vote, in order, depending on what you can actually get within the budget:

18-55IS, 50/1.8, 55-250 (obviously getting all three is ideal, but i doubt you'll get all 3 under $200).
18-55 IS + 55-250 for more focal length options
18-55 IS + 50/1.8 for more low-light options
50/1.8 + 55-250 for the best range, but then keeping the 18-55 non-IS and seeing the quality difference between that and the 2 new lenses she might get disappointed with the wider photos.

Already having a dslr, no mater which one, i wouldn't bother with a P&S (at least, a P&S you can get for less than $500)

Upvote 0
Get a flash. The most glaring flaw of the 18-55 she has will be poor performance in low light. You could get a decent 3rd party flash and go a long way towards remedying that deficiency. Bower, metz, Sigma, Vivitar.

She might even have enough for a flash AND something else, like a tripod or a 50mm f/1.8. The flash plus the nifty fifty would address low light in 2 ways, and (to an extent) also address image quality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.