Dragonflies and Damselflies

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
R5 + 100-500mm for DIF. ...
I got ones in real flight and the AF locked on against a cleaner background and didn't let go. Here's a selection, and I wasn't focussing on where I knew they were going to return etc, but these were real in flight pics.
Great samples. Thanks for the info.
Maybe after a few more tries please tell me which body AF feels more comfortable to you. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Demoiselles are showing off everywhere
Great samples. Thanks for the info.
Maybe after a few more tries please tell me which body AF feels more comfortable to you. Thanks in advance.
Guess which one was taken with the R5/100-500mm and D850/500mmPF.

Banded_Demoiselle_1.jpgBanded_Demoiselle_2.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I assume you mean the 100-500 :ROFLMAO: Because the use of plural made me wonder momentarily about the availability of insects :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Sorry I could not resist :D
Damn it :mad:: my English is really poor!!! I didn't get it...
The Demoiselles are showing off everywhere

Guess which one was taken with the R5/100-500mm and D850/500mmPF.

View attachment 198284View attachment 198285
At close look the first one seems better to me. On other hand I'm sure you know it's hardly "scientific" comparison... Second one is shallow in DOF.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Sometimes they are very relaxed. :cool:

I even got closer last year ;)
Eos R and Laowa 60mm Macro @mfd, MT24, uncroped
Iso 800, 1/500s, f/?
View attachment 198240
This is from not less than 2.2 meters (the MFD of 200-500). Cropped. Can't beat your photo by any means but to snap occasional photo of a Dragonfly when hunting birds is kind of advantage for me... Off course to see some detail you have to zoom into the photo (or I have to crop even more). The things are changing when you try DIF;)!

DSC_6289_DxO_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is from not less than 2.2 meters (the MFD of 200-500). Cropped. Can't beat your photo by any means but to snap occasional photo of a Dragonfly when hunting birds is kind of advantage for me... Off course to see some detail you have to zoom into the photo (or I have to crop even more). The things are changing when you try DIF;)!

View attachment 198291
It’s not a case of “beat”, though I know you don’t really mean that. It‘s nice occasionally to see a macro of an eye but I like in general a whole insect in less detail but mainly in focus and beautifully posed.

The one of mine you pointed out that has less dof was taken with the zoom closer up and the other with the prime at its mfd of 3m. 3m is quite a good distance for these shots because it‘s easier to get the whole insect in focus, apart from wings poking out etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful picture. Lovely background.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was lucky to come across an emerging damselfly on my first trip to the pond last week:

After looking at the pictures on the computer I noticed that I completely forgot to take proper pictures of the wings expanding, drying and going translucent :(

Both with an R5 + 180L
Really nice! As Louis Pasteur said, luck favours the person with a prepared camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shot!
d055.gif
Well done, Maximilian.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Nice shot! How did you track it?
Thank you.
It was returning to its raised hide. I did focus on that branch, aiming over and through the OVF and when it approached I did fire away.
I have another sequence with a story behind it, but I'll have to pp the pics first. :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you.
It was returning to its raised hide. I did focus on that branch, aiming over and through the OVF and when it approached I did fire away.
I have another sequence with a story behind it, but I'll have to pp the pics first. :)
I guessed so as it's so damned difficult to focus on them in random mid-flight. I was lucky that I was tracking the Emperor and the Chaser took over.

4-spot_chaser_dragonfly_gif.gif

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0