D800 just took DXO Mark top spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nikon D800 tested at DxOMark, gets the #1 spot

RichATL said:
psolberg said:
that is off course NOT correct. pixel pitch is what is the main factor. the D800 has a more forgiving pixel pitch than a 7D and the same as a D7000, neither which stresses lenses beyond what they can deliver confortably. 36 sounds like a lot but they are spread out. it is harder on a lens to resolve a single 7D image than a D800 image. So far I think few complain their lenses can't handle the 7D or D7000. I don't see why the D800 changes anything in that regard.

Actually its a simple matter of physics...
The sensor size didn't change... but the number of pixes tripled (between the D700 and the D800)
No matter HOW you look at it... the higher the resolving power of the sensor, the better... but on the same token... the flaws of the lenses are also increased.

a 1px wide CA on D700 witha particular lens WILL equate to a 3px CA on the D800...
Need a calculator?
you're wrong, peirod.

it is a matter of physics and the physics of surface area tells us that 36MP full frame is more spread out than 18MP of an APSC sensor. It is basic geometry. therefore the same CA fringe of say 1mm recorded on the surface of a denser sensor will look LARGER than on the less dense sensor regardless of their pixel count when viewed at 100% cropping becaus the denser sensor has an inherited LARGER magnification when viewed on your screen at 100% crops, and thus it will MAGNIFY CA and other flaws. need a calculator? pixel pitch is what matters, NOT pixel count because the areas are NOT THE SAME!

the bottom line is that it is a myth that the d800 is more difficult to shoot or more demanding than the D7000 which has less pixel density than the 7D. So in this regard the 7D is by far more problematic. not hearing much complains from 7D's so D800 shooters are A-ok. period.

several nikon "experts' have already came out and said it
http://bythom.com/

Upvote 0

Orion said:
talking about biased DxO mark scores when the D800 is scored @ 95, compared to the Phase One Q180, which stands @ 91?????? That must be a whole lot of bias there! ::)

I haven't looked at that specific Phase One sensor, but in general medium format digital sensors use CCD technology, which work great at low ISO but don't do so well at high ISO.

CNfuzzy said:
I thought the new Canon and Nikon were actually 14bits - max theoretical DR would be 14 stops. DxOMark DR score for the D800 is 14.4 Evs. Am I missing anything?

Bit depth isn't EV range. Bit depth represents the resolution in the dynamic representation.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

EYEONE said:
Marsu42 said:
unfocused said:
The debates on this forum remind me of Sayre's Law: "Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."

... "low stakes" is relative: Spending a good part of your savings for your recreation is a serious thing to some (including me), and for professional photography it's worth money and concerns your future to have an edge.

That was not the point. I believe he's referring to the stakes of forum arguments.

Exactly. Thanks EYEONE. Plus, the stakes are low because the technology these days is so good overall that most of these comparisons are equivalent to splitting the hairs on a gnat's knee.

Upvote 0

KeithR said:
Frankly, I couldn't give a toss about what DxO has to say about either the D800 or the 5D Mk III: my eyes tell me what I need to know, and everything I've seen so far suggests that while each will have its strengths, neither will be significantly better than the other at the image level.

And nothing else matters.

This point is key! Great images aren't judged by the technical specs of the cameras used to capture them. It's just some dude looking at it and saying, "dayum, that's one bad@ss shot." Personally, based on what little we've seen so far, I prefer "the look" of the 5D3's files over the D800 for no other reason than they just look better to me. Depending on a person's bias, maybe that perception changes at the pixel-peeping level, but no one other than tech heads uses pixel peeping as a means of judging the artistic value of an image.

Upvote 0

V8Beast said:
KeithR said:
Frankly, I couldn't give a toss about what DxO has to say about either the D800 or the 5D Mk III: my eyes tell me what I need to know, and everything I've seen so far suggests that while each will have its strengths, neither will be significantly better than the other at the image level.

And nothing else matters.

This point is key! Great images aren't judged by the technical specs of the cameras used to capture them. It's just some dude looking at it and saying, "dayum, that's one bad@ss shot." Personally, based on what little we've seen so far, I prefer "the look" of the 5D3's files over the D800 for no other reason than they just look better to me. Depending on a person's bias, maybe that perception changes at the pixel-peeping level, but no one other than tech heads uses pixel peeping as a means of judging the artistic value of an image.

+1000 Couldn't agree more

Upvote 0

OK, what follows is somewhat irrelevant, but I'll make the analogy anyway. In the hot rodding world, there are tech heads, and racers. Tech heads get hung up on an engine's specs. Racers just want to get to the finish line first, specs be damned.

As far as specs are concerned, the motor in my race car is a dinosaur. It doesn't have dual overhead camshafts, multi-valve cylinder heads, gasoline direct injection, variable valve timing, or a turbocharger. It only turns 7,000 rpm, has just two valves per cylinder, and it still relies on a carburetor. Even so, it still makes 796 horsepower. I'm still waiting for one of these high-tech, DOHC, turbocharged, direct injection, variable valve-timing motors to beat my old dinosaur at the track :) Consider this a long-winded way of saying that specs aren't everything.

IMG_5985.jpg

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

V8Beast said:
Kudos to Nikon. Since the D800 beats the Phase One IQ180 according to this test, I suppose all the medium format guys will be switching to Nikon :)

Or better yet, maybe it will poke the MF people to find ways to produce some more entry level backs or something. There are so many wonderful (and affordable) MF cameras floating around the used market, but the backs tend to be disproportionately expensive.. it would be nice if the D800 forced them to reevaluate their lineup and produce backs to take advantage of that rather untapped market....

Upvote 0

Neeneko said:
Or better yet, maybe it will poke the MF people to find ways to produce some more entry level backs or something. There are so many wonderful (and affordable) MF cameras floating around the used market, but the backs tend to be disproportionately expensive.. it would be nice if the D800 forced them to reevaluate their lineup and produce backs to take advantage of that rather untapped market....

That would be an outstanding benefits.

Upvote 0

Neeneko said:
V8Beast said:
Kudos to Nikon. Since the D800 beats the Phase One IQ180 according to this test, I suppose all the medium format guys will be switching to Nikon :)

I completely agree. That's why I love competition, even if it comes in the form of a Nikon body.

Upvote 0
P

prestonpalmer

There is no question that the D800 is an awesome camera. The problem is, as a professional wedding photographer, I have absolutely NO need for 36MP. That's WAYYYY to much for weddings, and most kinds of photography (except landscape) in general. So I for one applaud the Canon for making the 5DIII a perfect wedding and portrait photography camera at 22MP.

So the question really is, Canon now has a great Sports Camera (1DX) and an awesome Wedding / Portrait Photography camera (5DIII), so what is it going to do to capture the other 1/3 of the photography market? A HUGE MP Camera MUST be on the way... There are people at canon reading this website. Something must be in the works, and fast. Otherwise Canon users users will be jumping ship at a record rate over to Nikon. I know a number of my Canon landscape friends already ordered the D800....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.