Dragonflies and Damselflies

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If it's at mfd, very low dof and that angle, it might perhaps be better to crop and just show the face and forelegs - what do you think?
Good point and good idea. Thanks, @AlanF
My idea and thought was to show the whole dragonfly, and I still like those pics as they are.
But I'll try it out and repost the different framing. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Blue-tailed Damselfly (R7+100-400mm). It's so much less noticeable when visiting a local park to have the more discrete kit, and it does the job.
When I see the results of the RF100-400 and knowing its MFD and that I normally start with f/8 when doing insects and flowers, I'm sure it'll be one of my first lenses, when I get into R system.
But maybe the 800 might be better for the kingfishers... :unsure: ;)

But first I'll have to see how much I can get for my kidney. Is it a good idea to sell the second one, too ...? :rolleyes::eek::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When I see the results of the RF100-400 and knowing its MFD and that I normally start with f/8 when doing insects and flowers, I'm sure it'll be one of my first lenses, when I get into R system.
But maybe the 800 might be better for the kingfishers... :unsure: ;)

But first I'll have to see how much I can get for my kidney. Is it a good idea to sell the second one, too ...? :rolleyes::eek::ROFLMAO:
Trading in your 5DIV and EF 100-400 ii would cover the cost of an R7 + RF100-400! But, it might be a step down.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Trading in your 5DIV and EF 100-400 ii would cover the cost of an R7 + RF100-400! But, it might be a step down.
Thanks for that suggestion. But I'd take that for a step down.
Seeing the advantages of FF (for me and my variable style of photography), I'll keep waiting for a FF successor of an RP or keep saving for an R5 (or its successor ;) ).
Whatever comes first :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for that suggestion. But I'd take that for a step down.
Seeing the advantages of FF (for me and my variable style of photography), I'll keep waiting for a FF successor of an RP or keep saving for an R5 (or its successor ;) ).
Whatever comes first :ROFLMAO:
I took out the R7/RF100-400 for difficult DIF shots, and I just couldn't get any. Today, the R5/RF100-500 worked its usual wonders and latched on to fast flying ones I could hardly keep up with. Whatever anyone says about the R7 having faster AF, my experience is the opposite - the R5 is difficult to beat.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I took out the R7/RF100-400 for difficult DIF shots, and I just couldn't get any. Today, the R5/RF100-500 worked its usual wonders and latched on to fast flying ones I could hardly keep up with. Whatever anyone says about the R7 having faster AF, my experience is the opposite - the R5 is difficult to beat.
And I haven't heard wonders about the R7 sensor, so this is grist to my mill ;)
And I will continue to pursue my plan.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
@Maximilian here's what I call high cropping, from this afternoon - R5/RF100-500 and an Emperor Dragonfly in full hunting flight the other side of the lake. What can you do with it? Make some gifs with a cut of 14% of the area, or go one stage further and use just 1.1% of the area are some things.

309A4927-DxO_Emperor_dragonfly_flying_full_frame_small.jpgEmperor_Dragonfly in full_flight.gifEmperor_Dragonfly_in_flight_cropped.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If it's at mfd, very low dof and that angle, it might perhaps be better to crop and just show the face and forelegs - what do you think?
This is my approach. To me the first one is not sharp enough, though the leg position is more interesting.
Did you think about an even closer framing, @AlanF?

skimmerr_2022_04_d.JPGskimmerr_2022_05_d.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots, Maximilian.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Interesting thought. Can you explain, why these remind you of F-18s?
Well first, your depth of field reminded me of the visible haze noticed during the scenes taking off from aircraft carriers. Second, your great images show off the fuselage/wing similarity between nature and sleek aircraft. I really like full wing composition. The closer crops do not convey the same essence.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks. I'll check out my ones at close distances. Stopping down is no bad thing at these close distances anyway.
Been trying to decide whether to pick up a rf10-400 due to that fantastic light weight for travel, but was very confused at some examples that weren't particularly exciting, and others that quite surprised me with how good they were - I think you've answered why - close vs far, f8 vs f9 or 11.

This thread has been great for the decision making process, thanks everyone for your wonderful images!

Upvote 0