Counting down my five favorite Canon digital cameras ever. Coming in at #4…..

Bob Howland

EOS RP
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Phil Askey, the founder of DPReview, commented that, for many 5D buyers, it "completed the transition from film to digital." Certainly that was the case with me. After I bought it, I only shot one roll of film, in an EOS3 that I loved. It wasn't until I bought a 5D3 that I would have a camera as good as that EOS3.

dslrdummy

EOS RP
Aug 28, 2012
I went straight from Minolta Dynax to the 5D. Passed on the 5D2 and eventually bought the 5D3. Sold the 5D only a few years back to a first time full-frame user and he was stoked. Much like I was when I first bought it. Like the early Leica digitals, had a certain look to the files which the later (higher mp) sensors didn't.

Last edited:

Mr Majestyk

EOS RP
Feb 20, 2016
Australia
My five favourite Canon cameras

1DII, 1DIII, 1DIV, 1DX and 5DsR. Loved my 5D, 5DII, 5D3 and 5DIV, but the IQ from the 5DsR is amazing and it made a decent wildlife camera, IMO the AF worked better than on the 5DIII.

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I had owned the original Digital Rebel, added an XTi when it came out, retired the Rebel for a 40D and still felt that something was missing (prior to digital, 34 years of 24x36mm film cameras, mainly the Canon F-1). I owned the (for then) brilliant EF 70-200 f:2.8 L IS, but of course on crop it ends up as 110-320mm, not ideal for portrait. The 5D changed everything. Finally a proper use of that lens' capabilities, and the 24-105 L that came with the kit was the perfect flash studio lens (for me). The inexpensive 17-40 completed the camera bag, with a 35 L for low light. I have had on and off some APS-Cs for specific uses (7D for sports, SL1 for lightweight) but full format was the way to go and the 5D opened that door. I purchased a second one to reduce lens changing and have backup on long travel expeditions.