Concert Shots

cayenne said:
fragilesi said:
cayenne said:
Nice shots all!!

Here's one of mine from a big fest I shot last year...I just loved the moment I caught here...

Very nice shot! I see what you mean. Have you tried a mono conversion on it, I suspect done right it could look quite stunning.

Thank you,

I didn't one this one, but other variations of this shot and others in the concert, I did do B&W versions of and some had great results. I'll try to go look for some here in a bit.

C

Go for it :)

Upvote 0
notapro said:
Here is a photo for this topic. The microphone boom at the lower right of the frame is not a great thing to have in the shot, but I don't think the players would have liked my going onto the stage to move it out of the way.

Nice work, good clarity. I like the way that the upper microphone offers something as it seems in keeping with the artist.

Concerts though are nightmares for things "getting in the way". I took some shots of a female singer dancing with a bright red tambourine once. Well I thought I did, what I actually took was some nice, sharp shots of a red tambourine with a fuzzy blond dancing behind it ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
cayenne said:
fragilesi said:
cayenne said:
Nice shots all!!

Here's one of mine from a big fest I shot last year...I just loved the moment I caught here...

Very nice shot! I see what you mean. Have you tried a mono conversion on it, I suspect done right it could look quite stunning.

Thank you,

I didn't one this one, but other variations of this shot and others in the concert, I did do B&W versions of and some had great results. I'll try to go look for some here in a bit.

C

I thought this one was kind of neat....shot with the 14mm Rokinon manual lens.

Attachments

• Allen_Stone_grigg_V13_52.jpg
    Allen_Stone_grigg_V13_52.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Camera nut said:
Got this picture at Fleetwood Mac concert in Indianapolis last October. They let me take in my Canon SX 50 and we had seats in the 5th. Row. Stevie Nicks turned towards Lindsey Buckingham and, with her hat and all, I got an iconic photo of her.
Pretty cool....wow, I've not been to any concerts of the caliber where they let you take a camera in!!!

Man, she used to be one hot chick back in her heyday!!!

Upvote 0
Actually, I have taken a camera into many concerts; with the venues blessing. For Fleetwood Mac, I called the venue and asked if cameras were allowed. They told me as long as it wasn't a "professional" camera; which they classified as anything with a removable lens, i.e. A D-slr. I walked in with camera on my shoulder and no one batted an eye. I saw Paul McCartney at same venue and took pictures. At that concert we were a LONG way from the stage so the 50x zoom came in handy. Noisy for sure but reasonable for being 150-200 ft. From the stage. I will post a couple of those.

Long story short, call ahead and ask about cameras.

Upvote 0
These pictures were taken at a winery in Temeculah CA a few years back. A little background...The jazz group Fourplay was getting ready to go on tour to support an CD release. They performed at this winery for maybe 150-200 people. I was able to walk right up to the stage and take pictures and nobody cared. These pictures show Nathan East on bass; Larry Carlton on guitar(no longer playing with the group) and Bob James on keyboards. All legends in the world of jazz. An afternoon to remember for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 420
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
I really enjoy shooting concerts. I do some work for a website and in turn often get a chance to get in to some pretty great shows. It also gives me a chance to really test the limits of the 6D ISO capabilities.

F2.8, 1/60, ISO-640

n2n3w0.jpg

F2.8, 1/400, ISO-4000

2hogpk0.jpg

F2.8, 1/640, ISO-12800

nfmpub.jpg

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Really liking some of the shots in this thread. The rockinon 14mm was an inspired choice for that shot cayenne. A couple of years ago I went to a Springsteen concert and was able to sneak in my 60d and 55-250 and got these :D

Attachments

• Bruce (7 of 8).jpg
    Bruce (7 of 8).jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 405
  • Bruce (5 of 8).jpg
    Bruce (5 of 8).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 504
  • Bruce (2 of 8).jpg
    Bruce (2 of 8).jpg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
mackguyver said:
cayenne said:
I thought this one was kind of neat....shot with the 14mm Rokinon manual lens.
That's a bold lens choice for a concert! The shot turned out really well, so it was a good idea for sure.

Thank you!

This was at Voodoo Fest a couple years ago in New Orleans. I was able to get on "staff" for the event..so, I was in the pit and this was one of the small stages and I was able to be very close and lean right on the stage for some of the shots. Also, for most of this there was none of this 3 songs and out thing....

This was my first gig ever shooting something like this. I didn't get paid, but for taking shots (and I can use them for my own self promotion) I got free admission, meals...and access virtually everywhere on the grounds.

It was a great fest and portfolio builder. I took over 3K shots..and really need to find the time to dig in there and start weeding through all of them and working on the gems a bit more with post....

C

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
meanstreak said:
I really enjoy shooting concerts. I do some work for a website and in turn often get a chance to get in to some pretty great shows. It also gives me a chance to really test the limits of the 6D ISO capabilities.

F2.8, 1/60, ISO-640

n2n3w0.jpg

F2.8, 1/400, ISO-4000

2hogpk0.jpg

F2.8, 1/640, ISO-12800

nfmpub.jpg

Some great shots there and I really like the way the lights fall in that keyboardist shot

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
cayenne said:
Here's some more I took at the first.
First group is called Panic in Eden...really nice bunch of guys.
The other is The Cure
I loved the first shot of The Cure. But in the second, Robert Smith is look like my old aunt.

I was thinking the same, really like the shots but The Cure have not aged well . . . the people up on the balcony give a great depth to the "Auntie" shot though.

Upvote 0