Ended: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $1999

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Re: Still Live: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $1999

They are certainly nice cameras. If I thought mine might fail, I would pick up a spare, but it has worked perfectly for over two years and I treat it very well.

You guys who have been thinking about going to full frame should get your cash ready for the next 5D3 sale!

Upvote 0

I think these sales really prove that the number of people using expensive gear hasn't fallen off in recent years, which in fact the opposite is true.

What this proves is that people are happy with what they have because the new cameras are either too expensive to justify replacing new gear and/or don't have the added features to make them upgrade.

There are plenty of photographers to support this market and they have plenty of money to spend when they see a reason to spend it. Paying $3500 for upgraded AF is a joke to many people, but $2000 is much more tempting. Many people would rather spend that money of traveling to nice places.

It's probably going to take a revolutionary new sensor to make the camera world turn upside down again with upgrades, which also boosts the used market and gets people into photography at lower price points. Everything else tossed at the wall in the last 5 years has failed to get the market spending money again.

Upvote 0

PhotographyFirst said:
I think these sales really prove that the number of people using expensive gear hasn't fallen off in recent years, which in fact the opposite is true.

What this proves is that people are happy with what they have because the new cameras are either too expensive to justify replacing new gear and/or don't have the added features to make them upgrade.

There are plenty of photographers to support this market and they have plenty of money to spend when they see a reason to spend it. Paying $3500 for upgraded AF is a joke to many people, but $2000 is much more tempting. Many people would rather spend that money of traveling to nice places.

It's probably going to take a revolutionary new sensor to make the camera world turn upside down again with upgrades, which also boosts the used market and gets people into photography at lower price points. Everything else tossed at the wall in the last 5 years has failed to get the market spending money again.

Sorry, but it does not prove anything. All you know (supposedly) is a few thousand bought at an amazing price. That's it.

Upvote 0

expatinasia said:
PhotographyFirst said:

Sorry, but it does not prove anything. All you know (supposedly) is a few thousand bought at an amazing price. That's it.
Prove may be a strong word, but it does strongly support what I am seeing. I interact with a lot of photographers and follow what people use across the internet. The number of people using DSLR gear is going up, but the sales are not following along, because they see no reason to upgrade and/or the used camera market is providing cheap gear that still lasts a long time.

I just installed Magic Lantern on my Rebel T1i and see no reason to upgrade it for my crop camera system. It will get used until it dies. :)

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014

Eagle Eye said:
Yeah, let's put some issues to rest here. Canon USA will absolutely service gray market items as long as they have the parts (meaning Canon USA carries the item; sorry new EF-M lens buyers). Canon USA will not recognize a gray market warranty. If the camera is from Canon Japan, they WILL cover your warranty. For $400 in savings, you can easily afford the hassle of sending off to Japan for an expensive warranty repair. Also, a reminder to use a credit card. All of my credit cards either double or triple my warranty coverage. After year one, MasterCard doesn't care who services their warranty, so Canon USA repairs will be reimbursed by MasterCard. There is no risk to buying gray market from a reputable dealer, particularly when backed by Ebay protections.

Indeed all the ef-m lenses are sold in Canada. My own 11-22 has the North America warranty card that is supported by Canon USA. Whether they have the parts or not, I'm not sure here. They may ship it to Canada or Japan for repairs.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
If it's any help to anyone, I recently bought a 5d Mark III off of AllNewShop, which is run by the same people as GetItDigital, and everything went very smoothly. They accidentally sent me the wrong tracking number, but they were quick to notice their mistake and called me to let me know about it and then upgraded my shipping for free when I asked if I would have the package before that weekend. It shipped out the same day and came the next morning. People on the phone were very friendly and answered all of my questions easily.

When the box arrived it was a UK 24-105mm Kit box, but nothing inside was touched except to remove the 24-105. No problems with the warranty or anything. I wasn't too convinced when I saw some of the shady stuff online, but I'd definitely order from there again. They definitely earned my positive feedback on eBay, so I'd say it's safe to assume that most of the positive reviews are true.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx said:
They are certainly nice cameras. If I thought mine might fail, I would pick up a spare, but it has worked perfectly for over two years and I treat it very well.

You guys who have been thinking about going to full frame should get your cash ready for the next 5D3 sale!
Bought my 5D3 today for $1999. Came **this close** to buying TWO and selling off my 7D.

Upvote 0
So I bought this during the sale and it finally arrived this week.

I have been testing it and everything seems to function alright... but I did notice the battery was draining very quickly. I fully charged it, started taking photos (no live view) and the battery went down to 75% with only 40 actuations.

That would end up totaling ~200 photos from a full charge, which is very far from the estimated ~950 photos stated on the manual.

I emailed getitdigital and this was their response.

"Thank you for contacting us. The battery that you have in your package is startup battery which last not for so long as you can see in your manual."

STARTUP BATTERY? I am pretty sure the battery that comes in the box is always the fully functional battery with normal battery life. I have never heard of a reduced performance "startup battery"? Am i missing something here????

Upvote 0