Dragonflies and Damselflies

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I just had a look at wikipedia and would say the picture of maximillian is a black-tailed skimmer and the one of Alan is a Scarce Chaser:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-tailed_skimmer
"The wings spread more or less horizontally in repose. They are dissimilar in shape and venation, sessile, unpatterned and clear."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libellula_depressa
"Both fore and hind wings have a dark patch at the base."
Hi @Nemorino!

Thanks for trying to help us out.

When I try to determine a dragonfly/damselfly I choose at least three sources:
  • of course I use wikipedia.org in both German and English version, because pictures sometimes differ.
  • I really like the page www.libellen.tv (Ger) of Dirk Pape-Lange, a really great source of knowledge.
    Sometimes not 100% up to date (e.g. winter damselfly beeing not as threatened as described)
  • And last but not least the really good book "Kosmos Libellenführer".
And if all those three sources don't work, I have a degreed biologist and his human sources to ask.

About my pic of a black-tailed skimmer beeing a scarce chaser I can say that looking at the basal spots - difficult at the side view perspective - the red circle shows the basal spots at the hind wing while the blue circle shows the basal lines at the fore wing.

This is matching the fact that most "blue" dragonfly I spotted out throughout the last days were scarce chasers.
This fits the data that black-tailed skimmers start to appear in late May/early June and scarce chasers already in early May .
Of course climate change can mix this up.

chaser.jpg

Here the original pic reposted:
scarce_chaser_2022_02.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Still mulling over this... :unsure:

Finally my 2022 edition of the "ultimate :ROFLMAO: blue dragonfly" comparison, all shot throughout the last few days.
Enjoy...

blacktailed skimmer, male (orthetrum cancellatum)
  • no basal spots on any wings
  • mature have green eyes
skimmer_2022_01.JPG

scarce chaser, male (aka. blue chaser, libellula fulva)
  • basal spots only on the hind wings, fine basal lines on the fore wings
  • mature have blue eyes
scarce_chaser_2022_03.JPG

broad-bodied chaser, male (libellula depressa)
  • large basal spots on all four wings
  • mature have brown eyes
broad_bodied_chaser_2022_01.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0