EF Mount Video Camera [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always amused by the artistic purists that fail to understand that Canon is a business that supports our creativity. The ability for Canon to market glass to photo & video means everyone gets better glass and we get better support from a leading brand. Many of the technical issues can be satisfied for the majority of the market's needs -maybe not those here- but that IS a good thing for everyone... even the artistic purists.

Like many here, it's easy to see that Canon management needs to better collaborate within their product groups to ensure continued success. I hope they get it together for everyone's sake!

Upvote 0
S

stopcrying

gene_can_sing said:
http://philipbloom.net/2011/07/13/birger/

Read that article and it's really SAD. With the Berger mount, Canon's very own EF lenses will work BETTER on Panasonic video cameras when using the Berger mount. Why? Because with the Berger adapter, you can electronically do focus pulls with EF lenses, something you cannot do on Canon cameras with their very own lenses! WTF?!?!?!

Now that is how far behind Canon has fallen and how horrible the management is. When the lenses that your very own company makes, works better on competitor cameras, that is ultimate FAIL on Canon's part.

WTF is Canon's problem? Is there just a serious management problem going on? Canon is becoming / has become such a PATHETIC company. At least soon when I either buy a Sony or a Panny, my EF lenses will work better on their cameras.

That just sounds so strange and really sad. WAKE UP Canon. You guys are seriously blowing it.

All the lack of activity on the part of Canon (No new DSLR, no video pro video cameras) shows that they have completely abandoned the Pro Market. Sure they are the biggest seller of cameras in the world with the highest profits, but they are just pushing dated tech to Mothers and grandmothers.

I literally joined this forum to bring you a giant box of tissues.

There is a follow focus unit to pull focus ELECTRONICALLY on CANON cameras using CANON glass.

http://www.okii.net/

I don't get why people get so frantic about all of this. Have you forgotten that these STILL cameras with the ability to achieve awesome looking video were NOT intended for PROFESSIONAL use?

I mean Canon HAS NEVER MADE A CAMERA DESIGNED to shoot video with the EF MOUNT lenses, so why in the world do you expect the technology we have at hand to accomplish that?

You know exactly what you are getting into when you buy a DSLR for video. Now if Canon were to release a camera with the intention to be used for video on the prosumer/professional level WITH EF GLASS and they didn't utilize the technology these companies have introduced, then go ahead and cry me a river.

Do we all want a new camera to come out to bridge the gap from a hybrid still/video camera to a legit video camera, yes, we do but it's not out yet from Canon so stop wasting your breath.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

I think most people, including myself, bought into the Canon video DSLR 3 years ago, thinking that Canon was going to innovate and push ahead because they had such a jump start over everyone else. We all knew that Canon DSLRs had problems with the video, but most just felt they were problems that were going to be fixed with the next iteration of the camera since the company knew of the problems.

Instead, in the past 3 years, Canon has addressed and fixed NONE of the problems (Moire, soft video, average codec), which leaves many people frustrated especially when they are issues that have been readily addressed by the competition (Sony and Panasonic).

You buy into a system with the expectation that the company that you've invested in will grow with you. Canon has not done that at all, and that is a huge let down for many of us who really believed in the system when it was revolutionary about 3 years back.

And now to hear that they don't plan on releasing a video camera until a year from now? That's just throwing acid onto the wounds.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In 1989, Canon released the "Canovision 8 A1" a new 8mm video standard, "Hi-8 format" camcorder that incorporated stereo sound. In 1990, the "UC-10," the smallest and lightest video camcorder in the world at the time was marketed.

Finally in 1991, Canon released the "LX-1," an 8mm video camcorder with interchangeable lenses, which was hailed as the product most deserving of the Canon's name. With the VL lens-mount standard, the "LX-1" made it possible to use interchangeable lens. Under the VL mount system, the lens data is transmitted to camera through the interchangeable lens with a built-in microcomputer and based on that information; the camera in turn sends a control command to the lens. The VL lens-mount system was standardized by Canon in cooperation with four other companies, however, Canon was the only company that actually marketed a camcorder using the system. The "LX-1" could use both the exclusive interchangeable lens and EF lenses designed for the EOS cameras. It was quite popular, especially in the United States

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Wauw.... I... really dont care. A companys survival is purely based on its current achievements, not past ones. What ever they have done and achieved in the past doens't give me proper updates and fixes for a system I paid a great deal for.

Canon has failed and probably because their native leaders are still stuck in that medieval mindset of pride and respect rather than actually achieving something and being innovative.

My next move would be, instead of waiting for the Birger mount, to start investing in old Nikon glass for my video system.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.