Dragonflies and Damselflies

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The colours are quite different because of the different backgrounds.
Not only because of the background but also because of the angle of incident light.

I absolutely fell in love with the beautiful demoiselles when I first saw them with thei typical metallic cobalt blue/cyan.
It was quite difficult to get them in this color style so when you see my pictures they allways have a touch of green as well.
Here is one where the color at the wings is almost perfect but missing sharpness on the body and ISO3200 is killing the details.20180609_0052.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The colour of the wing from my reading is not due to pigmentation but the structure of components of the wings, microcrystals, photonic crystals etc and so the colour varies according to the angle of viewing and whether the light is reflected or transmitted.

Nice shots Alan!
Same for Maximilian, but I have to agree with the Alan's explanation of the variable color!

I still have no new photos of this sort, will try do get some in the weekend.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The colour of the wing from my reading is not due to pigmentation but the structure of components of the wings, microcrystals, photonic crystals etc and so the colour varies according to the angle of viewing and whether the light is reflected or transmitted.
+1 and 100% with you
If I ever wrote something sounding different, I wasn't precise enough.
It is because of the micro pigmentation/crystals in combination with angle of viewing AND angle of incident light.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
+1 and 100% with you
If I ever wrote something sounding different, I wasn't precise enough.
It is because of the micro pigmentation/crystals in combination with angle of viewing AND angle of incident light.

You are absolutely right. It's really interesting how the banded demoiselles look intensely blue when they flutter and the light reflects from their bands but their wings have black bands when viewed against the light and you just see the transmitted rays, like this one. And in the flying shots you can sometimes see a pair of black and a pair of blue wings.
bandeddemoiselle_3Q7A6256-DxO_CR.jpg.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Sorry, it wasn’t meant as a dig at you, I could probably have worded it better but I’m no English professor! :)
My intention was for those posting here who didn’t know of it’s existence to be aware of its presence and be able to look at some other great work.

Cheers, Graham.

Well, I could say that it doesn't include damselflies or that it had become dormant. But, the truth is I had missed it! Anyway, we are having good fun with the new thread and its revived interest in this fascinating area of nature.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan.
Sorry, it wasn’t meant as a dig at you, I could probably have worded it better but I’m no English professor! :)
My intention was for those posting here who didn’t know of it’s existence to be aware of its presence and be able to look at some other great work.

Cheers, Graham.
Graham
No offence taken!
Alan

Upvote 0