Dragonflies and Damselflies

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
So, I took my van in for a pair of tyres and then went for a stroll along the disused railway line, took my 7DII and 100-400 II with me.
I got these!
He landed on my stomach, plenty of real estate there to land :LOL: but well inside the mfd of a 100-400! :rolleyes:

He allowed me to lift him off, I gently put my little finger behind him and he obliged by stepping on, then he flat refused to step on to the railing, still well within mfd!
When he finally left it was on the wing and he was gone as fast as he had arrived!
Camera, iPhone 8, settings, who knows! :oops:
I was very pleased he stopped by for a visit. :cool:

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Folks.
So, I took my van in for a pair of tyres and then went for a stroll along the disused railway line, took my 7DII and 100-400 II with me.
I got these!
He landed on my stomach, plenty of real estate there to land :LOL: but well inside the mfd of a 100-400! :rolleyes:
View attachment 185676

He allowed me to lift him off, I gently put my little finger behind him and he obliged by stepping on, then he flat refused to step on to the railing, still well within mfd!
View attachment 185677
When he finally left it was on the wing and he was gone as fast as he had arrived!

Cheers, Graham.
Cool story!

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.
I got these!

Cheers, Graham.
Nice one! More spare tyres for your tum?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Thanks for the feedback.
Eric, I think with the extension tube the lens, tube and camera would not have physically fitted the available space between eye and stomach, and I will struggle to hold and drive the camera one handed, I will have to get him on my left hand too! :ROFLMAO:
Alan, I’m trying to stick to one spare tyre on the tum! It used to be a 185/60 R16, :unsure: now it has grown in to a 285/65 R20! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
A close-up of an yellow-winged darter taken with the 150mm sigma macro and 2x teleconverter, focus stack of 14 pictures. I like the way evolution has solved the border line in the eyes, between the upper brown low-resolution facets and the small green high-resolution facets below (click twice for full picture size.)
Why do I get a creepy feeling that some aliens in a galaxy far far away are discussing the pictures of humans they took at their last holiday trip to earth.. :pLuckily, we have no idea what is happening on the galactic web right now :D And mayby I shouldn't listen to hypnotic music while editing pictures

F36A4261_ZS_DMap_14p_ret_DxO_4000

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2015
A close-up of an yellow-winged darter taken with the 150mm sigma macro and 2x teleconverter, focus stack of 14 pictures. I like the way evolution has solved the border line in the eyes, between the upper brown low-resolution facets and the small green high-resolution facets below (click twice for full picture size.)
Why do I get a creepy feeling that some aliens in a galaxy far far away are discussing the pictures of humans they took at their last holiday trip to earth.. :pLuckily, we have no idea what is happening on the galactic web right now :D And mayby I shouldn't listen to hypnotic music while editing pictures

Wow, that's really great shooting!
When looking at insects, I've often thought that most of them look like something from outer space. I'm sure those bugs are all aliens.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's really great shooting!
When looking at insects, I've often thought that most of them look like something from outer space. I'm sure those bugs are all aliens.
+1000 on the shot ;)
... and indeed, those bugs just may be the drones of aliens, checking us out (they have plenty eyes and all kinds of antennas on their bodies :ROFLMAO:)
W.

Upvote 0
+1 How quickly did you have to work?

Jack
It takes about 4 seconds to shoot a stack (using 5D3 continuous shooting while advancing focus manually), lets say that 50% of the attempts are successful. The dragonflies turn their head to the side occasionally, probably to check for possible threats in the sky. Also they lower their wings gradually as they relax, it causes trouble.. :rolleyes: But the main problem is to hold the camera steady, free-hand macro is not easy :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It takes about 4 seconds to shoot a stack (using 5D3 continuous shooting while advancing focus manually), lets say that 50% of the attempts are successful. The dragonflies turn their head to the side occasionally, probably to check for possible threats in the sky. Also they lower their wings gradually as they relax, it causes trouble.. :rolleyes: But the main problem is to hold the camera steady, free-hand macro is not easy :p

Would it be fair to say that Canon could incorporate a focus stack into their cameras quite easily? With high FPS the job should be a lot easier but not if you have to manually focus.

Jack

Upvote 0
...Would it be fair to say that Canon could incorporate a focus stack into their cameras quite easily?..

Definitely! I think Magic Lantern adds some kind of stacking feature but only from live view. But I couldn't stand the increased start-up time ML caused so I had to throw it out.. This was years ago, maybe it is better now?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice hot weathers to shoot hawkers :) 25c and rubberboots on sun ! RP 70-300 nano usmView attachment 185794
You are getting good at these! It's pretty amazing that you can get these in flight shots on the RP and 70-300, Well done!
We have just hit 38.1 c in my town, only the second time this temperature has been recorded in the UK. So, I haven't wandered out.

Upvote 0