Cue the head spinning, The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to be 20.1mp? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sometimes after we report something, it brings about some contradictory information soon after. Yesterday we reported that a source was “80% sure” than the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III would house a 24.x megapixel sensor.
This is what makes the rumor mill fun.
Shortly afterwards we were told by an anonymous source that the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III would actually sport a 20.1-megapixel sensor, which would mean it’s staying with about the same resolution as the EOS-1D X Mark II.  The source claimed to be “100% sure”.
If any of our known sources could corroborate this information one way or another, we’d appreciate it.
Remember, this a rumors site, contradictions in information happen a fair bit before the truth gets nailed down.

Continue reading...

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It is quite possible that both of these "sources" are correct. I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few different 1DxIII's prototypes out there sporting different sensors.

The big question remains though.

As a betting man, I would look at 24.x sensor. There is a resolution war going on between Canon and Sony.
Yes this is possible.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2013
I'd call BS on that one, if the person is in the know I'd say it is a prototype with the old sensor in the new body.
Im not so sure. 61 AF points on 1DX, 1DX2 and supposedly 1DX3 as well. They also might stick to the same MP, in return for better ISO performance and speed? But I'm also quite sure a minor bump will happen. 22MP. But no more.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
It needs to be about 25 MP to be able to do DCI 4k with a 6k-4k down conversion and now that they have the processor to do that, it is hard to believe that they won't put it in the 1 series camera. The feature requires a crop in the 90D, but the video quality is very good in that mode (not DCI, of course).

Upvote 0