Digic 7: 1 stop stronger noise reduction, lens diffraction correction

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
JonAustin said:
LordofTackle said:
As Neuro and also others often point out, we need to remind ourselves that we are not, by far, the typical DSLR users. Most buy one entry level DSLR and stay with it.

... and one (kit) lens ...
and most shoot JPG.... and not even the full size JPG.....

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don Haines said:
JonAustin said:
LordofTackle said:
As Neuro and also others often point out, we need to remind ourselves that we are not, by far, the typical DSLR users. Most buy one entry level DSLR and stay with it.

... and one (kit) lens ...
and most shoot JPG.... and not even the full size JPG.....

I think that many start with the green box setting right out of the box, they do not change any default settings, which is how its supposed to work. The advanced stuff comes later if at all. I've found that many are unhappy with the shallow depth of field, and don't even use their DSLR. I've bought several that sat unused and owners told me the story. The tiny sensor cameras have a huge depth of field, focusing is easy, near or far. Users like that, a group of people are all in focus, rather than just the front ones.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
While I agree that most DSLR shooters are JPG shooters, I would also assert that the overwhelming majority of DSLR shooters don't own a $900+ body. If you specifically look at potential 77D/80D buyers, a large number of them will shoot RAW when they need it or all the time, I think.

It's like, most DSLR owners own cheap kit lens of some kind, but the number of 80D owners who shoot pictures that matter with a cheap kit lens will be much, much smaller, because once you take the dive, you're always looking for little ways to up your game (improve the finished image) by even a tiny bit.

I think DIGIC7 improvements will therefore be a bigger boon to t7i buyers than 77D buyers, generally speaking, though of course, it's an improvement, and all things being equal everyone should be happy for the improvement. I'm not sure what it is with the crazy high ISO... I don't know anyone that shoots with 5 digit ISO lol.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
I'm not sure what it is with the crazy high ISO... I don't know anyone that shoots with 5 digit ISO lol.

I do...but with a 1DX II ;)
I wouldn't with a APS-C camera....and I didn't with my "old" 5DIII.

My father has a 40D and a 60D and he never shot RAW (too time consuming for his taste ::) ), he just likes the better bodies for their better ergonomics and the more options they offer (AF wise and so on).
But I agree, the better the body is, the higher the probability the user is shooting RAW.

Upvote 0