Crazy CPS Point Values

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I’m still trying to work out how a budget fairly average EF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 IS USM non L gets 40 points while a mega expensive EF 600MM F/4L IS USM huge white L only gets 35 points and the non 600 L non IS gets over twice as many points as the IS version??It does not make sense based on lens age or value.
It absolutely does not make sense based on lens age or value.

Cheers, Graham.

My 100L gets 2 pts while the 135L gets 8. It does not make sense based on lens age or value.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Reviving this thread... Wow! Just found that my R6 is worth 4 CPS points. And so is my 80D!!! Btw, EOS R scores a 5.

Another interesting discovery. The ancient CPS entry fields don't seem to have the ability to screen out bogus serial numbers--at least not immediately. I found this out by accidentally entering my camera's serial number instead of a lens (which I had forgotten to add last year). The site accepted the mismatched serial number and added my points for that lens.

So, it ain't only DPP that could use a refresh.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Reviving this thread... Wow! Just found that my R6 is worth 4 CPS points. And so is my 80D!!! Btw, EOS R scores a 5.

Another interesting discovery. The ancient CPS entry fields don't seem to have the ability to screen out bogus serial numbers--at least not immediately. I found this out by accidentally entering my camera's serial number instead of a lens (which I had forgotten to add last year). The site accepted the mismatched serial number and added my points for that lens.

So, it ain't only DPP that could use a refresh.

Cheers!

I went and looked...how is it that the R is worth more points than either the R6 or the R5?

I note that the EF 100-400 L II is worth 12 points all by itself (i.e., you can get a silver membership for it even if all you do is stick it onto a Rebel), though if you have the prior version (which we're not supposed to call the mark I) it's only good for five points.

Nothing from the M series is on the list, not even the M6-II. And it looks like my 100mm macro without-the-L isn't worth any points in spite of the fact that I actually have been paid for work with it.

But I do have over 50 points. I could be platinum if I were willing to fork over 300 bucks a year. (This assumes that the 13 points of items I bought as refurbs count.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure there is a method to the madness, but the old ef 135mm f/2L is worth 8 points on Canon Pro Services, while the new rf 85mm f/1.2L is worth only 6 points. The ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II is still worth 12 points!

And get this, the "kit" lens rf 24-105mm f/4L IS is worth 8 points...More than the 85mm!

Now, to be sure, this doesn't affect my life in the slightest. I'm just curious.

Insights?
My new R5 body... 5 points..! That's it... My 300mm f2.8 IS L ...0 My 200mm f1.8 L....... 0 My 20 year old 135mm f2.0 L ...8 points... My much younger 24-70mm f2.8 L, 0 points... Nuts..!

• Wow
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]Another interesting discovery. The ancient CPS entry fields don't seem to have the ability to screen out bogus serial numbers--at least not immediately. I found this out by accidentally entering my camera's serial number instead of a lens (which I had forgotten to add last year). The site accepted the mismatched serial number and added my points for that lens. [..]

CPS Europe does check serial numbers and they are slow and/or lazy with updating them. I couldn't add my RF100-500 and RF85 f/2. clicking on 'support' leads you to Canon support which will respond with "That's a CPS issue, contact them" and the CPS contact info leads back to regular Canon support :(

After a week or 2 the checks are updated and you can finally add your new stuff.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I just added my R5. I noticed my 5D MK IV had 8 points while my R5 had 5 points. Also strange is that I see my 35mm f/1.8 can be added, a low cost 24-105mm STM gets points, but some of the other consumer lenses that cost a lot more aren't in the list. Even my old 5D MK III is there for 3 points.

I think they have changed the formula for giving points but only for newly added cameras or lenses, so my several year old 24-70 f/2.8L II still has 12 points. Same with my 70-200L. I wonder how many points for a newly added MK iii version?

Upvote 0