The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
R5 + Laowa 15mm macro

R5 + RF35 1.8 macro
f/22, sharpened with Topaz

R5 RF100 @ f/11

Just to compare the look of the different focal lengths. Maybe 500mm is not allways the best.
Thanks a lot for that really interesting comparison, @Nemorino.

And of course, 500mm is not always the best. It always depends on what photo you want to achieve.
And for me, it is about convenience as well.
If I take the 100-500 with me, I only need one lens for birding and insects at the same time, esp. when I also want to do BIF and DIF at the same time.
And I need no big bag.
And I know, you like the look with the sharper BG like with the Laowa or the RF35 STM. Much more than I do. But I like looking at your photos.
And maybe, I'll try similar things next season.
Please keep inspiring us like you did in the past (y)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks a lot for that really interesting comparison, @Nemorino.

And of course, 500mm is not always the best. It always depends on what photo you want to achieve.
And for me, it is about convenience as well.
If I take the 100-500 with me, I only need one lens for birding and insects at the same time, esp. when I also want to do BIF and DIF at the same time.
And I need no big bag.
And I know, you like the look with the sharper BG like with the Laowa or the RF35 STM. Much more than I do. But I like looking at your photos.
And maybe, I'll try similar things next season.
Please keep inspiring us like you did in the past (y)
Same here as I have written far too often. I can go out for a whole day with the R7/100-400 or R5/100-500. You can even do dragonflies and birds together like this, 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC. But, it would have been so much better with a 100-400/500 as I could have got the whole bird in - we were too close in a Jeep in Tanzania. My wife did much better with the EF 100-400mm II on the 5DSR, and I decided to drop the primes from then.

2B4A2456-DxO_Whitefronted_Beeeater+dragonfly_cv-ls-sf.jpeg3Q7A8327-DxO_dragonfly.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
R5 + Laowa 15mm macro
View attachment 213380
R5 + RF35 1.8 macro
f/22, sharpened with Topaz
View attachment 213381
R5 RF100 @ f/11
View attachment 213382

Just to compare the look of the different focal lengths. Maybe 500mm is not allways the best.
I don't recall anyone saying 500mm is the best lens for every occasion (if I miss something, please tell me what it is...)? Neither I recall that 800mm is such a versatile lens (just not to talk only about 500mm.;)!).

And now - show us the best bird photos you did take with any of the above mentioned (by you!) lenses (frozen chicken is not accepted(n))! I can show (and I did posted!) insects taken with 500mm prime - not the same IQ as the taken with specialized lenses for these objects off course, neither better than what I did take with my 200-500 copy (MFD is very good explanation)! And I have seen here better photos than what I have - taken with RF 100-500!
What the usual talk around is about the versatility of some modern telephoto zooms (combined with a lot different IQ in comparison with the older models - for good!!! RF 100-500 is a great example!) - against primes! On other hand the primes still have (if we are talking about recent editions!) some edge (even in the prize :)). And with the talks about sensors with "some" (ha, ha!) extra pixels, I'm not sure the primes will not take again the ultimate lead (not because they totally lost that lead! They just got by far more questioned by the zooms - for good reasons!!!). No idea what you have to sacrifice for such a future prime (kidney? Ha, ha... what ever...). On other hand if the zooms are able to keep that ratio of IQ on that level they are the future!
And finally: I like your photos, you are talented and you are looking for something different, but for sure not everyone is going that very yours path in photography!

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Sorry, I didn't talk about convinience. The topic has been the look.
Of cause there are a lot of situations you can get a shot only with a long focal length but I allways try to get closer and get a more natural FOV.
Is there one with 500mm to compare?
I think you don't need one as you have thousands good shots at 500mm.;)
The pictures are from 2022 and I only had the 100-400. And I deleted all the shots of this dragonfly taken with the 100-400 because I didn't like the way they looked.

Upvote 0