City Park Photography Fees ???

I have heard of commercial tours paying to photograph in our (USA) national parks, but this one pretty much leaves me speechless ... (A quote from March 2014 issue of Popular Photography, page 14.):

"If you want to photograph at any of the 83 city parks throughout Kansas, you'll now have to fork over $50 for a 5-day permit."

Personally unconfirmed, but anyone else know of this? Comments?

I cannot speak for Kansas, but I know in here in Chicago, when Millennium Park first opened in 2004, commercial and professional photography/videography was prohibited without a permit. After many publicized incidents of tourists, residents, and students being hassled, there was public outcry, and the need for permits was dropped for all but large group or equipment intensive shooting. A friend of mine who shoots weddings and on-location modeling said that since that time he's only needed to buy a permit once, as part of the media crew for a corporate sponsored event. But for weddings, modeling, and prom shots, he's never been questioned.

You will still need to pay a licensing fee if the images of the Bean and other Millennium Park sculptures are used and distributed commercially.

I'm sure other places operate under this premise as well.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
In the downtown area of Dallas, Texas, there is a park with many old buildings. Years ago, in the mid-eighties, there was a fee/permit for professional photographers shooting pictures there. One of the criteria they used for "professional" was the use of a tripod. Also the level of equipment was taken into consideration. I always thought that was stupid. I can see a permit fee for large productions which disrupt the normal enjoyment of the park by others but such rules need to be clearly set out.

Upvote 0
This has been an internet-active story for weeks now.

It's about the town of Overland Park, Kansas. They are charging commercial photographers a $50 fee to do photo shoots in the park(s).

Hardly anything new about this, generally speaking. If you're really curious, it takes about six seconds to google the whole thing.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
In My Home state , North Carolina State Park, Start 2 years ago, Fee for Professional / Commercial Photography = Start from $ 40 US Dollars and UP. And In Private own park such as Duke Garden, Free = if you just use your only camera, but Fee for shooting with External Lights or The Reflectors or Commercial Application.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/photo-permits/

Surapon

PS---In Most of Downtown area in USA. No Tripods to use on the side walk, because of traffic Hazardous = That Building codes in USA.
PS-2 Yes, I get paid work for the North Carolina Park and recreation, I get the letter of the Big Boss/ The Director of NCPR, That why, I do not get stop from the Park rangers.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
I will go to Chicago on June 26-28 this year , to AIA convention and Exposition. ( AIA = The American Institute of Architects)
Do they have any Rule/ Regulation to take the Photos of Downtown Chicago ?.
How save to take the Photos of Downtown in the Early morning before sun rise and in the night after sun set ?
Thanks you, Sir/ Madame. Yes, In the dark, I need to use Tripods too ( ?)
Surapon

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
distant.star said:
Hardly anything new about this, generally speaking. If you're really curious, it takes about six seconds to google the whole thing.

Maybe ... but I find lot more reliable information from personal experiences of CR members, who live in the area of the information being sought, than some of the garbage on google.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
distant.star said:

Maybe ... but I find lot more reliable information from personal experiences of CR members, who live in the area of the information being sought, than some of the garbage on google.

GIGO

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
distant.star said:
Rienzphotoz said:
distant.star said:

GIGO
??? ???

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
distant.star said:
Rienzphotoz said:
distant.star said:

GIGO
??? ???
Garbage In Garbage Out

Upvote 0