DXO: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Sensor Review: Great Color and ISO Performance

Jul 28, 2015
AlanF said:
He has traded in his 5DSRs for 5DIVs. However, I prefer my 5DSR over my 5DIV for static shots. The resolution of the 5DSR combined with the absence of low-pass filter gives in practice about 42% linear resolution over my 5DIV (1.29x for extra pixels and about 1.1x for the filter, measured by me from charts). And I estimate about 1.74x that of your 1DXII given reasonable light.

But Artie has the field skills to get close enough, or uses his arsenal of mega-whites, to not rely on cropping. Mere mortals like us rely more on the camera to be able to crop.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
Fair point, I have in my red blue diagram but that makes a very minor difference in the scheme of things.
Even 33% difference is large enough to (at least) consider.

privatebydesign said:
Did you allow for the different viewfinder coverage?

Mine was taken from The-Digital-Picture overlays, I don't honestly know but I'd assume Bryan would have scaled them to be correct but I'm not certain.

privatebydesign said:
The 1DX MkII plays all kinds of light bending tricks to expand the AF area, really extreme, and even that is only a modest bump up from the 1DX. I think that is pretty much it as far as phase detect AF is going to be developed.

Perhaps this is a better way of framing it than I did originally: the 1Dx2 is the upper limit of possible AF spread, and you pay for that. The 6D2 isn't much worse considering the price differential, and I'd still strongly claim that most of the negative chatter about that aspect of it was wrong for that reason.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Mikehit said:
AlanF said:
He has traded in his 5DSRs for 5DIVs. However, I prefer my 5DSR over my 5DIV for static shots. The resolution of the 5DSR combined with the absence of low-pass filter gives in practice about 42% linear resolution over my 5DIV (1.29x for extra pixels and about 1.1x for the filter, measured by me from charts). And I estimate about 1.74x that of your 1DXII given reasonable light.

But Artie has the field skills to get close enough, or uses his arsenal of mega-whites, to not rely on cropping. Mere mortals like us rely more on the camera.

Err? I am a mere mortal, with a VERY limited income. I do not even qualify for UK income tax!

Yet my primary lens is the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, in other words the longest and most expensive lens they currently make. Oh yes there is a 1DX on the back of it and Wimberley + Gitzo underneath. I won't mention the 300 F2.8 L IS and the 100-400 L Mk2 or the 7D2 (just for fun). I have some very nice shorter lenses too, and a few more Gitzos.

There is NO replacement for field skills! However gear is easy. Just get your finances sorted and you can have anything that Canon/Nikon make for this sort of photography. I can say this with confidence as I have got them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
AlanF said:

But Artie has the field skills to get close enough, or uses his arsenal of mega-whites, to not rely on cropping. Mere mortals like us rely more on the camera to be able to crop.

Mike
You have got the wrong end of the stick! Jack wrote that when he was close he couldn't frame the bird and focus on the eye at the same time. I pointed out that I zoom out under such circumstances so I could and referred to Art Morris who also uses a zoom when close up. I don't mind zooming out on the 5DIV or 5DSR because both of them have enough pixels to give excellent images form crops.significantly more so than the 1DXII.

Interestingly, Art Morris does not use field craft - he goes back to places he knows well and where the birds are close, and takes parties with him. You don't necessarily need field craft to get close: sit in a hide and wait; go to the Farne Isles etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AlanF said:
Mike
You have got the wrong end of the stick! Jack wrote that when he was close he couldn't frame the bird and focus on the eye at the same time. I pointed out that I zoom out under such circumstances so I could and referred to Art Morris who also uses a zoom when close up. I don't mind zooming out on the 5DIV or 5DSR because both of them have enough pixels to give excellent images form crops.significantly more so than the 1DXII.

Thank you for the clarification, Alan.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
In these discussions there is never one right answer because we're dealing with numerous variations of requirements and situations. If it were just a matter of choosing resolution over speed then obviously everyone would opt for the 5D4. No question the 5D4 is a great camera.

A point I stated before; I really like my illuminate AF points , which I believe in some circumstances help me get shots. There are things to be very satisfied about the 1DX2 but high resolution isn't one of them. That's life. I'm managing.

I wouldn't mind owning the 100-400 but I'm quite happy with the fixed 400 and really happy with 400 X2. For blind shooting I've found the 70-200 to be good including sometimes with X1.4 since my setup puts me pretty close to the birds. IOW I'm not presently suffering with GAS.

Jack

Upvote 0
johnf3f said:
Err? I am a mere mortal, with a VERY limited income. I do not even qualify for UK income tax!

Do you have a national health care system that's likely to take you through your working years and retirement? Do you have a national pension system that will keep you out of poverty? Here in the U.S. we have an abundance of economic uncertainty. Every time I make an extra dollar I need to decide whether I should use it to shore-up my retirement account against unpredictable changes in national policy, or to spend it on enjoyment of the present. For the next 3 years, at least, most of those extra dollars will be saved.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
johnf3f said:

Do you have a national health care system that's likely to take you through your working years and retirement? Do you have a national pension system that will keep you out of poverty? Here in the U.S. we have an abundance of economic uncertainty. Every time I make an extra dollar I need to decide whether I should use it to shore-up my retirement account against unpredictable changes in national policy, or to spend it on enjoyment of the present. For the next 3 years, at least, most of those extra dollars will be saved.

If I may point out, owning a Canon supertele is better than many investments ;)

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Orangutan said:
johnf3f said:

Hmmmm...I see your point. I'll make a withdrawal from my 401(k) and buy several of them! Of course, it does them no good simply to sit at home in a locked case, so I'll need to take them out and exercise them frequently. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Orangutan said:
Hmmmm...I see your point. I'll make a withdrawal from my 401(k) and buy several of them! Of course, it does them no good simply to sit at home in a locked case, so I'll need to take them out and exercise them frequently. :)

The great thing is that whether you have a T2i or a 1DXII, when you take out that shiny super tele and exercise them, you'll actually be getting exercise, and that's good for your health.

So see, not only is it a good investment, you'll be healthier too. :)

Jack Douglas said:
Seems like we've managed to steer this thread well off topic! ;)

I wish I could buy myself some more free time to use what I've got.

Jack

Story of my life!!

The sad thing is, if I had more free time, I probably wouldn't be able to afford what I've got, hahahaha.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
scyrene said:
Orangutan said:
johnf3f said:

There are very few investments that are worse than owning a Canon Supertele - a Ponzi scheme, for example. When inflation was high, economies high and Canon regularly increased prices, buying used could make a later profit. Just try selling your big white now - you will make a stonking great loss from new.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
AlanF said:
scyrene said:
Orangutan said:
johnf3f said:

There are very few investments that are worse than owning a Canon Supertele - a Ponzi scheme, for example. When inflation was high, economies high and Canon regularly increased prices, buying used could make a later profit. Just try selling your big white now - you will make a stonking great loss from new.

Sony cameras might be a worse investment.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:

That's true if your intention is to take your super tele and stuff it in your closet for 5 years. These are not treasury bonds :)

When I talk about "investment" I factor in the usage during the time of ownership -- If you need a tool of some sort, the best investment in a tool that is most useful, will depreciate the least, and will remain current (or at least not need to be replaced) for the longest period of time.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

AlanF said:
johnf3f said:
the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, in other words the longest and most expensive lens they currently make.

Reminds me of:
"..this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world." Dirty Harry

Much as I loved my Ruger 44 Mag (and had some particularly accurate hand-loads for it) the 44 was never the most powerful pistol/revolver in the world - though it was as much as I could handle! Handguns (Hande Gonne) were getting a bit passe at Bosworth in 1485 - I like more modern stuff hence I shot pistols.

As to the Canon 800mm? It is simply the most used and useful lens that I have + it was relatively cheap. Note "RELATIVELY" it was still quite a few pennies.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Orangutan said:
johnf3f said:

A good point - however do you have our taxes? I think not!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
AA said:
DR is a BIG DEAL. It is a big deal because our eyes can see 20 stops of DR!!! A state-of-the-art DR of 14-15 (by Sony) still blows! Every stop counts. 12 stops is simply not good enough in 2017. The competitors do much better. So could Canon. They proved it even in their cheap APS-C cameras!

Whoever says DR is not a big deal never converted a raw file. Guys, go ahead and try it. It'll be like enlightenment! Literally.

I've never seen a single post where somebody says that dynamic range is not a big deal. Probably nearly every person on this forum has converted raw files.

Maybe I am missing what you are trying to say, but comparing the human eye's dynamic range to that of a DSLR isn't really fair. The human eye can see blacks as blacks and whites as whites. A DSLR sees in grey tones. The blacks are "effectively black" but still grey. The year we live in (2017) is irrelevant.

Yup, wide dynamic range might be a deal, but the big deal is getting a proper exposure in the first place.

Upvote 0