Deal: Refurbished DSLR & Lens Deals at the Canon Store

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The Canon Store has restocked a lot of refurbished items, they won’t last long.</p>
<p>DSLR Deals:</p>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1PWazj5" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5D Mark III $1899</a> (Reg $2499)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1II0D4d" target="_blank">Canon EOS 6D $999</a> (Reg $1399)</li>
</ul>
<p>Lens Deals</p>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1QF3Wmr" target="_blank">Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM $199</a> (Reg $279)</li>
<li><del><a href="http://bit.ly/1QF3CUC" target="_blank">Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS $747</a></del> (Reg $1049)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1jZ4lB6" target="_blank">Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II $1087</a> (Reg $1499)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1Mu0NOe" target="_blank">Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L $543</a> (Reg $699)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1Mu0T8l" target="_blank">Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS $407</a> (Reg $549)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/18OmOuE" target="_blank">Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 $271</a> (Reg $329)</li>
</ul>
<p>Accessories</p>
<ul>
<li><del><a href="http://bit.ly/1Mu1cjx" target="_blank">Canon Extender 1.4 III $292</a></del> (Reg $429)</li>
<li><a href="http://bit.ly/1QF4qZu" target="_blank">Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT $373</a> (Reg $469)</li>
</ul>
<p>All items come with a Canon USA warranty.</p>

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Re: Deal: Refurbished DSLR & Lens Deals at the Canon Store

bseitz234 said:
You missed the one I'm actually still considering- the 7d2. ;-)

Great deals on it, but I passed when I found out it's only about 2/3rd stop cleaner than the 7D.

Hoping for some truly better lower-light performance with the upcoming releases.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

As I have the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and it doesn't get enough use as it is (my photography lives in the 16-50mm range), I can't justify picking up a new 135L.

But if it should show up on a sale at the refurb store, I sure could.

That, or a 35mm f/2 IS USM. ::)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

RGF said:
Too bad Canon does not give CPS members priority purchasing on refurbished items.

When their stock of a staple pro tool like a 135L or 24-70 II or 70-200 2.8 IS II vaporizes in mere minutes each time these sales happen, I have to wonder if camera stores or (more likely) online resellers, eBay folks, etc. are the ones picking up the gear. I shudder to think how ethically/honestly they re-list them.

Never bought a Canon refurb myself -- is it packed in standard packaging such that resellers could plausibly claim they are 'gray market new'? Or are they clearly in different packaging? Just curious.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
RGF said:
Too bad Canon does not give CPS members priority purchasing on refurbished items.

When their stock of a staple pro tool like a 135L or 24-70 II or 70-200 2.8 IS II vaporizes in mere minutes each time these sales happen, I have to wonder if camera stores or (more likely) online resellers, eBay folks, etc. are the ones picking up the gear. I shudder to think how ethically/honestly they re-list them.

Never bought a Canon refurb myself -- is it packed in standard packaging such that resellers could plausibly claim they are 'gray market new'? Or are they clearly in different packaging? Just curious.

- A

Packaging is all across the board. My 6D came in a white box with red trim and a Canon logo, but no other text or markings besides the sticker that sealed it and described the contents as a 6D and accessories. My 24-70/4 came in a brown box with Canon markings for a camcorder, also sealed with a sticker describing contents.

I think you are right about the resellers. Probably lots of ebay and craigslist entrepreneurs. I think the only problem is that the resellers don't necessarily test them. All of my refurbs have been reliable, but you do hear stories about refurbs that are very inconsistent and have to be exchanged.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
RGF said:

- A

All the refurbished lenses I have bought from canon have a red dot painted on the lens barrel to signify they are refurbished. None of the new lenses I have, have this marking.

They sell out fast because they are such a good deal. They are individually inspected, and cleaned if used and are almost always in near new condition. Some of them are in their original packaging as they were returned unopened and could no longer be sold as new even though they were never opened.

canonpricewatch has a notification system that sends you an email within 10 seconds of the canon store restocking the lens you are watching. That is why they sell so fast. They'd said in the past that they have far more people getting those emails then there are ever lenses available.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

ahsanford said:

I have bought two lenses on these 15% off sales (just got the TSE 24 mm II). Both came well packaged but in camcorder boxes.

But that is the only difference I can see. I just checked, and neither of my lenses have a red dot painted on the barrel (or otherwise with the TSE) that isn't also on my other "L" lenses that I purchased direct. So, if Canon does that, they missed my two lenses.

Upvote 0

nightscape123 said:
ahsanford said:
RGF said:

- A

All the refurbished lenses I have bought from canon have a red dot painted on the lens barrel to signify they are refurbished. None of the new lenses I have, have this marking.

They sell out fast because they are such a good deal. They are individually inspected, and cleaned if used and are almost always in near new condition. Some of them are in their original packaging as they were returned unopened and could no longer be sold as new even though they were never opened.

canonpricewatch has a notification system that sends you an email within 10 seconds of the canon store restocking the lens you are watching. That is why they sell so fast. They'd said in the past that they have far more people getting those emails then there are ever lenses available.

I think the red dot is actually on the lens mount, not the body of the lens barrel itself. I just checked my 40mm and the red dot is on the metal mount in a recessed cut-out that presumably is some part of the mechanism.

Also, I believe the canonpricewatch email notifications go out quicker than Canon USA's own email notifications.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012

I lucked out and was able to buy the 16-35 mm F/4 lens. I've been wanting to get that lens for a long time but could not justify buying it at full price. And I've lost out on other refurb sales before because I didn't see the notification soon enough, but I was lucky today. Christmas came early!

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012

ahsanford said:
RGF said:

- A

This could be a benefit offered to CPS members.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

mrzero said:
I think the red dot is actually on the lens mount, not the body of the lens barrel itself. I just checked my 40mm and the red dot is on the metal mount in a recessed cut-out that presumably is some part of the mechanism.

Also, I believe the canonpricewatch email notifications go out quicker than Canon USA's own email notifications.

Yep. All my lens have a hole in the lens mount. But I just checked, and my two refurbished lenses the bottom of the hole was painted red while those that I purchased retail are not painted/silver.

Never new the refurbished lenses were marked. But I have to say, I've thought mine to be excellent.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012

The Canon refurbished store must've had elves helping them. My new lens, which I ordered yesterday at noon, arrived this afternoon! And I did not pay extra for this – – I just went with the regular free shipping. I was in such a rush to buy this lens that I didn't even notice they had the $10 overnight shipping option!

Upvote 0