Double shutter sound on the R

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
When the electronic first curtain shutter is disabled, the mechanical shutter must first close, then open to start the exposure, then close again to end the exposure, then open once more to continue the EVF/Live View feed. When EFCS is enabled, the mechanical shutter only has to close at the end of exposure and open again.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
So, just to understand, 2 shutter clicks is a normal behavior of the R?
I think the default is a single click but may have a negative impact on your results.

I run with the single click using

index.php

This mode will have the double click

Lights (1 of 1)-7.JPG

Attachments

• Mode1 (1 of 1).JPG
    Mode1 (1 of 1).JPG
    512 KB · Views: 1,248
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If I understand what's going on here, in the two click mode, you're hearing the shutter close, then open, then again, so the sequence occurs twice.

Whereas in a single click mode on a DSLR NOT in live view, what you'd hear is the opposite (open, then close), and only once, right?

(I wonder if close-then-open sounds appreciably different from open-then-close?)

Upvote 0
I hear only one sound on short exposures ie 1/250th of a sec but notice that on longer exposures, say for example 1/4 of a second, when you press the shutter button it appears as if there's a delay before you hear the shutter sound. I assume this is because on a dslr I'm used to hearing the mirror go up & shutter open then the shutter close whereas on the R all I hear is the shutter close?? Maybe .... I'm confused :confused:

Upvote 0
I think I know what's happening at least with the one click scenario ... with the R it is suggested to change lenses with camera switched off - as the shutter is closed. When you first switch on the camera, you hear a noise - this is the shutter opening. So when you take a picture, the one click you hear is the shutter closing at the end of the exposure and then immediately opening again ready for the next shot. That would explain why there seems appears to be a delay on longer exposures - the sound you hear is always the shutter close/open action but obviously with a longer exposure this happens a fraction later after pressing the shutter than with a very shot exposure. I'll have to try the 2 click setting to see if I prefer it...

Upvote 0
Has never been an issue, even with my DSLR’s. I think Canon set it to default because the camera seems much more snappy. My one gripe with the R is the shutter lag, wish it was instant like the 1-series.
It depends on what you shoot, but it's supposed to be a bigger problem with mirrorless than with DSLRs. For example Nikon Zs launched with default mechanical shutter and it was a problem, so they introduced a firmware update with Auto mode, that chooses shutter mode based on shutter speed. I wish Canon would do the same for EOS R.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What about shutter shock? EFCS is default on EOS R for a reason.

I've had one situation with an R where shutter shock was horrible: using an IS lens in the 1/160 - 1/200 range. I was using the R + 100mm L + flash to photograph butterflies and was getting motion blur. Turning IS off would fix it, as would switching back to EFCS.
I only had the R for a week, but I didn't see shuttershock in any other situation, nothing with the RF50 or RF85 indoors or after dark.

Shot from that series (without shuttershock):

20190709-IMG_0522.jpg
by Koen Kooi, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've had one situation with an R where shutter shock was horrible: using an IS lens in the 1/160 - 1/200 range. I was using the R + 100mm L + flash to photograph butterflies and was getting motion blur. Turning IS off would fix it, as would switching back to EFCS.
I only had the R for a week, but I didn't see shuttershock in any other situation, nothing with the RF50 or RF85 indoors or after dark.
I think it happened to me once when shooting evening landscape with RF 24-105, but maybe it was just motion blur. Since then I have EFCS as default unless shooting portraits.

Nice macro pic, btw.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Is there a consensus here in this thread? Is Mode 1 better or worse for IQ than Disabled???

I did some shooting on the weekend and I was not able to tell the difference with Mode 1 disabled or enabled.

Used the following:
  1. Rf 15-35mm
  2. 100-400mm MKI
  3. Rf 35mm
  4. RF 24-105mm
I do not own any of the fast primes. (Have not been able to get the expense approved through the appropriations committee (my wife). YET!)

For me if there is a chance that Mode 1 is degrading my shots I will simply disable it. That said I have not seen any evidence in my photos this is true, but thanks to this thread I now understand what the camera is doing with the "double" shutter sound. When I first ran into the the double shutter I thought something was wrong and had to figure out how to disable it cause it was not "normal".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0