Circular Polarizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any disadvantages to leaving my circular polarizing filter on my 24-70L 2.8 at all times? My current setup has the polarizing filter directly attached to the lens with a clear filter (the one I bought with the lens just to protect the glass) on top of that. I figured why not protect the polarizing filter too. The immediate disadvantage I can think of is that it makes it impractical to take off the polarizing filter for use on my 70-200L 2.8 II. But are there others?

Thanks in advance.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
I agree the loss of 1-2 stops can be costly in shutter speed or ISO performance in some situation. Originally I had started to shoot with circular polarizing filter whenever I shoot outside in the sun. I since then dialed back on their use to only use them in some situation, mostly for landscape or when I dont need to "freeze" the action.

With the polarizing filter on, I missed several shots where I needed to a higher shutter speed...They are a good tool, but I would not recommend them on all the time.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

personally the only use for a clear filter would be front element protection... Mostly because that said front element is neither cheap nor easy to replace. A CPL isn't that cheap, sure, but its not gonna cost a bomb to replace either. The image degradation from the additional filter just isn't worth it... and if you really wanted to protect the filter, take it off when its not needed?

Personally I only ever take out the CPL when I want to reduce reflections... or use the lights in the sky. Even then... not always.

Its just not worth it staying on the glass long term.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.