CR Admin - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have the jumping problem, and I am on IE. My question is - when all my other sites are OK, why should I be forced to change to a program with which I am unfamiliar for this one only? Unlike others here, I am NOT a computer geek; only an ordinary user. Thus, even though some may think me ignorant or clueless, I have no need nor a desire to spend hours learning new software for only one site. I DO like Canon Rumors and would like to continue using it, but not at the expense of switching to and learning a new program.

Consequently, I have decided to "check in" from time to time [as I have done today], hoping that the problem will be fixed. If nothing is done in the next few weeks, I'll simply drop out.

Zen :( :(

Upvote 0
Zen said:
I too have the jumping problem, and I am on IE. My question is - when all my other sites are OK, why should I be forced to change to a program with which I am unfamiliar for this one only? Unlike others here, I am NOT a computer geek; only an ordinary user. Thus, even though some may think me ignorant or clueless, I have no need nor a desire to spend hours learning new software for only one site. I DO like Canon Rumors and would like to continue using it, but not at the expense of switching to and learning a new program.

Consequently, I have decided to "check in" from time to time [as I have done today], hoping that the problem will be fixed. If nothing is done in the next few weeks, I'll simply drop out.

Zen :( :(

well that was a personal request, not from the CR admins, so you are free to do what you like, however its not new software, if you know how to drive a Ford then you know how to drive a Honda, however security, feature set, and performance are among the top reasons other browsers are better.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
meywd said:
Dylan777 said:
meywd said:
As a software developer i ask this:

Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Tor, or even program your own browser, but please stop using IE :'(

If I'm a "software developer", I would identify the bugs and improve or fix it.

My IE works fine on everything, except CR. I do home Chrome, however, I've been using IE since........ ::) I have lot of sites under favorite.

That's easier said than done, the problem with IE is that during most of it's lifetime it was outside the standards, other browsers tried to follow the standards while IE (Aka. Microsoft) made their own, which meant more work for developers, and with each new version of IE they fixed something and broke another, in recent versions (IE 10-11) they have done a better job at following the standards and so less work is needed, still for the past pains it caused the developer community we still hate it.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I USE IE for CR and have no jumping. I use a ad blocker which is likely why I see no issue.

I am also a Chrome and Mozilla user, and use the Browser that works best with each site. They all have problems with certain sites. I create shortcuts to frequently visited sites which use the browser that works best. I use Chrome for Fred Miranda, and Mozilla for my NAS control panels and my Router control panel. I just signed up for HBO GO, and, so far, Mozilla works, but Chrome plays it smoothly and is the best. IE does not like it at all.

Its mostly a function of the programmers, they seem to favor one browser, and tune their site for it. That's likely also a reflection of which authoring tools they use.

I follow the same approach, if a thing need ActiveX i use IE, else Firefox unless it has a problem then Chrome, the reason for favoring a browser - which only applies to IE - is that the majority of the internet population used only IE for a long period of time, which made it less worthy to care about other browsers, however with HTML 5 taking the stage that is changing, all browsers are trying their hardest to follow the standards, yes there are still tweaks targeted for IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari but there are frameworks that take care of that.

I use IE Firefox & Chrome as well. Different sites and processes work better in each. Chrome is default though...

Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
+ whatever :eek:

While I am in 'feedback' mode... could you guys also consider comments, tags labels etc referring to Rebel T(?)I and the xxxD EU equivalent together if poss. Whenever the 'T' designation is used, I keep having to open a new tab in my unreliable IE to see what the hell it is :-\. Maybe I am just too lazy to make an equivalence table but there must be a lot of UK/EU readers use this site and have the same issue? Even if we don't own the cameras ourselves, we probably know a lot of people that do and would benefit from knowing about problems and firmware upgrades etc.

Thanks

:p

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
JumboShrimp said:
Pleeeeeeease fix the jumping site when ads load. It's really annoying in Explorer. Thank you!

I can't do anything with such little information. I need OS version and service pack number and version of Internet Explorer.

As others have said, that is the worst browser to troubleshoot. We'll do our best figuring it out, it'll be one of two things.

Upvote 0
Zen said:
.......why should I be forced to change to a program with which I am unfamiliar for this one only?.....
Think of such a switch as conceptually similar to adding lenses and/or flashes and/or supports etc. to your photography kit so as to increase functionality.
Kit lenses are included to get you up and shooting easily with reasonable versatility, somewhat the same for pop up flashes.
I.E. is included with Windows to get you browsing, adding FREE browsers adds capabilities. Adding extensions to those freebies adds yet more capabilities.
Learning alternate browsers isn't hard, it's also unlikely you'll break anything in the process.

You will have to select among your potentially installed browsers, one as a default.
I've used FireFox as default for many years for a whole lot of reasons. But there are some sites it just doesn't play nice with.
One FF extension, Open With, allows any page to be opened in any other installed browser with a simple right click on the page, then choose which browser to also open the page. All installed browsers are readily available, I'll occasionally have the same page open in four different browsers at the same time.
---
As your photography skill set cannot grow without experimentation on your part, neither can your computer skills.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
lilmsmaggie said:
Ah! -- I'm seeing it now from my work computer.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 -- Not running IE. Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 m

Canon Rumors said:
We have fixed it on our end, let me know if any of you still have issues.

Please include OS Version and IE version.

Cheers,
Craig

It jumps with Chrome?

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
lilmsmaggie said:
Ah! -- I'm seeing it now from my work computer.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 -- Not running IE. Chrome Version 42.0.2311.90 m

Canon Rumors said:
We have fixed it on our end, let me know if any of you still have issues.

Please include OS Version and IE version.

Cheers,
Craig

It jumps with Chrome?

Si Senor -- at the moment anyway. Could be a network glitch :) -- who knows

UPDATE: I'm now accessing CR from my laptop via Wifi. Same OS, Same browser. No issues

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.