Clamp for Black Rapid

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Fusion Photo Gear have developed the quick release for that purpose.
They explain why they created it which was the same reason I was looking for something similar.
It's a very straight forward solution.
I can leave the plate on the camera and either put it on the L-Bracket or connect the Black Rapid to it.
I missed them on Kickstarter - just found them accidently one day.
I've no connection to them, they are American I assume.
I'm happy with them as a solution. They are well made and fit my set up (an L-Plate with a clamp that this fits into ) http://www.acratech.net/l-brackets-and-nodal-rails/universal-l-bracket/

http://fpgear.com/about/
A Photographer’s Story:
As a photographer who likes to shoot outside, I was tired of carrying my heavy camera and lens combinations around my neck with the standard camera strap. So, I bought my first sling-style shoulder strap. I liked that it allowed me to carry my camera at my side, removing the weight from around my neck. However, I quickly discovered that the screw-on attachment loop for the shoulder strap interfered with my ability to use my Arca-Swiss tripod quick release plate. Both devices utilized the ¼”-20 accessory hole on the bottom of the camera. This required me to screw the loop into the camera when I wanted to use the strap, but then remove the loop and switch to a separate quick release plate when I wanted to attach the camera to the tripod. This clumsy set-up was proving difficult for me, as I like to switch between my shoulder strap and tripod often during a shoot.

For example: once I was in a field of tall grass attempting to capture an HDR photo of a tractor close to sunset, and the light was fading quickly. I wanted to put my camera onto my tripod to capture the shot. In the haste to remove my accessory loop, I dropped it into the tall grass. Luckily I found it but it lead me to think, “There has to be a better way…” Right then, the concept of the Fusion Plate started to take form.

Discussing the idea of a quick release plate with a deployable attachment loop with my father (a toolmaker for 10+ years and manufacturing engineer for 25+ years), the concept was refined into engineering drawings and then prototypes. We built several different iterations of prototypes while refining the design to its final form presented here.

My father has a hobby machine shop at his home with various manual machine tools, including a mill and lathe, that were used to make the prototypes. Realizing that our design was a very good idea that needed to be shared with other photographers, we bought a CNC milling machine to be able to manufacture our project more effectively to keep the cost at more reasonable levels.

Eldar said:
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:
I went with Wimberly's C-12.
Up to and including my 500mm I have never had a failure.
I chose to stay away from the quick levers because of the chance of failure.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687461-REG/Wimberley_C_12_C_12_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

I'm sorry, but I do not see a clamp for a lens foot as an acceptable solution. Someone like RRS needs to make a flip out ring as part of their lens feet and/or body brackets so that I can attach my Black Rapid clips directly to the RRS HW. (Under the new patent regulations, by disclosing this concept I relinquish all patent rights into the open and free domain - and I'm good with that. Let the first to file race begin!)

It is not lust a clamp for feet. It is Arcs Swiss comparable. Since every lens and body I have I mount a Arca Swiss plate everything attaches. It is no different than the Kirk or RRS others mention. Although I have the Kirk version also and Wimberly is much sturdier.

Why would RRS make a flip out piece when they can generate another sale by selling the clamps separately?

An integrated flip-out ring in a body bracket or lens foot that is firmly screwed to the body/lens is superior to an add-on clamp. Clamps can be inadvertently activated/released. RRS would do it because it was the right way to solve the problem.
(as a matter of full disclosure, I am a RRS fanboy)
I fully agree! I have been wondering many times why RRS have not included such a flip-out ring. It might be that they would sell fewer clamps, but they would compensate for that by selling more brackets. (I'm a RRS fanboy too).

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Hector1970 said:
I can leave the plate on the camera and either put it on the L-Bracket or connect the Black Rapid to it.

Still trying to understand how you add an L-bracket. The bracket is 'on top' of Fusion plate? Thanks!
It's perhaps too simple.
The L plate sits in a clamp in the ball head (this is normal - I believe)
The L plate itself has a clamp (which might be unusual - I don't know - its an Acratech)
The Fusion Plate is screwed into the camera.
It fits on the L plates clamp.

You can take the camera off the L-Plate and hook on your Black Rapid.

It's ham and cheesy

Upvote 0
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687461-REG/Wimberley_C_12_C_12_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

I'm sorry, but I do not see a clamp for a lens foot as an acceptable solution. Someone like RRS needs to make a flip out ring as part of their lens feet and/or body brackets so that I can attach my Black Rapid clips directly to the RRS HW. (Under the new patent regulations, by disclosing this concept I relinquish all patent rights into the open and free domain - and I'm good with that. Let the first to file race begin!)

It is not lust a clamp for feet. It is Arcs Swiss comparable. Since every lens and body I have I mount a Arca Swiss plate everything attaches. It is no different than the Kirk or RRS others mention. Although I have the Kirk version also and Wimberly is much sturdier.

Why would RRS make a flip out piece when they can generate another sale by selling the clamps separately?

An integrated flip-out ring in a body bracket or lens foot that is firmly screwed to the body/lens is superior to an add-on clamp. Clamps can be inadvertently activated/released. RRS would do it because it was the right way to solve the problem.

Sounds great, but I prefer using things that actually exist over imaginary ones.

The flaw to the idea is you are asking RRS to correct an issue with Black Rapid. Had Black Rapid created a harness that was fool proof this thread wouldn't exist.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
takesome1 said:
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:
JMZawodny said:
takesome1 said:

Sounds great, but I prefer using things that actually exist over imaginary ones.

The flaw to the idea is you are asking RRS to correct an issue with Black Rapid. Had Black Rapid created a harness that was fool proof this thread wouldn't exist.

RRS already makes a clamp that they market specifically as a solution to the Black Rapid issue. They are aware and thinking about solutions. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they come up with next.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hector1970 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Hector1970 said:

Still trying to understand how you add an L-bracket. The bracket is 'on top' of Fusion plate? Thanks!
It's perhaps too simple.
The L plate sits in a clamp in the ball head (this is normal - I believe)
The L plate itself has a clamp (which might be unusual - I don't know - its an Acratech)
The Fusion Plate is screwed into the camera.
It fits on the L plates clamp.

Makes sense now, thanks. I prefer the dedicated plates over the universal type, personally, but the Acratech is one of the better universal designs.

I often hike with the camera on the strap and the tripod on a backpack, so I prefer to just have the L-bracket on the camera the whole time.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Hector1970 said:
You might consider this
http://fpgear.com/
I think this is the ideal solution for the issue.

Interesting solution! I have a couple of issues with it. First, there's no L-bracket option. That lack also confounds use on a lens foot, since different connections would be required for lens vs. L-bracket. Second, it requires you to use the BR carabiner to attach/remove the connection. That takes longer than the Kirk clamp, and is a connection that many found to inadvertently come open (thus BR's add-on solutions).

agreed. Looks interesting but limit it utility. Also no clear how form fitting the plate is. Without form fitting it could twist on the camera body.

Great idea to have integral attachment point, just needs work.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
So it looks to me (I have AS compatible plates on everything) that my best options would be:
1) BR strap attached to a "Lock-tite" reinforced Fastenr on a Kirk clamp,
2) BR strap attached to a "Lock-tite" reinforced Fastenr loop on the RRS B2-FABN clamp or
3) BR strap attached to the "permanent" loop on the Acratech "Swift Clamp"

Did I miss anything?

1 and 2 seem bout the same and both companies have a fine reputation. A possible benefit to the RRS clamp is the strap boss which could let me have a security loop to hold the clamp to the BR just in case one of the components fail (but a security loop would be safer between the camera body and the strap anyway). Both of these options use the Fastenr and add the Lock-tite for security.

3 is appealing because the loop is basically permanently affixed to the clamp but it costs twice the other two options and I don't have a feel for how safe the lever lock is in practice.

I know folks have opinions on this just from this thread but anyone look "head to head" on these?

Upvote 0