Craigslist 5D3 for 2900, good deal or buy 5d2 or 6d?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the cash, I want full frame very badly. I don't need that much camera as I'm not professional but 2900 for 7k shutter sounds like a good deal. There's a big camera sale coming this weekend locally I wonder if they might have 5d2s cheaper? Obviously the 5d3 is a heck of a lot more camera than 5d2(5d2 im sure would be amazing) and heck the rumored 6d might be more than 5d2(5d2 still prolly way awesome?). I just don't want to miss a potential good deal, unless you guys think prices on 5d3 an 5d2 may drop a bit after a potential 6d comes out? I have a 40d and 50d with a few efs lenses but I don't mind selling them, I would sell the 17-55 and 40d most likely. I can be very impulsive so I'm looking for grounded people to give me better advice. And if I go with 5d2 I want to buy the kit new. Thanks everyone I know I'm not the first one to make a thread like this!!

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
With the rumors of a new FF body this fall (EOS 6D) and a high MP body being announced around Christmas (likely launching Q1 2013), I wouldn't make any significant camera purchase right now. Canon is currently in the mode of responding to the D800, and I have a feeling we won't see the full breadth of their EOS lineup for another 90-120 days.

If I were you I'd sit tight for a few months. I know that is sometimes hard to do, but I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait. If you just can't wait, go 5D Mark II, it's still the best selling FF of all time and holds its value well. Having used the 5D3 for more than three months, I can honestly say that it's really not worth the cost increase over the 5D2. I know I'll probably get slammed for saying that, but that's my honest opinion.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 5D MK III is a fine camera, but was not worth the difference in price to me, I had big time issues with not being able to see the AF points in low light, and since I always use the center point, the 5D MK II dos very well.
I returned my 5D MK III and managed to use the Canon CLP to buy a refurb for $1407. It had about 385 shutter actuations, virtually new. I had sold my original 5D MK II for $1700, so I did ok.
At some point Canon will be selling them as refurbs, and I'll consider one then, if its on the CLP list of available bodies..

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
kennephoto said:
I have the cash, I want full frame very badly. I don't need that much camera as I'm not professional but 2900 for 7k shutter sounds like a good deal. There's a big camera sale coming this weekend locally I wonder if they might have 5d2s cheaper? Obviously the 5d3 is a heck of a lot more camera than 5d2(5d2 im sure would be amazing) and heck the rumored 6d might be more than 5d2(5d2 still prolly way awesome?). I just don't want to miss a potential good deal, unless you guys think prices on 5d3 an 5d2 may drop a bit after a potential 6d comes out? I have a 40d and 50d with a few efs lenses but I don't mind selling them, I would sell the 17-55 and 40d most likely. I can be very impulsive so I'm looking for grounded people to give me better advice. And if I go with 5d2 I want to buy the kit new. Thanks everyone I know I'm not the first one to make a thread like this!!

BUY IT NOW! 8) Got mine on evil bay for 3099.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.