CR's new unrelated advertising

Today for the first time I see advertisements on the front page of CR. While I understand a site owners right to profit from it's data base of subscribers, at least make the ads relevant to the audience!

Really strange, now I cannot see the ads. I meant to do a screen shot, but did not!

Ok now i found it, it is on the page for new DGI Mavic pro II AND on every main announcement on the home page!

Sorry, I do not approve on this actions...

Mar 25, 2011
Ads are based on web sites you have visited, and if you use Facebook, it may even include ads for sites your friends have visited. You can clear out your cookies and then get randomly inserted ads that may be all photography oriented.

I strongly suggest that you educate yourself about how ads are directed based on your browsing history.

https://privacy.google.com/how-ads-work.html

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
langdonb said:
YuengLinger said:
Please, support sites by either donating or not whining about advertising. For crying out loud.
So you would ask me or anyone to support the ads I posted?

You might try reading again what I wrote. Especially the part about whining.

Better yet instead of complaining, make some helpful suggestions regarding paying the bills to keep this site running.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
YuengLinger said:
langdonb said:
YuengLinger said:
Please, support sites by either donating or not whining about advertising. For crying out loud.

Better yet instead of complaining, make some helpful suggestions regarding paying the bills to keep this site running.

Yeah, with all the people that view this site, it probably costs a lot. I blame all these people who stay logged in 24/7 (I'm sure I'm missing a few):
ethanz, Click, neuroanatomist, hmatthes, Canon Rumors, bholliman, kphoto99, sedwards, YuengLinger, slclick, ahsanford, sanj, Talys, Mt Spokane Photography, Jack Douglas, ajfotofilmagem, Valvebounce, rrcphoto

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ethanz said:
YuengLinger said:
langdonb said:
YuengLinger said:

Yeah, with all the people that view this site, it probably costs a lot. I blame all these people who stay logged in 24/7 (I'm sure I'm missing a few):
ethanz, Click, neuroanatomist, hmatthes, Canon Rumors, bholliman, kphoto99, sedwards, YuengLinger, slclick, ahsanford, sanj, Talys, Mt Spokane Photography, Jack Douglas, ajfotofilmagem, Valvebounce, rrcphoto

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 9.41.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 9.41.45 PM.png
    65 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Logging on does not require significant computer power. Doing searches, uploading images and videos, looking at topics with hundreds of pages of images, each of which must be rendered take significant CPU, but individually, its still not much. When 10 thousand are using the site, it gets bogged down a little, the 1600 some logged in right now are not a issue.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Don Haines said:
I keep getting adds for retirement homes, and I have never searched for them.....

Does Google know something that I don’t?

Yes. Both Google and Facebook extract significant information about you based on a combination of the data you voluntarily give them and information gathered from your internet habits. The easiest way for them to do this is to serve Like and +1 buttons all over the web. Then they can know which sites you frequent. They can also see from where you access these by doing geolocation on the IP used to retrieve those buttons. On top of that, both Facebook and Google record voice data from your smartphone unless you opt out. This is not expressly for purposes of targeting ads, but seeing how having a discussion on a topic you don't care about can make ads for that pop up next time you unlock your phone...

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if both Facebook and Google knew your full name, home and work address (I know google found that about me without me telling them), phone number, a few relatives and friends, main 5 interests, top 10 most likely favourite dishes, most common colour in your wardrobe, last 10 illnesses you've had and when, illnesses among your relatives and acquaintances (and could do pattern matching to figure out who has what from that), household income level, probability of you moving home in the coming 6 months, ...

All this without you telling them. Retirement homes ads? Not surprising a bit if they believe you're >60yo, your spouse is 55+, you've done searches for at least 3 age-related illnesses in the last 12 months and your probability of moving home in the coming 6 months exceeds 10%.

I get loads of generic ADs for how to get rich fast, unbelievable images from north korea and grow your own willie. But then again, I'm using a no-tracking extension called Ghostery that disables all like, share, +1 and similar buttons, as well as site statistics scripts, ad network tracking scripts and a boatload of other stupid things. And I've denied facebook microphone access on my phone and turned off voice search and voice history in my google prefs.

Upvote 0