EF 35 f/1.4L and EF 35 f/1.4L II MTF Comparison

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

https://www.calumetphoto.nl/product/Canon-EF-35-mm-f1-4-L-II-USM/CAN3514LII?tracking=|searchterm:Ef|35

The price, while it "feels very high" is not out of reality for a premium, top-of-the-line Canon branded L series. Let me explain. Everyone likes to compare Canon with the Sigma Art Series, and while it is a valid comparison, at least from an optical viewpoint, a better comparison is to compare it with something more similar. For example, one can make a comparison between a Corvette and a Lamborghini (spelling?) for horsepower, straightline acceleration, etc. But the reality is, for a true "autophile", there is no real comparison between the two. Likewise, with a Canon L series, not only are you buying a lens that is guaranteed to work with all current Canon bodies, but also with future bodies seamlessly. Moreover, resale value, for some, will also be a consideration. Another guarantee: Canon will hold resale way above and for a much longer time than the Sigma (or any other third-party lens). The only exception to this rule, and in my opinion, a better comparison, is to the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon T lens for Canon. This lens is currently selling from B&H photo for $1,543USD. And note this price is with an instant savings of $300USD.

The other point I would make, is that Canon doesn't necessarily drive business decisions based on what the competition is doing. (Certainly this has some weight on what they do and bring to market, but is not the sole driver.) This new lens is looking like another "world beater" like another poster referred to a few other of Canon's more recent offerings. And with the new BR lens group/element sounds like this might be a stellar performer for astrophotographers and those that like to do nighttime landscapes - virtually no Coma. But we shall see.
A caveat: I will in all likelihood never own this lens, as I am not a professional photographer, nor equipped with a bottomless wallet. But I am very excited by what Canon continues to do. Especially when one considers all of the different businesses/products they make. (Similar to Nikon)

Obviously not as versatile as a zoom, but this could be a fantastic lens for weddings/environmental portraits. Especially if wanting or limited to using available light. Just think of the images one could capture in low light with this mounted on a 6D...
Cheers.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
mackguyver said:

This lens is a remarkable upgrade after looking at those samples!

In particular the one I know the MkI 35 would ruin is the shot of the binoculars http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/L262_5DS_CINC_Sample_Image_10_tcm14-1290743.JPG the right side, highlight edge of that would be a horrible mess of CA.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

resale value, for some, will also be a consideration. Another guarantee: Canon will hold resale way above and for a much longer time than the Sigma (or any other third-party lens).

[/quote]

This is quite valid for the most popular lenses. I bought the 35L new, used it for two years, sold it for a $50 profit. The 70-200 2.8 IS II I did even better, buying used and selling for almost $200 profit two years later. Both sold for the price of new at the time, the buyer only saved sales tax and risked buying unseen for that small savings. Canon is really incredible in this respect.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
aj1575 said:
Just looking at the MTF, this lens simply looks amazing. There seems to be nothing coming close to it, even the 55mm Otus looks less good.

But the question remains, since even the Sigma 35 Art is alreday very good, who is going to pay twice the price for such a lens? Is will definitly be an option for medium Format shooters to move to a 5Ds with such a lens. The IQ should be on a comparable level.

since when is gains in optical performance equal to the price ratio?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Random Orbits said:
The 35L sells at a price above the Sigma already and it doesn't make sense for Canon to invest a lot of R&D to sell the 35L II for less. Give it some time, and the 35L II price will drop. It'll still be more than the Sigma but it will be more weather resistant, have higher IQ and work with Canon AF CONSISTENTLY.

+1

Consistent AF performance at f/1.4 would easily be worth +$500 to me over the Sigma. I am not joking.

You buy an autofocusing f/1.4 lens to autofocus at f/1.4. I don't mind the need to tune it with AFMA or a USB dock, but once it's dialed in, it should be consistent. In my hands, the Sigma was not, but I know a lot of people love that lens.

- A

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
mackguyver said:
Hey Mac! Good to see you´re still with us.
Hi there, Eldar, thanks for the note. I'm still alive :). My health has greatly improved and I even made it out to shoot recently. Unfortunately my job has gotten extremely busy, limiting my time on CR as well.

This lens certainly intrigues me, but I'm actually more excited about the thoughts of a new 24L, 50L, and 85L in the years to come with less CA wide open. If they are as good as this lens looks to be, then Canon's got a whole new standard they will be rolling out. I guess the rumors of fast lenses being dead are false.

Long live the fast prime!

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
mackguyver said:
Hey Mac! Good to see you´re still with us.
Hi there, Eldar, thanks for the note. I'm still alive :). My health has greatly improved and I even made it out to shoot recently. Unfortunately my job has gotten extremely busy, limiting my time on CR as well.

This lens certainly intrigues me, but I'm actually more excited about the thoughts of a new 24L, 50L, and 85L in the years to come with less CA wide open. If they are as good as this lens looks to be, then Canon's got a whole new standard they will be rolling out. I guess the rumors of fast lenses being dead are false.

Long live the fast prime!

I think you're right.. and I think it's strategic on Canons part.

The lensrentals MTF data shows canons latest lenses are being made far more consistantly, which means better build precision. Once you've got that production precision and a high MP sensor, then you can go about releasing higher resolution optics as you can now make them in volume and see the difference in the final image, yes they'll cost more, but photographers can see the difference.

That these three things have come together is, IMHO, no accident.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
mackguyver said:

This lens is a remarkable upgrade after looking at those samples!

In particular the one I know the MkI 35 would ruin is the shot of the binoculars http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/L262_5DS_CINC_Sample_Image_10_tcm14-1290743.JPG the right side, highlight edge of that would be a horrible mess of CA.

Yes, this is the beauty of an APO design.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
gregory4000 said:
There are plenary of photographers who want the best. I feel the price will be justified considering Leica,
Their 35mm is costlier and doesn't even autofocus.
As regards DXO. This will rate high.
The Zeiss Otus may have quality to contend with. Keep in mind, If Zeiss made an Otus 35mm it would cost $5k.

If! DXO rates it, it will rate high. DXO seems to do all they can to avoid Canon from looking good. The lack of lenses tested on 5DS+R is hard to understand, as caused by anything other than DXO's intentions .

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Khalai said:
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

https://www.calumetphoto.nl/product/Canon-EF-35-mm-f1-4-L-II-USM/CAN3514LII?tracking=|searchterm:Ef|35

That's sick - but let's wait for early adopters. wanting more money than for 24-70 II is quite insane and the price will hopefully settle down under 1600-1700 EUR.
If it´s any comfort, it is significantly worse in Scandinavia ... $2800 in Norway and apparently even worse in Finland.

285,000 here in Japan (about $2,400 at a straight conversion).

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Eldar said:
Khalai said:
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

That's sick - but let's wait for early adopters. wanting more money than for 24-70 II is quite insane and the price will hopefully settle down under 1600-1700 EUR.
If it´s any comfort, it is significantly worse in Scandinavia ... $2800 in Norway and apparently even worse in Finland.

Well, 2069 EUR in Czech republic, which is about 2333 USD. Sucks :( 500 USD difference? I may as well buy ticket to NYC, go to B&H, make myself a nice trip and still spend less than buying it in EU, dammit!

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Random Orbits said:
infared said:
aj1575 said:
Just looking at the MTF, this lens simply looks amazing. There seems to be nothing coming close to it, even the 55mm Otus looks less good.

But the question remains, since even the Sigma 35 Art is alreday very good, who is going to pay twice the price for such a lens? Is will definitly be an option for medium Format shooters to move to a 5Ds with such a lens. The IQ should be on a comparable level.

I think your comment is spot on. Although this lens looks absolutely amazing...I have a Sigma Art that I am very happy with and I do not plan on purchasing this lens. For me, from a cost standpoint it is prohibitive....but it does have its place in the growing Canon lineup especially for the larger megapixel bodies. There will be a ton of opinions and reviews on this baby!

The Canon is marketed and will not be bought by those that are the most price sensitive. The 35L sells at a price above the Sigma already and it doesn't make sense for Canon to invest a lot of R&D to sell the 35L II for less. Give it some time, and the 35L II price will drop. It'll still be more than the Sigma but it will be more weather resistant, have higher IQ and work with Canon AF CONSISTENTLY.

A lot of people said similar things of the 24-70 II compared to the Tamron 24-70, 24-70 f/4 IS compared to the 24-100 f/4, the 5DS compared to the 5DIII. The prices in all those cases were much higher for the newer Canon option and the boards lit up with similar "Who would buy it?" But once the reviews are in, and the prices settle, people do see the value of the newer offering and buy it. Not everyone, but enough.

The Sigma AF definitely an issue. I own both the 35mm & 50mm Art lenses and the Sigma Dock. I went thru the ringer with it. I bought an 35mm first...and thought that the AF was "fine"...then I bought a 50mm and it was a nightmare...I could not get it to focus correctly even with the dock. It was "spotty. I sent it back to B&H and requested another copy...and, after "carefully" dialing in the focus on the Dock it has been fabulous. I usually only use single-point AF so....I do not know about other AF settings. The AF works with central or edge AF points....I then double checked my 35mm "very carefully" after my experience with the 50mm and found it to be "off" more than my new 50mm. So...I used the Dock to adjust the 35mm in all 4 focus zones as I had the 50mm and since that time...I have found that both lenses are just incredible. Yes..at f/1.4. I double checked before typing this...I tested at infinity, medium distance and close..very close at f1.4. They are spot on. Its funny while I was doing that I put my Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS on the my 5DIII and it MISSED focus on a candle wick...focusing on the rim of the candle behind it when the focus point was dead on the wick. Second shot it nailed it, though.
So ...I guess no lens/camera AF situation is perfect....and I have to say...I do not blame anyone who does not want to go thru the process I had to go thru to get great results from the Sigma's....I mean..hey I spend almost a couple of thousand dollars on two lenses and I have to dedicate a lot of time, buy a dock and jump through hoops to get them to perform precisely. Yeah..its annoying...but for me ...for what is out there (and even this stellar looking new 35mm f/1.4II from Canon at $1800), I think I have two very stellar lenses for what I have paid for them. I know that some agree with that outlook and some don't....but I just love some of the images that I have been able to create with these lenses. Really love them when I want low DOF.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
Eldar said:
Khalai said:
Han said:
So that's 2099 euro's !

Well, 2069 EUR in Czech republic, which is about 2333 USD. Sucks :( 500 USD difference? I may as well buy ticket to NYC, go to B&H, make myself a nice trip and still spend less than buying it in EU, dammit!

You'll have to wait for the grey imports

As a guide you can get grey imports of the 11-24 for £2099 inc VAT vs £2799 inc VAT and the 5Ds for £2375 inc VAT vs £2999 inc VAT. The 5Ds was released less than 3 months ago.. On that basis you ought to be able to get your mits on a grey 35LII by end of November at the very latest.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Virtually all wide aperture lenses have issues with longitudinal CA's (Purple Fringing).

The BR lens is a huge advance in technology.

LOCA's cannot be removed by software. Lightroom will find the purple fringing and turn it to gray, but the fringing is still there.

Just the elimination of LOCA's alone will make wide aperture images appear to be sharper.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Virtually all wide aperture lenses have issues with longitudinal CA's (Purple Fringing).

The BR lens is a huge advance in technology.

LOCA's cannot be removed by software. Lightroom will find the purple fringing and turn it to gray, but the fringing is still there.

Just the elimination of LOCA's alone will make wide aperture images appear to be sharper.

Surely, and I am not trying to pick a semantics fight, if it doesn't have LoCA's then it is sharper, not just appears sharper. If an edge blur is lower it is, by definition, sharper.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
infared said:
The Sigma AF definitely an issue. I own both the 35mm & 50mm Art lenses and the Sigma Dock. I went thru the ringer with it. I bought an 35mm first...and thought that the AF was "fine"...then I bought a 50mm and it was a nightmare...I could not get it to focus correctly even with the dock. It was "spotty. I sent it back to B&H and requested another copy...and, after "carefully" dialing in the focus on the Dock it has been fabulous. I usually only use single-point AF so....I do not know about other AF settings. The AF works with central or edge AF points....I then double checked my 35mm "very carefully" after my experience with the 50mm and found it to be "off" more than my new 50mm. So...I used the Dock to adjust the 35mm in all 4 focus zones as I had the 50mm and since that time...I have found that both lenses are just incredible. Yes..at f/1.4. I double checked before typing this...I tested at infinity, medium distance and close..very close at f1.4. They are spot on. Its funny while I was doing that I put my Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS on the my 5DIII and it MISSED focus on a candle wick...focusing on the rim of the candle behind it when the focus point was dead on the wick. Second shot it nailed it, though.
So ...I guess no lens/camera AF situation is perfect....and I have to say...I do not blame anyone who does not want to go thru the process I had to go thru to get great results from the Sigma's....I mean..hey I spend almost a couple of thousand dollars on two lenses and I have to dedicate a lot of time, buy a dock and jump through hoops to get them to perform precisely. Yeah..its annoying...but for me ...for what is out there (and even this stellar looking new 35mm f/1.4II from Canon at $1800), I think I have two very stellar lenses for what I have paid for them. I know that some agree with that outlook and some don't....but I just love some of the images that I have been able to create with these lenses. Really love them when I want low DOF.

Thanks for sharing your story, but the USB dock will not solve inconsistent AF -- it will only solve front/back focusing, right?

See here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx
(Now this is Bryan Carnathan with the Sigma 50 Art, but I had a similar experience with the 35)

For the short version of what I'm concerned with, just pan down to the butterfly. Read the paragraph before the butterfly. Mouseover 1-10 and see what happens. Then read the last bit:

"A second copy of this lens shows similar inconsistent performance. Both this camera and the lens (via the dock) can be focus calibrated, but you cannot calibrate for inconsistency."

I thought the Sigma 35 Art on my 5D3 was razor, razor sharp. But it missed shots from f/1.4 to f/2 with glaring regularity, even with a very careful composition, no focus and recompose, single AF point instead of the '+' shaped cluster, etc.

In that light, paying 2x for the 35L II -- which is shaping up to be a sharper lens that also has fire-and-forget confidence with the AF -- seems a fair deal to me. Many may disagree with that, though.

- A

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:

I like the sample shots in full size. The portraits look great. Unfortunately the landscape shots don't look that good. The picture of the bright blue lagoon is not sharp. According to the Exif date it was shot at f8 1/320 ISO 100 but at 100% nothing is sharp. It might be noise reduction, JPEG compression or whatever but the picture lacks detail and sharpness. The daylight shot of Santorini was shot at f8 1/640 ISO 100 but it is not sharp at all, too. Hopefully it is just the JPEG compression... Such samples are not worth to be shown this way. The single house looks much better. There is detail and microcontrast where there should be one. Same for the large aperture samples, which look amazing.

I hope that this lens will just be the start of a series of updated lenses. A new 50mm and 85mm would be great. But I would love even more a new 40/45/50mm TS-E lens. I guess this new 35mm produces an image circle which is much larger than it needs to be. I guess this was the best way to achive this high corner performance. So how hard can it be to produce a new 40mm TS-E lens?

Upvote 0