What's best polarizing filter brand in 2023?

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I like Polarpro and Breakthrough Photography filters:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The B+W Circular Polarizer Slim would be my choice.
Agree on B+W. The one you link it outdated, though. Also, that one is the ‘regular’ CPL, and the Käsemann version is high transmission so it loses less light. Personally, I have the Käsemann slim CPL in 77mm and 82mm, bought both over a decade ago and they’re still going strong.

B+W dropped the Käsemann moniker when they changed their mount designations and now just call it high transmission (though their catalog still has Käsemann in the description).

The current version I’d get is:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I like Polarpro and Breakthrough Photography filters:
Breakthrough filters get good reviews, but I would never buy from them. There were long delays (years) with their early efforts, many reports of poor customer service, and when their owner came to these forums to defend his company, he made an ass of himself.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Breakthrough filters get good reviews, but I would never buy from them. There were long delays (years) with their early efforts, many reports of poor customer service, and when their owner came to these forums to defend his company, he made an ass of himself.
Oh, that's not good. I like the one filter I have from them. However, it was rather expensive (95mm for the 28-70, though) and came in a really cheap clear plastic case, whereas the Polarpro came with a very sturdy metallic case that was padded inside.

Upvote 0
I was told that a polarizer for the Canon RF 15-35 2.8 was not worth buying.

Many circular polarization filters manufacturers specifically produce filters with an extrathin frame, to reduce vignetting at wide angle (and more expensive too). Why would they do that, if using a polarizing filter with a wide angle results in a blob or unequal sky color?

They are not good for wideangle lens? I'm used to see amazing lake shoots I clearly thing they use a polarizer to the rocks on bottom.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was told that a polarizer for the Canon RF 15-35 2.8 was not worth buying.
I was told the moon is made of green cheese. Perhaps not everything you’re told is true.

They are not good for wideangle lens? I'm used to see amazing lake shoots I clearly thing they use a polarizer to the rocks on bottom.
Ultrawide lenses will often show uneven polarization of the blue sky. Personally, I shoot many things that aren’t blue sky. Water, buildings, vehicles, basically anything with a reflection can sometimes benefit from a CPL, including on a UWA lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What if we shoot on cloudy days, same problem happens? I never tried, sorry for question.
Polarization needs ‘ordered’ light, direct sunlight, reflection off a surface, etc. A CPL is basically ineffective on diffuse light through overcast, at least as far as the sky goes.

This is 24mm with a CPL (and a 10-stop ND):
E232D011-2371-45E5-9984-F5CDBCF5FA76.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Polarization needs ‘ordered’ light, direct sunlight, reflection off a surface, etc. A CPL is basically ineffective on diffuse light through overcast, at least as far as the sky goes.

This is 24mm with a CPL (and a 10-stop ND):
View attachment 208864
CPL = ChaPeL Bridge, Lucerne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0