DPReview: Review of the Canon EOS R5

Jul 26, 2020
I have two. Canon marketed this camera’s video specs pretty hard so it got video centric users interested. Thought it would make a good B can. Quit excusing shady PR.
I agree. First Canon PR says R5 is a 5div equivalent. Should have left it at that.
No, they tout the 4k120, 8k30.

Prior to R5/A7siii release. The pana bois were about to trade in their system for one of these great autofocus video camera. Some pre-order the R5 thinking they'll have the chance to be the next Spielberg with 8k30 usage on a budget. Quality wedding video work, quality documentary work. Some people even bought RF glasses, in anticipation of the miracle video camera.
Then the overheating saga started. The 30mins recording limit is still there. Then the A7siii was announce. Boom, all hyped for video camera follow it.

The R5 was supposed to bring exCanon users back. It's not going to bring anyone back now. In fact it's an embarrassment for video realm.
Had Canon PR not tout its video capabilities to kingdom come, people will wait for a proper R1-pro with little fuss.
But now people want what PR hyped for months, in this tiny R5 body.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So why did they market it as an 8K full frame camera?
BECAUSE IT IS! They never said you could shoot a movie on it, they never said it was designed for long form use. It is a sub $4,000 small hybrid. Maybe my mistake is I live in the real world, I never expected more from the R5 and Canon never promised more so I don’t really understand people’s dismay and anger.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Totally agree with the buying power stuff. Speak with your wallet for sure; forum posts are cheap. And again, Canon borked the PR here.

But, and this is an honest question, what competitor would you suggest people buy if they like the R5’s photo capabilities but are unhappy with the video?
They’d need to buy two cameras... like we’ve always had to do. Canon gave false hope that this body could eliminate that need for 2020-2021. Maybe it’s not possible, I don’t know.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
[Canon] are doomed?

Entropy always increases, mass-energy is conserved, the speed of light in a vacuum is always 299,792,458 metres per second, and Canon is always doomed.

You must not have taken a physics class.

All kidding aside, I agree with your point.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

BECAUSE IT IS! They never said you could shoot a movie on it, they never said it was designed for long form use. It is a sub $4,000 small hybrid. Maybe my mistake is I live in the real world, I never expected more from the R5 and Canon never promised more so I don’t really understand people’s dismay and anger.
How much longer you going to hold on to your argument? You can’t shoot ANY 8K if you’re doing anything else on that camera, including shooting stills. Need two hours to cool it down. I was betting on great 4K, and even that is severely limited if at all usable when utilizing this as a true hybrid. You’re describing a shady PR team btw.

“Canon said it was 8K!... they just never disclosed if it would actually work! “

• Haha
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

As someone who has shot 7D IIs and 5DsRs and currently shoots the 5D IV and an EOS R (and one who has shot about 20 minutes of video in the last five years), I cannot wait for my R5 to arrive this week! Super excited.
This camera is definitely for you and I’m excited for you! I imagine all stills photographers will fall in love with the AF this camera provides at 45MP. I don’t know what you shoot, but I know you’ll enjoy shooting it.

Upvote 0
Not part of any villager mob but you can continue to let Canon walk all over you as you point the finger. Buying power is critical and those looking for a hybrid solution truly capable of video will find it, if not Canon then definitely with one of the competitors. Criticism is incredibly important or things will never be improved. You implying Canon will listen then do something to “hurt” us is incredibly worrisome of the brand’s reputation.

I kinda of get your point, but that being said the camera doesn't really have a peer. If you are a pro and love the video specs you can buy more than one and keep on shooting. What else gives you 8k? Most reviewers report the 4khq is top notch. Is the Nikon z7 better? What about the A7R4? Which camera is better all around than this camera?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
If you don’t want negative PR don’t market the camera dishonestly? Pretty simple.

If you don’t want negative PR, find a way to keep idiot YouTubers from grabbing one item off a possible features list LONG BEFORE any official announcement about anything, and driving it into the ground before the fruit is even ripe. YouTubers overhyped 8K before Canon even opened it’s mouth. Period.

Fixed it for you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I wonder how much one could reduce the cooldown time by using something like a small Peltier-cooled travel fridge or similar device. Also, how much effect removing the lens has. How about a Peltier cooler that you can mount on the camera in place of a lens?!
I keep hearing people talking about cooling the camera in a fridge. Wouldn’t that rapid change cause condensation inside the camera? Especially with the lens off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Not part of any villager mob but you can continue to let Canon walk all over you as you point the finger. Buying power is critical and those looking for a hybrid solution truly capable of video will find it, if not Canon then definitely with one of the competitors. Criticism is incredibly important or things will never be improved. You implying Canon will listen then do something to “hurt” us is incredibly worrisome of the brand’s reputation.

Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you order anything from Canon?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I kinda of get your point, but that being said the camera doesn't really have a peer. If you are a pro and love the video specs you can buy more than one and keep on shooting. What else gives you 8k? Most reviewers report the 4khq is top notch. Is the Nikon z7 better? What about the A7R4? Which camera is better all around than this camera?
I agree. The 4kHQ downsampled from the 8K is amazing and is honestly my favorite part of the video specs. If they can alleviate the overheating there, I think everyone would be a lot more forgiving but it’s highly unlikely for this gen. Maybe next gen will have better heat dissipation. I’m sure it’s incredibly hard given the amount of processing power required and the great weather sealing.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
My workflow has not changed at all with the R5 and I am super happy with the Camera. Shame the focus is on what it can't do and not what it can.
  • Editing 8K just laughs at my PC so I am transcoding
  • The standard 4K looks as good or better then the 4K out of my EOS R and no crop.
  • The 1.6 Crop 4K looks much better than the cropped EOS R 4K
  • Punching in on the 8K looks awesome - I think I am going to try and setup a 5min clip using the 15-35 with the goal of having 3 or 4 "scenes" all recorded at the same time and just punch in to create scene isolation. I think the detail is there to do it, pass or fail it will be fun to mess with.
  • 8K is nuts to work with Example this clip
    took 2 hours to show up on Youtube as 8K. It is just to test the upload time of 12secs 8k and not a good video, but I have never had 8K before so it still seems cool to me.
The R5 is everything "I" wanted from a Canon Pro body so I am going to be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
No gun to my head. I have other cameras, but I did invest in RF thinking Canon would deliver so that’s my bad I guess? It amazes me how so many stand by Canon 100%

I am not sure anyone is standing by Canon 100% we are just being realistic. Keep in mind if you want to shoot 8k raw video you get about 13 minutes of record time with a 256gb card. 1tb gets you less than one hour. 1tb per hour is going to generate a lot of heat, and require massive storage requirements. It seems all of a sudden everyone wants to go out and film terabytes of data daily, and are now pitching fit that they can't. If I wanted to go out and film for two hours, that would be approximately 3 Tb's of data. What are you going to record all of this to? Are you going to change out memory cards every 15 to 20 minutes, or will you be using an external recorder? If the latter then you can keep recording. Either the camera works for you or it doesn't.

I have my issues with Canon myself mainly right now my 1dx3 is getting the crap kicked out of it(not really but kinda) by the r6 at less than 1/2 the price. I am hoping for some firmware updates for the mk3 for use in live view

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
No gun to my head. I have other cameras, but I did invest in RF thinking Canon would deliver so that’s my bad I guess? It amazes me how so many stand by Canon 100%
here is a good news for you.
RED release RED KOMODO with RF mount. it also have AF. and its priced around 5000-6000$.
if R5 become perfect as you imagine. RED KOMODO is just DOA.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0