DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

D

Deleted member 384473

No they won’t. Why would they they are being crucified for making the R5, this negative PR will have a very real impact on the cameras we get moving forwards, expect stills to take a huge back seat to video performance even though the vast majority of buyers, unlike testers and reviewers, don’t give a damn about the video specs.
If you don’t want negative PR don’t market the camera dishonestly? Pretty simple.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you don’t want negative PR don’t market the camera dishonestly? Pretty simple.
Ok, but I think all you villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches are actually going to do more harm to yourselves than you realize.

Carry on with the burning and shooting down in flames.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So, after a few days, I can honestly say, I love the R5. The stills image quality is superb and the AF is such a step forward from the R it makes taking images of moving things so much better. No overheating issues even though temperatures in the UK has been quite warm 30 degrees yesterday.

The biggest gripe I have is setting the cards up to save what I want to each card and then trying to import onto my MAC when Lightroom doesn't support CR3 RAW files. :mad: I used to have 2 cards in the 7d MKII which was pretty easy to set up but even following the manual I cant seem to get it how I want. I know it's not supposed to be a manly thing to do to refer to the manual but I will re read it and try different settings.:ROFLMAO: I downloaded Adobe DNG 12.4 Beta but for some reason it wouldn't recognise my card so I resorted to importing as JPEG. Not great. Come on Adobe get this plug in sorted!

Update
I was going to upload one of the 1st images I took after setting the R5 up, using animal AF. It's not an amazing picture from a composition perspective but as she is a black Labrador with very dark eyes, I have always had issues taking decent pictures that show the coat and eyes well. I'm quite please as a 1st attempt, especially as the background is quite a contrast to her coat. The eyes are in perfect focus and can be enlarged so that one eye fills the screen and is still pin sharp. Something I could never do with the R.

I tried uploading the image but it tried and told me the image was too large. I could reduce the size but sort of defeats the object really. I give up lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Ok, but I think all you villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches are actually going to do more harm to yourselves than you realize.

How, if Canon fixes the heating issue in the next iteration???

Not part of any villager mob but you can continue to let Canon walk all over you as you point the finger. Buying power is critical and those looking for a hybrid solution truly capable of video will find it, if not Canon then definitely with one of the competitors. Criticism is incredibly important or things will never be improved. You implying Canon will listen then do something to “hurt” us is incredibly worrisome of the brand’s reputation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So buy a video centric hybrid.

Canon is the ONLY camera company that has a STILLS camera with 8-Freaking-K in it!
Why on earth put EIGHT KAAAAAAY in a stills camera and then say it is not video centric? Because if this camera is not for serious video making, then putting 8K in there is just a gimmick.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have two. Canon marketed this camera’s video specs pretty hard so it got video centric users interested. Thought it would make a good B can. Quit excusing shady PR.
I’m not excusing anything. I am saying the response is out of proportion and will have knock on impacts we might regret.

Things like undoctored RAW files, Canon have been criticized for being “uncompetitive” in DR when they actually were competitive, so now they are doing what other companies do and we, as knowledgeable and intelligent consumers, suffer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Correction: They built a stills camera with great AF that overheats while taking stills making the “cutting edge” 8k and HQ modes unusable in “hybrid” scenarios. They marketed the 8K30 and 4K120 as if it were actually usable. They only released the overheat times after we questioned them days after preorders started. Stop making excuses for a shady PR team. There is nothing cutting edge having to wait 2 hours for 20 minutes of record time (if you’re not taking stills).

Nobody is making excuses for Canon PR around here. IMO they blew it on the announcement of the HFR and 8K RAW.

But you have to separate how what you were promised vs what you’re getting. If Canon had announced the R5 as a 4k30 camera with 10 bit 422 internal and over HDMI YouTube would be way quieter. By all accounts Canon has released the best all around package in this class (vs Z7/A7R4) with a bit of “first gen” issues with battery life and 10 year old lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon is the ONLY camera company that has a STILLS camera with 8-Freaking-K in it!
Why on earth put EIGHT KAAAAAAY in a stills camera and then say it is not video centric? Because if this camera is not for serious video making, then putting 8K in there is just a gimmick.
Anybody expecting genuine unrestricted 8k from Canon in a sub $4,000 camera is an idiot.

Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Why is a gimmick? How many times you need over 20 minutes of shooting? Seriously!
You can do amazing things with 5-10 minute 8K shots.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Not part of any villager mob but you can continue to let Canon walk all over you as you point the finger. Buying power is critical and those looking for a hybrid solution truly capable of video will find it, if not Canon then definitely with one of the competitors. Criticism is incredibly important or things will never be improved. You implying Canon will listen then do something to “hurt” us is incredibly worrisome of the brand’s reputation.

Totally agree with the buying power stuff. Speak with your wallet for sure; forum posts are cheap. And again, Canon borked the PR here.

But, and this is an honest question, what competitor would you suggest people buy if they like the R5’s photo capabilities but are unhappy with the video?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
But this storm in a teacup is going to have real impact on the future releases from Canon. The R5 is the best and most capable stills camera they have ever made, by far, it is also pushing the boundaries of video capabilities and the ‘normal’ video specs are comparable to what we are used to, yet Canon are being destroyed for releasing it. Which means they won’t do it again and to appease the bullshit they will focus more and more on video performance that most buyers simply don’t care about.

Really smart comment. A few thoughts, including some inspired by comments on other sites:
The R5 video specs as you note are really in line with all other hybrids. They push the frontier on things like 8K but no one else has that. Yet they are punished for that by some Youtube reviewers, who otherwise have accepted Sony overheating for years without complaint. Their reasoning: well, at least Sony is pushing the boundaries.
I think this has been a planned social media strategy by Sony and their Youtube/vlogger community. It's too coordinated. Someone else pointed out how the Sony Youtubers generally don't compare their new camera with its natural competition, the S1H. And these Youtubers all of a sudden care most about heat dissipation and long record times, when they have made do with Sony limitations for years.
There was that one guy, Gerald Undone, who's gotten a lot of notice. But someone pointed out how before the A7SIII was even announced, he posted a comparison on his Twitter of two 12MP A7SII photos, and he couldn't yet say they were taken with that camera, and the same image taken by the R5. The point he was trying to make was that 12MP was good enough for stills. So even before the A7SIII was announced he went in with a plan.

Also someone else pointed out how Youtube reviewers have skewed the entire way a camera is reviewed. They tend to review based on how they use a camera, which is naturally mostly for video. But they put out reviews to get photographers to watch and get them more views. So serious stills cameras like the Fuji GFX100 and the Leica SL2 end up being reviewed by them more for their video capabilities than for the stills. Because people enjoy watching well produced and easy to watch video content, these Youtube reviewers end up influencing the way a camera is reviewed and thought of moreso than it really should be.

Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
i know you kinda upset with all bad reception R5 had across the internet. but canon need to make some noise wether its good or bad.

after those hype cleared up we might come to a good conclusion.
researchmethodology-illustration-hype-cycle.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0