Cue the head spinning, The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to be 20.1mp? [CR1]

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Wouldn't the resolution be more likely to be determined by the transfer speed of the wireless transmitter? rather than the potential processing speeds canon can produce. This camera has to serve the purposes of sports photographers. Is it likely that the ability to transfer images wirelessly means they have to be under a certain file size?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Pathetic if true, just saved me a shit load of money. Would be a poor look to now be distant third in resolution with Nikon anticipatd to increase resolution with the D6, and never in 1 series history has there been a model update without resolution increase even when they have been quite poor at times. Hopefully this is more CR(-1).

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I doubt this rumor for several reasons:
- Sony A9 / A9 II has a 24.2mp sensor
- Nikon will probably use the same sensor as the A9 II @ 24.2 mp
- Post above that shows progression of 1dx 18mp to 20mp would lend itself to at least a bump to 22mp
- Canon seems to have new sensor tech that can easily go to 24mp while delivering improved noise control over previous sensors
- Canon has indicated they are going to be more competitive on spec (32mp APS-C vs competition as a sample)
- I don't see any way Canon would stay with 20mp when competition is at 24mp in what they consider their domain - high performance sports and wildlife camera.

I go with the theory of multiple test platform and this user drew the short straw with the old sensor. The other options is that it might be new sensor tech they are testing just to see how much they could improve noise control if they didn't move up to 24mp. I think marketing will want to at lest match the competition mpx with a target for better noise performance. The A9 apparently does a great job and Canon can't afford to drop the ball unless they are saving the 24mp for the mirrorless 1dx????. A 20mp sensor is not a deal breaker for me if I get more stops of light, but it would be nice to have more room to crop wildlife shots. Sports is probably a bigger segment for the camera than wildlife and I have seen several posts from sports shooters that claim they prefer to stick with 20mp for reduced file sizes. To me, Canon already has addressed this issue with multiple RAW file size options.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I think Canon is doing a wonderful job immitating Apple with the rumors about the 1DxIII. Someone in Canon is sitting right now, reading our "educated guesses" and rub thier hands in pleasure, cause making the "hype" over the new model is exactly what they wnated to do. GIving the camera to people who were not really allowed to test it (by the way, you can go to the menu and get the exact size of the image withouth the need to record it on the card) and then tell them "you are 'not' allowed to tell others what you have seen' while knowing they won't keep their mouth shut and tell "but not tell others" what they think they saw.

It is fun to speculate based on almost no data at all !

By the way, I think that it will have something between 24MP to 30MP, you need 24MP to make a decent 4K movies, and over 30MP seems to be impossible to have 16FPS continouse shooting, unless they figured how to record in the speed of light, even with Cfast card.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
On another note, if they turned up with a 28MP sensor, they would have seen a truck load of 5D shooters converted into 1D shooters, me inclusive. :)
At 28MP it is a no-brainer for me. Just show me where to sign. But 20MP? Huh? Gotta think about that. At 24 MP, then it is looking good, but we gotta see what the detailed specs are.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
But the new 5DV is romured to have something in the range of 45MP, So sensor-wise, the "gap" remains.

I am honestly not interested in a 40+ MP goodness.

I am happy with 5D IV 30-ish MP files.

A family friend shoots with A7r III and his RAW files apparently are as larger as 75Mb each. Well, scratch that... :)

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
But the new 5DV is romured to have something in the range of 45MP, So sensor-wise, the "gap" remains.
And as a point of reference, the 5DIII introduced 22.3MP 8 years ago. We'll see what happens with the 1DxIII. But I am expecting that Fujifilm will refresh the GFX50s such that it has the video capabilities of the X-T3. At that point, I will forget about the IDxIII.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
And as a point of reference, the 5DIII introduced 22.3MP 8 years ago. We'll see what happens with the 1DxIII. But I am expecting that Fujifilm will refresh the GFX50s such that it has the video capabilities of the X-T3. At that point, I will forget about the

My concern is more about FPS and focus tracking than the sensor size. Most 1D users are not unterested in HUGE MP sensor for they are not producing glamour photography but more "action" which is nature, news, sports where low noise in high ISO, large FPS and fast recording is much mroe important than MP. Therefore I don't think that 5D users will switch to 1D just because the 1D will have 28MP sensor which is very close to the 30MP of teh current 5D.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
They may test with old sensor too ,if cant be 100% sure if new is reliable enough for olympics.
Cant postpone 1dx3 like RS
You can't test with old sensor though. The old sensor does not have the same capabilities as the new one will. It lacks the improved dual pixel architecture, the focusing points etc etc. It isn't just a matter of resolution is it?

Upvote 0