Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests

We need information about the COLOUR BALANCE DETAILS in the IMAGE REVIEW INFO display.

Just like we can see what shutter speed or ISO was used for an image displayed in the image info when reviewing, the ability to see what colour the camera has selected when auto white balancing is very useful for events photographers or others when trying to colour match our strobes to the ambient light.

So if I can see that the camera has selected 3200K on an image taken with auto white balance, I can manually set my camera to that balance so giving similar consistency that manual exposure / aperture would offer, and I can add a suitable gel to my speedlights / strobes.

At the moment it is a guessing game or needing an expensive colour meter.

PLEEEEEASE....

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
We need information about the COLOUR BALANCE DETAILS in the IMAGE REVIEW INFO display.

Just like we can see what shutter speed or ISO was used for an image displayed in the image info when reviewing, the ability to see what colour the camera has selected when auto white balancing is very useful for events photographers or others when trying to colour match our strobes to the ambient light.

So if I can see that the camera has selected 3200K on an image taken with auto white balance, I can manually set my camera to that balance so giving similar consistency that manual exposure / aperture would offer, and I can add a suitable gel to my speedlights / strobes.

At the moment it is a guessing game or needing an expensive colour meter.

PLEEEEEASE....
I could see the usefulness of that, but if you are shooting Raw, the color balance is not baked into the file. It just starts out with the camera's auto setting in your computer. Couldn't you just look at the setting in Lightroom or ACR and apply that to the other pictures?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I could see the usefulness of that, but if you are shooting Raw, the color balance is not baked into the file. It just starts out with the camera's auto setting in your computer. Couldn't you just look at the setting in Lightroom or ACR and apply that to the other pictures?
When I'm out there shooting, I often need to match the colour of my strobes / speedlights to the ambient colour temperature. Alas our eyes are very good at adapting so at best this is a guessing game. No amount of post colour balancing will correct a mismatch between ambient and strobe lighting - hence the request.

Imagine shooting an event indoors which has low light levels. Typically this can be between 3200K and 2500K ambient, so I need to match my speedlights with gels. Wouldn't it be great to shoot a frame in auto white balance, see what the colour temp might be, and then set my camera manually to that and fit the correct gel - fine tuning in post to allow for auto errors. Would be a game changer in many respects for when we don't shoot tethered to a laptop.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Lethecam, I was wondering if there is an exif info on the jpg picture downloaded via WiFi to android telephone to help you. Yes, there are exif infos and with some exif reader software we can check all of them on the phone, but it's only shows AWB and there is no possibility to check the actual value of balance temperature. So you have right, this feature might be important in some cases and should be added.

Upvote 0
Thank you for starting this thread. I've kept a long list of things I wished could be changed, and I'm glad I can post it somewhere. It seems that my post is so long it's exceeded the character count, so I'll separate feature requests and bugs to different posts.

My Wishlist for Improved Usability:

1. Auto-rotate the display of photos during photo playback based on camera orientation.

• I know there’s an [Auto Rotate] option in the [Set-up menu] with 3 options, but what I’m referring to is an extension to this feature. What I would like to see is an option to allow the camera to always display the image in the correct orientation no matter what the current orientation of the camera is.
  • Example problem scenario: Set [Auto Rotate] to the 1st option (rotates for camera and computer). Turn camera 90 degrees to left so camera is vertical and shutter button on top. Take a photo. Press the play button to see the photo. The photo will be displayed in the wrong orientation because it has rotated the photo to be viewed for when the camera is level.
  • Example problem scenario 2: Set [Auto Rotate] to the 2nd option (rotates for computer only). Turn camera 90 degrees to left so camera is vertical and shutter button on top. Take a photo. Press the play button to see the photo. The photo will be displayed in the correct orientation for now. But if you level the camera to be horizontal, the photo is still displayed in the wrong orientation (looks rotated 90 degrees clockwise). If you turn the camera 90 degrees to the right so it's vertical and shutter button is on the bottom, then the displayed picture is upside down.
  • Solution: Auto rotate the displayed image based on current camera orientation in addition to compensating for the initial photo orientation. I know this feature exists in the Canon point and shoot product line because I've seen it work before, it would help bring even more consistency with the Canon brand image and improve usability by implementing this feature on the R5 and all cameras.

2. Allow customizable functionality to the [RATE] button, the [LOCK] button.

• The default functions on these two buttons are ones I never use during a photo and video shooting scenario, but I would love to have assigned to other functions because I’ve run out of customizable buttons to use.

3. Add additional commonly ratios in for the [Cropping/aspect ratio] menu in [Shooting menu] for both photo and video modes

• I would love to see these ratios as available options which would help with framing and creativity for both photography and video, such as:
    • 1.85:1
    • 2.35:1
    • 2:1
  • An even better solution would be to allow custom ratios which can be input via the camera interface, but I know that requires more development time and effort to do, so common crop ratios would already be a huge win.

4. Allow all currently customizable buttons to have all the same assignable functions when possible

• Problem: For many of the buttons that are currently customizable, each has a different set of options to what they can be assigned to do (see the chart on pg.823 of the manual for FW1.3). I believe there’s no reason to artificially limit the button’s ability based on what may be a perceived “usefulness” of certain functions on certain buttons. Each person may have a different way of using the camera and I wish the button customization can accommodate that.
  • Use case example: There are several of these cases, but for one example I would like to use the [M-Fn] or the [SET] button to “Switch to registered AF function” but it can’t. Somehow that can only be triggered by other buttons like [AF-ON], [DOF preview], etc.
  • Solution: Make all customizable buttons have the same assignable options, minus the ones that are actually physically impossible to do for some buttons, such as a button doing dial functions.

5. Add a customizable button option to toggle [C-LOG View Assist On/Off] for Video shooting mode

• Currently, buttons can be customized to toggle on/off very helpful features like zebra or focus peaking, but there’s no shortcut for toggling View Assist when C-LOG is enabled. Allowing that toggle will be a huge help for video workflows.

6. Add a [Custom Timer] or at least a [5s Timer] to the Drive Mode options for single photos

• Problem: For single shot long exposures on the tripod, I find a 2 second timer is often too quick for the vibration to subside before the exposure to start, and 10 seconds is sometimes too long of a wait. This not related to timelapse/interval shooting.
  • Solution: Add a Custom Length timer, like 1-10 seconds as an additional Drive Mode. This way I can choose something like 5 seconds long of a delay before the long exposure starts. I know this feature existed on other Canon camera models like the old Powershot S80, and was extremely helpful. If not a custom length timer then at least something like a preset 5s timer would be great.

7. Add a customizable button option to directly put the camera to sleep (mainly for power saving).

• Problem: Currently [Toggle Eco Mode] or [Display Off] functionality will only turn off the screen but the screen will turn back on too easily. For example if I press [Display Off] via a customized button, the display will turn on again if the focus ring is moved (on some lenses) or if anything comes near to the viewfinder (when Screen/Viewfinder display is set to [Auto 1] or [Auto 2]). This happens if the camera is on a neck strap and is resting on the person’s chest. It’s only when the camera finally does go to proper sleep when the Auto-Power off time is reached, it won’t wake up from the Viewfinder Proximity sensor or focus ring movement.
  • Use Case: This is an issue for a user who wants to maximize power savings but also keep the camera ready to take photos at all times. The ECO mode is probably meant to accommodate this situation but the screen dims too quickly during many shooting scenarios and gets in the way of framing. Turning the power off then on again takes too long and sometimes shots can be missed because of the power on process, like physically reaching for the power dial, OS bootup, shutter curtain opening, and sensor cleaning.
  • Solution 1 (Best): Add a function to directly put the camera to sleep and be assignable via [Customize Buttons]
  • Solution 2: Add an option to not wake up the screen by the Viewfinder Proximity Sensor (when Screen/Viewfinder display is set to [Auto 1] or [Auto 2]) and option to not wake up screen via focus ring movement.
  • Solution 3: Add a setting to enable/disable screen dimming of ECO mode, or customize the timer for which the screen dimming happens.

8. Add ability to magnify during video recording

• It would be very helpful to be able to magnify the live view just to check focus during video recording, just like you can do so while it’s not recording.

9. Add ability to show histogram during video recording

• It would be very helpful to be able to see the histogram during video recording, just like you can do so while it’s not recording.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
-----------------

Bugs, currently on R5 Firmware 1.3.1 (haven't tested on 1.4 but these things don't seem to be addressed in their changelog)

----------------

1. One of the biggest issues (which I’ve already covered with you guys in the previous email) is the AF system preferring to focus on the background rather than the foreground for overlapping narrow subjects, which is completely opposite to all previous Canon DSLR AF behaviour.

2. Switching from [AI Servo] to [One shot] via customized button will not correctly change metering behaviour

• Problem: After I switch from [AI Servo] to [One shot] via the customized button, the metering stays continuous even after the camera has locked focus, despite enabling the setting that locks metering after AF. This “problem” can only be fixed after entering menu and immediately exiting, or turning the camera off then on and starting in One-Shot mode. I suspect anything that will interrupt/refresh the live view system will be able to stop this, such as playback. If camera is powered on into One-Shot AF, then the metering will correctly stop after focus is locked.
  • Settings:
    • I have the DOF Preview button set to [One-shot AF <-> Servo AF]
    • Shutter button is the default [Metering + AF start], and it’s used to meter and lock focus in this case
    • [AE Lock meter. Mode after focus] is set to enabled for all metering modes

3. In certain situations during One-Shot AF, letting go of the focus button even after focus confirmation will throw off the focus.

• Problem details: After I press the back-button Animal Eye AF focus and the lock on is confirmed (green), and then I let go, the focus gets thrown off, with what looks like an attempt to focus on the currently manually positioned AF point.
  • Reproduction Steps: Hopefully these steps can reproduce the issue:
    • Set the AF-On button to [Eye detection AF]
    • [Subject to detect] as [Animal]
    • Continuous AF as [Disabled]
    • AF Operation as [ONE SHOT AF]
    • Initial Servo AF pt for face/tracking as [(2nd option) AF pt set for [1pt, spot, expanded, zone]]
    • Lens drive when AF impossible [On]
    • Lens set to AF
    • Now in live view, set the current AF method to [1-point AF] or [Spot AF]
    • Put a bird subject in the frame and make the eye visible and easily detectable by the eye autofocus
    • Manually move the focus point away to somewhere that’s not the bird, for example the background or another subject that’s not on the same focal plane
    • Hold the AF-On button until the focus is locked on the eye (eye has to be detected), then let go. Sometimes the focus might be thrown off, and it seems to me like it will focus towards the chosen focus point for a few milliseconds.
    • Or
    • Rapidly press and release the AF-On button. Sometimes the focus might be thrown off, and it seems to me like it will focus towards the chosen focus point for a few milliseconds despite the eye detection box always being on the bird eye the whole time.

4. Pause Movie Servo AF state will be will unpaused every time you enter menu or playback and back to live view.

• Problem: When I use the [Pause Movie Servo AF] with a customized button to pause movie servo AF, enter the menu, or review a footage, then go back into live view, the Servo AF will automatically turn on again.
  • Solution 1: Respect and remember the pause setting even when going into menu or playback or after a power cycle.
  • Solution 2: Add a Customizable button function to toggle [Movie Servo AF Enable/Disable] rather than just pausing/unpausing

5. AF Servo focus will keep moving towards target focal distance when AF button is let go even Continuous AF is Disabled, inconsistent with One-Shot AF behaviour.

• Problem: When I have AF set to AF Servo, and I quickly half-press and let go of the shutter button (with default shutter button configuration), the camera will keep attempting to move focus towards the estimated focus distance of the selected AF point. This is with Continuous AF [Disabled]. This is different behaviour from all previous Canon DSLRs AF Servo behaviour as well as R5’s own One-Shot AF behaviour, as when the half-pressed shutter is let go, the focus attempt will stop immediately regardless of whether or not it reached the estimated focus distance.
  • Solution: Stop focus movement as soon as focus button is let go, which would then be consistent with One-Shot AF focus behaviour as well as previous Canon DSLR Servo behaviour

Upvote 0
Greetings CanonRumors members and Canon enthusiasts,

After the exciting announcement of the R5 and R6 last week, we learned a lot about the new features that will be available in these cameras. Canon has indicated that they are listening to user feedback, and will hopefully be making firmware improvements to these bodies based on customer experiences once we start receiving the cameras. These improvements are likely to include both new functionality and refinements to existing features.

Do you have a firmware upgrade and/or new feature request for Canon? If so, please add it as a reply below (one idea per reply). If the feature that you are hoping for is already listed, please use the like ((y)) feature, so we don't wind up with a ton of duplicates, but Canon can also see how popular that idea is.

With any luck, Canon will see the consolidated feedback from this thread and hopefully incorporate it in future firmware releases. Let's make it easy for Canon to incorporate your great ideas!
Request: Add golden ratio (fibonacci spiral) and phi ratio grids to viewfinder.

Upvote 0