Coming firmware for Canon Cinema EOS C70 to have internal 12-bit Cinema RAW Light

Not this C300mk3 owner. A lot of us also own C70s as b-cams… I’d be super happy if this is confirmed.
Yeah same here. I'm happy that the C70 is getting expanded as I use it as a B cam to my C300 MIII.

There's also rumors on possible upgrades/expansions for the C300/C500 cameras as well, so let see how those pan out.

Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
This screenshot is from Canon Uk’s website before they took it down. Took the screenshot myself.
Yeah I read that. I'm ready if it's somehow possible to record at a data rate of 645mb/s on to a 300mb/s card. I also have a Ninja V+ if it isn't possible. Works for me either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Yeah I read that. I'm ready if it's somehow possible to record at a data rate of 645mb/s on to a 300mb/s card. I also have a Ninja V+ if it isn't possible. Works for me either way.
V90 means 90 million bytes/second (90MB/s) guaranteed write speed for video. One byte is 8 bits so 90 million bytes/second is 720 million bits/second (720Mb/s) which is greater than 645 million bits/second. Where are you getting this 300mb/s?

Upvote 0

2Cents

Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
V90 means 90 million bytes/second (90MB/s) guaranteed write speed for video. One byte is 8 bits so 90 million bytes/second is 720 million bits/second (720Mb/s) which is greater than 645 million bits/second. Where are you getting this 300mb/s?
Lol Thanks for the math lesson. My previous response was meant as sarcasm but thank goodness you dropped the math for people who need it, (also sarcasm) considering that All of my v90 cards say 300mb/s. Only very specific v90 cards work in the C70 for 10bit 4K intraframe capture which records @410mb/s. Again all of those numbers really do not matter to me. I care that it works when I want need it to work. Soon this will no longer be a rumor and everyone can calm down. Get out and create with what you have.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Lol Thanks for the math lesson. My previous response was meant as sarcasm but thank goodness you dropped the math for people who need it, (also sarcasm) considering that All of my v90 cards say 300mb/s. Only very specific v90 cards work in the C70 for 10bit 4K intraframe capture which records @410mb/s. Again all of those numbers really do not matter to me. I care that it works when I want need it to work. Soon this will no longer be a rumor and everyone can calm down. Get out and create with what you have.
I've been told countless times that I have no sense of humor. I find it's safer to assume that it's not a joke when it is than risk making the opposite mistake. What manufacturer's cards say 300mb/s and V90, on the same card?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
I've been told countless times that I have no sense of humor. I find it's safer to assume that it's not a joke when it is than risk making the opposite mistake. What manufacturer's cards say 300mb/s and V90, on the same card?
SanDisk Extreme PRO do
Although there may be confusion around the MB (Megabyte) vs Mb (Megabit) printing, I'm inclined to believe it's the former as 300Mbps is under the speed needed for V90 classification (minimum 90 Megabyte per second sustained write speed)

The cards appear with 300MB/S on them not 300Mb/s

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
SanDisk Extreme PRO do
Although there may be confusion around the MB (Megabyte) vs Mb (Megabit) printing, I'm inclined to believe it's the former as 300Mbps is under the speed needed for V90 classification (minimum 90 Megabyte per second sustained write speed)

The cards appear with 300MB/S on them not 300Mb/s
I think they're saying that the maximum BURST write speed is 300 million bytes/second. How would you verify whether that claim was true or false? Capitalization matters. Technically a lower case "m" means milli- or 1/1000. How reliably do those V90 SanDisk cards work with the C70 at high data rates?

Upvote 0
I think they're saying that the maximum BURST write speed is 300 million bytes/second. How would you verify whether that claim was true or false? Capitalization matters. Technically a lower case "m" means milli- or 1/1000. How reliably do those V90 SanDisk cards work with the C70 at high data rates?
I can’t speak for ScanDisk in this camera but stay away from Lexar V90’s. Total garbage. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way. I have since moved on to ProGrade and haven’t had any issues with them.

Upvote 0
The same way BRAW is I suspect. People say BRAW isn't real RAW, I am not sure what the basis for that is, but it gives me every thing want from RAW so I don't care.
I think Canon pays Red or they have some sort of patent-swap or agreement. Canon's raw is true compressed raw, like ProRes Raw or Redcode, whereas BRaw is not true raw. But, it makes sense that Canon was the first to have internal raw and keeps making more compressed raw codecs while Red was the first (and only) non-Canon brand to use the RF-Mount (on both Komodo and V-Raptor). I'd guess that's the partnership/agreement. Raw for Mount.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I think Canon pays Red or they have some sort of patent-swap or agreement. Canon's raw is true compressed raw, like ProRes Raw or Redcode, whereas BRaw is not true raw. But, it makes sense that Canon was the first to have internal raw and keeps making more compressed raw codecs while Red was the first (and only) non-Canon brand to use the RF-Mount (on both Komodo and V-Raptor). I'd guess that's the partnership/agreement. Raw for Mount.
No one knows what this new RAW format is so it is hard to say if it is true RAW or not.

Upvote 0
The same way BRAW is I suspect. People say BRAW isn't real RAW, I am not sure what the basis for that is, but it gives me every thing want from RAW so I don't care.
Cinema RAW Light is a "true" RAW format, probably Cinema RAW Light LT will be too. Canon happens to have a Lens Mount Red likes to use, so these companies have mutual interests. But then Nikon is also bringing ProResRAW and its own RAW format to the Z9. Maybe there's somthing going on with that infamous Red patent backstage we all don't know anything about...

Upvote 0
No one knows what this new RAW format is so it is hard to say if it is true RAW or not.
It's labeled Cinema RAW Light LT, so we can assume it's just CRM with lower datarates. And this is how Canon describes CRM: «In fact, it isn’t a movie file at all, it’s simply a container for all that raw sensor data, and it has to be unpacked, debayered and modified in software before being exported in a choice of formats appropriate for ingestion into popular post-production packages.»
Source: https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/cinema-raw-light/

Upvote 0

2Cents

Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
All good Bob. It’s always tough when you're reading vs a face to face conversation. It really is a great "portable" cinema camera as is. Very exciting when a company releases updates that matter so Raw will be great if the rumor is true. Honestly a bump to the auto focus will be the biggest and most useful upgrade to this camera in my opinion. .

Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
All good Bob. It’s always tough when you're reading vs a face to face conversation. It really is a great "portable" cinema camera as is. Very exciting when a company releases updates that matter so Raw will be great if the rumor is true. Honestly a bump to the auto focus will be the biggest and most useful upgrade to this camera in my opinion. .
An AF update is honestly higher up on my list of wants from new firmware, the C70's AF isn't very good. It's a shame, they have the tech in the R series line for much stickier tracking that seems to hunt far less.

Upvote 0