Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It seems that dragonflies have a tracking system that Canon learn from!
Cool stuff :)
I wonder what the small pearl-looking objects next to the nose are. And there is something looking like a single optical lens centered in the nose...
The metal pearls looks very much like the germanium lenses used on thermal imaging cameras but it simply can't be. Snakes has thermal vision but since there is no biological material that can act as lens for thermal radiation, they use a 'pit'-sensor which is is more or less a pinhole camera with extremely low resolution.

I read somewhere that dragonflies shake the retina behind the facets to improve resolution beyond 'facet-grid'. So it was quite fun to read the press release from Hasselblad about their new technique to improve resultion from a 50 Mp sensor to 200 Mp.. guess how they do it :p
https://www.wired.com/2011/05/hasselblad-squeezes-200mp-images-by-shaking-a-50mb-sensor/

F36A2123 ZS_part.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Erik I checked out your flicker pages and gave you some well deserved favs.

I'm really trying to do birds but these guys keep showing up instead.

This is a blue dasher eating a damselfly probably... based on other unposted shots.

The quality of the photos here is getting too good, I'm embarrassed to post my humble guns. Keep up the good work but post a thumb shot or a shutter cap every once in a while, please.:)

DF eating side                                          .JPGDF watches DF eat DF                                          .JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0