Coming firmware for Canon Cinema EOS C70 to have internal 12-bit Cinema RAW Light

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will be officially announcing new firmware for the Canon Cinema EOS C70 next week. The new firmware will be available in March of 2022.
I do not have all of the information about this new firmware, but this should make a lot of C70 shooters quite happy.
About the coming firmware for the Canon Cinema EOS C70

The EOS C70 now offers users the ability to capture Cinema RAW Light internally to SD cards. RAW provides you with greater image quality and flexibility in post-production.
On top of the existing 10-bit XF-AVC currently found in the EOS C70, 12-bit...

Continue reading...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Does the mean the plans for the C200 Mk II that were rumored a year ago are now dead? Internal RAW was pretty much the one thing that was going to separate it from the C70, other than the physical camera body and maybe full size XLRs.
I have a feeling that a lot of these updates we are getting are due to the chip shortage. I bet Canon would gladly sell us new cinema cameras if they could get enough of the new line into production. They are probably going to focus on the upper cameras and then we also get the R5c, and updates for the c70. I’m very happy though. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Does the mean the plans for the C200 Mk II that were rumored a year ago are now dead? Internal RAW was pretty much the one thing that was going to separate it from the C70, other than the physical camera body and maybe full size XLRs.

Cinema EOS announcements have been delayed numerous times. I think they have likely continued R&D on the successor to the C200. I do believe there will be an 8K version of the C200 Mark II

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have a feeling that a lot of these updates we are getting are due to the chip shortage. I bet Canon would gladly sell us new cinema cameras if they could get enough of the new line into production. They are probably going to focus on the upper cameras and then we also get the R5c, and updates for the c70. I’m very happy though. :)
I had a mix of emotions. The one thing that caused me to hold out on getting the C70 was the lack of raw and the chance of getting it with the same hardware for under $11K in an upcoming camera, so I was excited to see that now the C70 will have everything I'm looking for! At the same time, I think I might prefer the more tradition cinema camera body that the C200 II would have and was a little worried we might not ever see it.
Cinema EOS announcements have been delayed numerous times. I think they have likely continued R&D on the successor to the C200. I do believe there will be an 8K version of the C200 Mark II
If that is in fact the case, I wonder if it's still worth holding out a little longer and compare the two when we know more about them.

Upvote 0
I had a mix of emotions. The one thing that caused me to hold out on getting the C70 was the lack of raw and the chance of getting it with the same hardware for under $11K in an upcoming camera, so I was excited to see that now the C70 will have everything I'm looking for! At the same time, I think I might prefer the more tradition cinema camera body that the C200 II would have and was a little worried we might not ever see it.

If that is in fact the case, I wonder if it's still worth holding out a little longer and compare the two when we know more about them.

I have had the C70 for a while and the form factor I one of things that has never fully jelled with me. Some days I love that it is smaller and more like a DSLR body than my old C300 and other days I wish it was a little bigger and had more of the C100/C200 style of Body. Ergonomically it's way better than trying to shoot with a R5 but not quite as ideal as the old C100 or C200 which were the sweet spot for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hopefully this is an indication that the R5C could be priced aggressively. If the R5C was close to the price of the C70 on release it may reduce C70 sales as R5C has 8k, IBIS, better AF, full frame sensor, raw, takes photos and likely has a smaller body too. So people would potentially think ‘why would I pay any more for a C70?’ Hopefully this is Canon bolstering the C70 to justify it’s higher cost than the R5C?

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

Updates due to people using their Canon support page and sending in their comments and complaints to Canon vs spending their time complaining on forums. Canon USA has always promptly responding to my comments and complaints and have had success getting my concerns answered. For example, complaints about save camera settings to card sent in resulted in an update six months later.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hopefully this is an indication that the R5C could be priced aggressively. If the R5C was close to the price of the C70 on release it may reduce C70 sales as R5C has 8k, IBIS, better AF, full frame sensor, raw, takes photos and likely has a smaller body too. So people would potentially think ‘why would I pay any more for a C70?’ Hopefully this is Canon bolstering the C70 to justify it’s higher cost than the R5C?
There are other differences between two cameras. Not everyone cares much for shooting with hybrids. Me being one of them. The C70 has internal ND’s (which for me is huge), shutter angle (which is great if you change frame rates often and quickly), XLR inputs, 13 assignable buttons (I use every one of them), and although the sensor is super 35 it’s dual gain with 16 stops of dynamic range and looks amazing. Don’t get me wrong. The R5C sounds great and I might upgrade to one as a B-camera to my C70. There are differences between the two. My guess is the R5C will be priced between $4,000 and $4,300. This very site said a while back it would be priced significantly less than the C70.

Upvote 0
This is amazing. I wonder if they'll cap raw at 30fps. Hoping it goes all the way up to 120fps in 4k. And love that file size - actually makes it usable for a lot of scenarios.
This seems to be a new RAW format with 670mbs datarate. If C200 is an indication 50p and 60p might be possible with 10bit instead of 12bit. But 120p is probably not possible with that datarates. And increasing datarate probably not an option due to SD-Cards limitations.

Upvote 0