Do you need to turn off IBIS when on a tripod, like you do with lens stabilization?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all,

Just curious....I believe I understand it that when you have had EOS cameras in the past, locked down on a tripod, either for video or stills, it was best to turn OFF the images stabilization on the lens if it has it.

So, does this also mean for the coming R5/R6...that you should turn off IBIS too when it is locked on a tripod?

If so, would be a bit of a PITA, since on most lenses there is a quick switch to hit, but I'd guess with IBIS you have to dig into the menu system to turn it off/on....unless maybe you mapped it custom to an external button?

Thoughts?

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
IBIS is coupled to the IS switch on lenses that have it. At least for RF lenses, I'm not sure if it is also true for EF ones.

I would not be surprised if the camera could notice that it isn't moving and lock down the sensor on it's own. But it is a good question. I don't think we'll know the answer until the manuals are released or further testing is done.

Upvote 0

croviking

1000D, 250D, 90D, ...
Sep 4, 2019
I also think leaving it up to the camera to decide whether it's on a tripod or not might end up in upredictable behaviour. Is it on or off? What if you kick the tripod ever so slightly? Or while you're interracting with the lens rings.

Coupling it to lens' stabilization is really good in my opinion, but what with the lenses that don't have it is a question.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I also think leaving it up to the camera to decide whether it's on a tripod or not might end up in upredictable behaviour. Is it on or off? What if you kick the tripod ever so slightly? Or while you're interracting with the lens rings.

Coupling it to lens' stabilization is really good in my opinion, but what with the lenses that don't have it is a question.

Rudy Winston has said that for non-IS lenses you'll get an IBIS on/off toggle in the menu. I wonder if Canon would let us map that to a button.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hi all,

Just curious....I believe I understand it that when you have had EOS cameras in the past, locked down on a tripod, either for video or stills, it was best to turn OFF the images stabilization on the lens if it has it.

So, does this also mean for the coming R5/R6...that you should turn off IBIS too when it is locked on a tripod?

If so, would be a bit of a PITA, since on most lenses there is a quick switch to hit, but I'd guess with IBIS you have to dig into the menu system to turn it off/on....unless maybe you mapped it custom to an external button?

Thoughts?

cayenne

That was really only true of the very first IS lens designs. By the late 1990s most new IS lenses had the ability to self sense when they were tripod mounted and adjust accordingly. But once a thing gets out there...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That was really only true of the very first IS lens designs. By the late 1990s most new IS lenses had the ability to self sense when they were tripod mounted and adjust accordingly. But once a thing gets out there...

That's interesting...this is the first time I've every heard anyone posit this.....I thought it was pretty much 'canon' (no pun intended) that you turned off stabilization on a stabilized lens whether it was for still or video....

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
That's interesting...this is the first time I've every heard anyone posit this.....I thought it was pretty much 'canon' (no pun intended) that you turned off stabilization on a stabilized lens whether it was for still or video....

C
The very first IS lenses needed to be turned off. I think the only one still sold is the 300mm f/4L. All the newer models have Tripod sensing.

Still, its not a bad idea to turn it off as long as you remember to turn it on when handheld. Many low cost tripods do vibrate with heavy lenses, so there may be cases where IS is useful even on a tripod.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

C
The very first IS lenses needed to be turned off. I think the only one still sold is the 300mm f/4L. All the newer models have Tripod sensing.

Still, its not a bad idea to turn it off as long as you remember to turn it on when handheld. Many low cost tripods do vibrate with heavy lenses, so there may be cases where IS is useful even on a tripod.

There are some lenses, mostly long focal length primes, that self sense when tripod mounted and switch to an IS case specifically designed for tripod mounted usage.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
There are some lenses, mostly long focal length primes, that self sense when tripod mounted and switch to an IS case specifically designed for tripod mounted usage.

Thanks for all the great input here!!

So, the 70-200 f/2.8 II lens, wouldn't need to have stabilization turned off when on a tripod...for still or video?

C

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Thanks for all the great input here!!

So, the 70-200 f/2.8 II lens, wouldn't need to have stabilization turned off when on a tripod...for still or video?

C
I did a video job last year with the 70-200 f2.8 II where I had to extend my tripod up very high to clear a wall that I had to shoot over. The tripod was also on a platform that flexed somewhat. Without having the IS in the lens on, the video would have been a shaky mess, even though it was on a tripod. I left IS on, and the video turned out very good with no noticeable shake. I normally turn off the IS on all of my lenses when taking long exposure stills on a tripod though. But, it's possible it might be ok if you don't. If in doubt, test it. One time I had the first gen Tamron 24-70 f2.8 most definitely cause tripod long exposures to be blurry with the IS on, so I've just always turned it off on my lenses during long exposures ever since.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0