Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's great Canon is offering a R5 with possibly only active cooling added. Let people buy it if they're really into the highest quality video they can possibly afford while still having a wonderful stills camera to boot. I do hope that this special video version will drop the 30 minute limit so that everyone can stop complaining about it.

Those who don't need to push the video limits (like me) will be quite happy with what they have and would not need to pay extra (I assume) for the active cooling version, which I assume will be bigger, heavier, with less weather resistance, and less battery life.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .
Canon's only mistake with the R5/R6 introduction was the crummy firmware that used a simple countdown timer to manage heating. I was pretty harsh on them in these forums for doing so because this seemed to wreck otherwise amazing video features, and at a time when many of us were sick of waiting for Canon to finally compete on 4k video.

While I hope future firmware updates improve the situation even further, they've gone a long ways towards fixing this, making the R5 and R6 usable for actual production video and competitive with their rivals. There's only so much you can expect from a sealed camera body, which is why Canon is apparently going to introduce an actively cooled one. For hybrid shooters who need weather resistance, active cooling would be a mistake. For cinematographers who need long record times throughout the day, sealing would be a mistake. Having two models makes sense in this case.

I hope the active cooling or some other change enables the R5c to shoot oversampled 4k60 like the R6. The R6 produces some of the best 4k footage possible right now, better than Sony and on par with the XT3/XT4, except full frame with DPAF. The R5 matches it in 4k30 HQ mode, but not in 4k60.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I wonder if they are going to "unlock" the 5.1k60P internal RAW recording in the 1.6x crop mode as well or keep it at 8K only, as it is just an artificial limitation on the R5, the 1DX III can handle it with the same processor and memory card interface. Although AF is disabled on the 1DX III in 5.5k60p or 4k60p FF mode, while DPAF is fully operational on the R6 in the almost FF 4k60p mode, maybe even Canon is getting confused about which camera can do this and that :)
Video is frustrating right now because every camera has some advantage and some drawback. And not just in Canon land. A lot of people must be looking at this landscape thinking Why can't I get a single camera with all of these features?

IMHO the R6 looks very good as a hybrid/cinema camera right now, for people who don't need some of the upper tier features on dedicated cinema cameras. Thermal limits, while still a bit worse than some competitors, are manageable, and the 4k output is gorgeous. Still there are some perplexing limits like no DCI, no improved C-Log 2/3, and no 5.5k RAW.

Curious to see what else Canon throws in an R5c, besides a fan, vs the R5/R6.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
For those who worry about weather resistance of actively cooled body: EL-1 has active cooling and is sealed with 1D level of weather resistance.
I'd be more curious about ergonomics, especially about shapes chosen for a weather sealed actively cooled camera, because intake and exhaust should not interfer with hand grip, with user face when using viewfinder, and with tripod plate.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Well, if it is identical to R5 spec wise, but drops the 30 min limit and avoids overheating, I am in, even without built-in ND. It will replace both R5 and SONY 4K 1" camcorder I carry now. But we all know Canon, right? It will be most likely not as good for stills as R5 is, if previous history teaches us anything.
If they use the same 45mp sensor I don't see how it could be worse for stills, other than the compromised weather sealing for active cooling of course.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Video is frustrating right now because every camera has some advantage and some drawback. And not just in Canon land. A lot of people must be looking at this landscape thinking Why can't I get a single camera with all of these features?

IMHO the R6 looks very good as a hybrid/cinema camera right now, for people who don't need some of the upper tier features on dedicated cinema cameras. Thermal limits, while still a bit worse than some competitors, are manageable, and the 4k output is gorgeous. Still there are some perplexing limits like no DCI, no improved C-Log 2/3, and no 5.5k RAW.

Curious to see what else Canon throws in an R5c, besides a fan, vs the R5/R6.
Looks like this R5C will be that camera, the question is how much. They can't use 1DC pricing anymore but I expect a way bigger price gap compared to the A7SIII and FX3 where they changed the housing but didn't add any extra features.

For me the R6 / 1DX III share a common flaw: rolling shutter is very high in FF 4k30p mode (even worse than the EOS R cropped 4k, which was already bad), it is only good in 4k60p or crop mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I hope they don't just pull an FX3 and make the exact same camera but sliiiiightly different. For an R5c to have a place, it has to have some big video advancements. Something like S1 sized, no record limits, with internal NDs and a mini XLR or two (or at least an XLR adapter), and timecode would be AMAZING. The C70 is close, but it's still a chunky beast and non full-frame.

If I had to pick two features, it would be some sort of XLR module or mini XLRs on body and a timecode port (like the S1H).
I’m thinking this will be Canon’s answer to the FX3. But I agree that they need to include NDs, Timecode and anamorphic modes. There should also be an option for professional sound inputs. A tilt/flip screen would be awesome, along with an EXF that can flip/rotate.
Lastly, build it well. No more plastic fantastic please.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I’m thinking this will be Canon’s answer to the FX3. But I agree that they need to include NDs, Timecode and anamorphic modes. There should also be an option for professional sound inputs. A tilt/flip screen would be awesome, along with an EXF that can flip/rotate.
Lastly, build it well. No more plastic fantastic please.
I think this is Canon's answer to 6kPro.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
For those who worry about weather resistance of actively cooled body: EL-1 has active cooling and is sealed with 1D level of weather resistance.
I'd be more curious about ergonomics, especially about shapes chosen for a weather sealed actively cooled camera, because intake and exhaust should not interfer with hand grip, with user face when using viewfinder, and with tripod plate.
I hope for a formfactor like the S1H. Its a perfect body, (and otherwise incredible great camera.). Only reason I ditched it was the not usable AF.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Such a slap in the face to those of us who bought the R5 IMO.
I bought the R5... And returned it. Then bought the Sony A7S3. Had Canon not experienced overheating issues on the R5, I would have saved a pretty penny. I still love Canon but currently they do not make a buddy that I want. Which is a shame since I have a nice collection of EF and RF glass. Perhaps this R5C will be the ticket?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
For me the R6 / 1DX III share a common flaw: rolling shutter is very high in FF 4k30p mode (even worse than the EOS R cropped 4k, which was already bad), it is only good in 4k60p or crop mode.
This should be a firmware fix. It has decent rolling shutter in 4k60, probably because it drops to 12-bit readout. Since 12-bit readout is still larger than C-Log, they should do the same for 4k30p.

Little details like that and like no DCI, which would literally be a firmware update, do not make sense to me.

Upvote 0