Dragonflies and Damselflies

A pair of Common Blue Damseflies were doing their thing, and were then disturbed by a second male (R5+200-800, f/14). (The 200-800mm is not my 1st choice but at the moment I can't get closer than 3 or 4m anyway and it's better than any of my other lenses for that distance.)

309A7450-DxO_Male+Female_Common_Blue_Damselfly-lss.jpeg309A7462-DxO_2_Male+Female_Common_Blue_Damselfly-lssn.jpeg309A7472-DxO_2_Male+Female_Common_Blue_Damselfly-lss.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Nemorino, AlanF and koenkooi,

Beautiful shots, guys.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm getting slightly better at sneaking up on damselflies:
The change in FoV going from R7+100-500L to R8+100L at the same subject distance was larger than I anticipated, but I managed to find the damselfly again :)

And a focus stack using the R7+100L:

The R7 needs steady hands for that, I had to prune the resulting stack heavily to remove shots where everything was skewed a bit due the slow readout and the camera moving from side to side. I'd like to blame the wind, but there wasn't any this morning :)
The overlap was large enough that I could remove every other shot and then use the retouching tools in Helicon focus to remove the most obvious stacking errors.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0