EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM apperas at Canon.com.sg

Jun 17, 2012
China
The long-lived Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.x will get an update to v3.15 (Currently Error 404).

Digital Photo Professional 3.15.0 Updater

“Update History

Changes for Digital Photo Professional 3.15.0 Updater for Windows :

- Supports EF35mm f/1.4L II USM, EF50mm f/1.8 STM, EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM.“

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200458402.html

Attachments

• 20150930.png
    20150930.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 261
AvTvM said:
How small is the lens going to be? If not "totally pancake" then F/6.3 kills it for me as a kit zoom. 5.6 is already bad enough. For such a short focal range i'd expect a constant f/4 zoom.

If true this lens also makes the other rumor of a new entry-level M body even lower than the M3 more plausible. Wrong direction, Canon.

The big issue would be quality I'd say, the Sony 16-50mm has serious sharpness and light falloff issues, better to avoid that and go for .more limited specs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
If true this lens also makes the other rumor of a new entry-level M body even lower than the M3 more plausible. Wrong direction, Canon.

For selling cameras to the few thousand potential customers here on CR, that's probably true. For selling cameras to the few thousand million potential customers in the real world, it's probably exactly the right direction.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
For selling cameras to the few thousand potential customers here on CR, that's probably true. For selling cameras to the few thousand million potential customers in the real world, it's probably exactly the right direction.

Never let the financial needs of a successful multinational get in the way of the dreams of a few CR members hey !

/sarcasm ;-)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

Had Canon launched the M3 globally from the start and priced it 200 lower they'd by now already sold a good number more and made a really decent profit. Nobody in their right mind would believe that cost to build M3 is higher than a SL-1/100D or Rebel 5t/1200 D mirrorslapper.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
Nobody in their right mind would believe that cost to build M3 is higher than a SL-1/100D or Rebel 5t/1200 D mirrorslapper.

Do you believe that it costs Samsung more to build a thinner, lighter 'ultra slim' TV than the regular not-so-ultra slim model that otherwise has the same features? I guess anyone who pays a couple hundred bucks more and gets less is out of their mind. How does Samsung manage to stay in the TV market?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AvTvM said:
Had Canon launched the M3 globally from the start and priced it 200 lower they'd by now already sold a good number more and made a really decent profit. Nobody in their right mind would believe that cost to build M3 is higher than a SL-1/100D or Rebel 5t/1200 D mirrorslapper.

How can you know any of that? You can't, it is pure speculation.

But looking at the Amazon Japan selling numbers it seems Canon do know their market, and it is very price sensitive just as Canon predict, a post earlier showed the M2 still outselling the M3 just because of price. That leaves plenty of room for a dumbed down M4 in the volume markets where the M series are actually selling well.

It has been said a few times that this forum gives a very distorted view of the camera buying public, most camera buyers don't give a darn about minutiae we compulsively demand.

I am teaching a photography course at a college, it is a paid course that gets no credits so the students are there because they want to learn, of the 24 course attendees two have full frame cameras (both Canon 5D's, one MkII and one MkIII) the rest are Rebels, and damn those SL1's are small, as well as a couple of Nikon's for the DSLR's, then a lot of SX Powershots, a couple of crop sensor Sony's, and a few higher end P&S's. The course requirement for cameras is that they have a Mode dial (or menu) and Exposure Compensation.

I am all for a higher end M, but I am realistic enough to accept that the market for an M4 is probably going to make Canon more money of it is lower specced and priced. Besides, it won't be until we get a range of EF-M enthusiast lenses that the M will make more sense to the Western enthusiast. I have under 500 images from my M in my Lightroom catalog, it has replaced my G10, which is probably what Canon expected.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
AvTvM said:
Nobody in their right mind would believe that cost to build M3 is higher than a SL-1/100D or Rebel 5t/1200 D mirrorslapper.

I think your hatred of all things mirrored is clouding your judgment. The M is made in Japan, and is intrinsically better made and uses more expensive materials than the 100D for instance, in my case annoyingly so because if the 100D / SL1 had been made to the standard of the M I would have bought one, but of course then it wouldn't be so cheap.

Your way over estimating the reflex mirror assembly cost in a basic dslr.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Mr_Canuck said:
That spec has powerzoom pancake written all over it. And if so, it is absolutely the right direction.

Pancake yes, and I'd agree f6.3 sounds a bit off, but then it's used on the 55-200mm EF-m tele zoom to its plausable

Power zoom ? What makes you say that ?

Upvote 0