Comparing the EOS-1D X, EOS-1D X Mark II & EOS-1D X Mark III

Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, the all-new image sensor (and hopefully jump in IQ) and an all-new and more precise autofocus system are definitely not for photographers. Obviously we have to see it in action first, but to claim there's nothing here for photographers is silly.
The 1dxii is a stellar performer for sports, BIF, etc. Buffer size is not a problem and I’ve never filled it shooting a game. There is no reason for me to spend $7k on a new camera which offers little more than my current body. That’s why it is humorous.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm still coming to grips with the 1000+ raw buffer. At 16 fps, that means it'll take over 62 seconds to reach it, that is amazing. For sports photography this is probably important, since it'll allow a sequence of uninterrupted continuous bursts.

It also means that in JPEG mode you can blow the entire 400,000 shutter actuation rating in a little less than seven hours of continuous shooting. LOL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I'm still coming to grips with the 1000+ raw buffer. At 16 fps, that means it'll take over 62 seconds to reach it, that is amazing. For sports photography this is probably important, since it'll allow a sequence of uninterrupted continuous bursts.

That is a great spec, but I've never had a problem with the buffer on my 1dx2 with sports. I think with the upgraded processors they are able to make the buffer a lot bigger.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
This comparison guide should also show the A9II.

* 24Mp,
* 20FPS,
* 693-Point Phase-Detection AF System
* real time eye tracking AF
I agree but switching brands is neither fun or cheap.
I have more than 30K of Canon lenses that right now I feel like they keep me trapped in the Canon ecosystem.
It was fine for sports and landscape but for birding Canon have no suitable camera and I don’t think they actually care.
The best there’s at this moment is the 1DX Mark II which you can get for a great price.
The resolution could be better but otherwise it’s a great camera for BIF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
This comparison guide should also show the A9II.

* 24Mp,
* 20FPS,
* 693-Point Phase-Detection AF System
* real time eye tracking AF

This is comparing Tesla and Suburban, and saying Suburban is better since it has larger fuel tank.

Currently Canon doesn't compete in mirrorless space, so comparing cameras between DSLR and mirrorless is meaningless.

That said, I really hope Canon finally comes up with mirrorless worth buying. The current ones are just jab at the market, and no real contender to Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
This is comparing Tesla and Suburban, and saying Suburban is better since it has larger fuel tank.

Currently Canon doesn't compete in mirrorless space, so comparing cameras between DSLR and mirrorless is meaningless.

That said, I really hope Canon finally comes up with mirrorless worth buying. The current ones are just jab at the market, and no real contender to Sony.
I think the passengers don’t give a damn about the fuel tank as long as they get to their destination quickly and safely:)
One thing people seem to forget about Dslr’s is the AFMA: such a pain in the back!
I’m so happy the EOS R doesn’t need it !

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I think the passengers don’t give a damn about the fuel tank as long as they get to their destination quickly and safely:)
One thing people seem to forget about Dslr’s is the AFMA: such a pain in the back!
I’m so happy the EOS R doesn’t need it !

Just saying different tools are made for different situations/people. Comparing some specific specs doesn't make sense, especially when comparing different technologies.

I hope the DPAF can be used to do automatic AFMA. I don't understand why that isn't a feature for all cameras with DPAF sensor.

Upvote 0
People want more DR and more megapixels, but ignore the reality that there are only so many photons entering the camera at the exposure time..... you can’t have both At the same time.

I know the point you're trying to make... there are tradeoffs to be made when increasing both. However it would be incorrect to say you cant increase DR and megapixels at the same time. Just look at sensors now vs. 10 years ago.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, the all-new image sensor (and hopefully jump in IQ) and an all-new and more precise autofocus system are definitely not for photographers. Obviously we have to see it in action first, but to claim there's nothing here for photographers is silly.
There is NOT going to be a "jump in IQ", there is nowhere to jump to. Maybe half a stop improvement in camera processed non RAW output, RAW output will be basically identical.

There is NOTHING here for photographers, NOTHING, all the meaningful improvements are video centric, it is essentially a 1DC II.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
we havent even seen the sensor in action for the sarcasm.

Upvote 0
Tou

You forgot to include a rubbish quality of Sony customer service vs an amazing Canon CPS. ;)
I joined CPS nearly 20 years ago, back when it was free if you owned the appropriate kit. Once they replaced an L series AF motor I simply wore out.
Yes, it is good.
Yes it is better than anything Sony has.
No I'm not impressed by the 1DxIII, at least not after the trade marked Canon Cripple Hammer department did it's thing.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
There is NOT going to be a "jump in IQ", there is nowhere to jump to. Maybe half a stop improvement in camera processed non RAW output, RAW output will be basically identical.

There is NOTHING here for photographers, NOTHING, all the meaningful improvements are video centric, it is essentially a 1DC II.
Private how do you conclude there will not be better IQ here? Not even half stop better ISO and a slight improvement in dynamic range? Besides, the speed will ensure fewer shots are missed. No?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
It also means that in JPEG mode you can blow the entire 400,000 shutter actuation rating in a little less than seven hours of continuous shooting. LOL.

Lets be honest though. if you could go around telling people that you blew up a 1d shutter in seven hours you would feel like a KING!!!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0