Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

croviking

1000D, 250D, 90D, ...
Sep 4, 2019
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
That's good news for future R5 owners who will buy 2nd hand units from the current R5 owners who go R5c

I favor weather sealing over long 8k record time.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
As for weather sealing, I for one do about .01% (or less) of my shooting in rain/dust storms and the like so weather sealing has really never been a problem - and there are disposable sleeves which would provide adequate protection for the time I’m might need to shoot in unfavorable conditions.

I’m also primarily a stills shooter so a 30 minute limit isn’t something that’s ever been a problem.

That being said, and correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the R5 simply create a new file at the 30 minute mark and continue recording? If so what problems are encountered in Post trying to join them? Are there glitches, dropped frames, whatever?
If not what’s the big deal for continuous recording if not just for convenience sake?

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Well u
Nice. This is exactly what all the videographers were asking for. We are willing to sacrifice some weather resistance for active cooling.

CLOG 2 is great news for dynamic range fans as well.

well us photographers weren’t, I’m happy with my compact weather sealed R5 body. It IS a camera first after all.

I am puzzled why videographers don’t buy a video camera. There is plenty on the market.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
As for weather sealing, I for one do about .01% (or less) of my shooting in rain/dust storms and the like so weather sealing has really never been a problem - and there are disposable sleeves which would provide adequate protection for the time I’m might need to shoot in unfavorable conditions.

I’m also primarily a stills shooter so a 30 minute limit isn’t something that’s ever been a problem.

That being said, and correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the R5 simply create a new file at the 30 minute mark and continue recording? If so what problems are encountered in Post trying to join them? Are there glitches, dropped frames, whatever?
If not what’s the big deal for continuous recording if not just for convenience sake?
No you have to hit the record button again. At 29:59 the Camera will stop recording internally and must be restarted.

Issue for some and not for others.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Well u

well us photographers weren’t, I’m happy with my compact weather sealed R5 body. It IS a camera first after all.

I am puzzled why videographers don’t buy a video camera. There is plenty on the market.
Because we are hybrid shooters and not just videographers.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Such a slap in the face to those of us who bought the R5 IMO.
I think people ought to be blaming themselves, for backhanding themselves. I have no idea how this can be a slap from Canon. The time limitations were publicized before the release of the R5 by Canon. People who just spent all that money without reading what they were buying? More money than sense.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
No way to sort heating issues out. It does what it is advertised to do with the limitations of being without a fan.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
“Everyone in the world must think, shoot, and have needs identical to my own, so I’m going to complain that this camera is pointless or that it was insulting not to have from the start “ - this forum.

Personally, I’d love to see an R5c. I’d also like to see a C70 with a viewfinder and the snappy responsiveness of R cameras (AF especially). An R5c with internal NDs sounds almost too good, but maybe BlackMagic has disrupted enough for that to be on the table.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
“Everyone in the world must think, shoot, and have needs identical to my own, so I’m going to complain that this camera is pointless or that it was insulting not to have from the start “ - this forum.

Personally, I’d love to see an R5c. I’d also like to see a C70 with a viewfinder and the snappy responsiveness of R cameras (AF especially). An R5c with internal NDs sounds almost too good, but maybe BlackMagic has disrupted enough for that to be on the table.
The nd filters are too good to be true—and don’t forget: Blackmagic’s poor AF. But I’d like to see a removable viewfinder.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

They didn't mention a ND in the post. I'm guessing we won't see that in a R body until they have a global shutter which has no mechanical shutter which frees up room for a ND. But if they surprise us and include a ND then it would be major benefit for stills users as well as video ones and with that and active cooling it would be a considerable step up from the R5, except for the bigger size, weight, cost (I assume), shorter battery life, and lesser weather sealing(I assume).

Upvote 0