CR's new unrelated advertising

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The MoneyWise issue has been resolved.

It costs thousands of dollars a month to host this site, plus the ongoing development costs. The new forum update that will be online soon will cost me thousands and thousands of dollars. Then the web site update will double that cost and it will never end. Web sites have to earn revenue. Sometimes a revenue stream turns out to be a bad one, but they are quickly removed, I don't like intrusive things on the site.

We've removed any sort of video ads, we've never had any popups or page takeovers, those are lucrative, but people hate them. Sometimes these things still slip through the ad networks, but that shouldn't be all that common.

With all of the copycat sites and on and on, revenue streams get smaller and we have to find new ways to bring money in.

There will be new revenue streams that are not intrusive that you'll see here over the next 6 months or so.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I guess it was resolved before I tried, I only saw ads based on items I had searched for online.

I mentioned my use of a cochlear implant in a post here yesterday, and today, there is a ad. Its for a different brand than I have, and once you select a brand, you cannot practically change without $100,000 surgery, so the targeting is not perfect, or it would have listed accessories for my brand.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Craig,

What is your take on the link kickback such as the type Bryan at TDP uses? Is that sort of thing available/viable here? Also I know it might be a touchy subject and you wouldn't want to venture into Ken Rockwell territory but a 'Tip Jar' of sorts? I have a hunch myself and many others who find this site invaluable would like to contribute.

B

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
slclick said:
Craig,

What is your take on the link kickback such as the type Bryan at TDP uses? Is that sort of thing available/viable here? Also I know it might be a touchy subject and you wouldn't want to venture into Ken Rockwell territory but a 'Tip Jar' of sorts? I have a hunch myself and many others who find this site invaluable would like to contribute.

B

I have some plans that are a little less forward and I think may add value.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Craig.
How about a fund raising drive similar to Wikipedia, once a year asking for just a few dollars to support our addiction to your site doesn’t seem out of line, :) purely voluntary in participation and amount, enabling people to donate an amount they feel is commensurate to the value they perceive the site offers.
I hate the begging adverts for charities that insist I donate just £3 a month! :mad:

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I don't mind ads generally, especially if that pays the bills. Targeted ads will sometimes provide useful information, such as making me aware of something new in which I might be interested. Where it doesn't work so well is when I keep getting ads for places I visited in recent months and probably won't go back to for a long time, if ever.

However, as recently as yesterday, I was getting ads that took over the browser on my iPad, and wouldn't let me get back to the board content. So I just closed the tab and waited until I was using the computer to read this board. I don't have the problem on my Mac.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Get rid of targeted ads by clearing the cache of cookies in your browser. Google reads them in order to decide which ads to show you. You will still get ads, they may be random.

I've been seeing ads for glasses lately, after I accidentally stepping on a pair and looked online at replacements. Fortunately, there was no real damage done, so I'm not ready to buy my next pair yet, but ads for glasses are not annoying.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
stevelee said:
However, as recently as yesterday, I was getting ads that took over the browser on my iPad, and wouldn't let me get back to the board content. So I just closed the tab and waited until I was using the computer to read this board. I don't have the problem on my Mac.

I get that on my iphone too. Almost like the web server has some malware or something.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ethanz said:
stevelee said:

I get that on my iphone too. Almost like the web server has some malware or something.

There's no issue with CR or malware on the server, this is a problem with ad networks and seems to affect iOS/Safari far more than any other OS/Browser combination. Though Android/Chrome aren't immune.

I have seen similar things on Yahoo.com, CNN.com and other big sites.

Ad networks are working on this and hopefully it'll become a thing of the past soon.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Canon Rumors said:
ethanz said:
stevelee said:

There's no issue with CR or malware on the server, this is a problem with ad networks and seems to affect iOS/Safari far more than any other OS/Browser combination. Though Android/Chrome aren't immune.

Ad networks are working on this and hopefully it'll become a thing of the past soon.

Ok thanks. As a bandaid, I just start loading a page on my phone and hit stop loading when it gets to a point I can read what I need to. That stops it from loading the ads and redirecting the site.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ethanz said:
Canon Rumors said:
ethanz said:
stevelee said:

Ok thanks. As a bandaid, I just start loading a page on my phone and hit stop loading when it gets to a point I can read what I need to. That stops it from loading the ads and redirecting the site.

Interesting idea.

I wish this nonsense wasn't going on.

Do you come to the site directly, or through social media?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Canon Rumors said:
ethanz said:
Canon Rumors said:
ethanz said:
stevelee said:

Interesting idea.

I wish this nonsense wasn't going on.

Do you come to the site directly, or through social media?

Directly. You are a bookmark in my iphone on safari. If I'm away from my computer for too long I start feeling the need to catch up on anything new here ;)

Upvote 0