Ended: Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $49

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Authorized Canon retailer Beach Camera is selling the Canon PIXMA Pro-100 printer for $49.99 after a $250 mail-in rebate. The sale includes full (not starter) ink cartridge set as well as 50 sheets of Canon photo paper, which qualifies you for the $250 mail-in rebate.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337955415&customid=&icep_item=201652682144&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg">Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $49</a></strong> | <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/canonmir20160901.pdf">Mail-in Rebate Form</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Deal: Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $49

daaningrid said:
can i buy it from the netherlands
and what is the difference to the pro100s?

Even if you could, the shipping fees probably will make it not so cheap - these are bulky heavy items. You will also have need to replace the power cord, and I don't know if this printer can switch from 110 to 230V automatically. And don't forget the warranty issues.

The difference with the 100S are just more "cloudy" printing features - the printing engine AFAIK is the same.

Upvote 0
Re: Live Again: Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $49

This may seem like a silly question, but I haven't ever owned a printer that is for making photographic prints. Can printers such as the Pro-100 still print on normal 8.5x11 paper? As a student, I need a printer that can fulfill the roles of printing essays and readings and the like. As a photographer interested in making his own prints at home, I am interested in a printer that can print on larger paper sizes. Would this Pro-100 fulfill meet both of those requirements, or is it photo prints only? Would it be a waste to use it for printing text since the ink is expensive? Thanks!

They generally do not do a good job printing on plain paper, and the special ink is very expensive. You can do it, of course, but you won't to print many sheets.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Live Again: Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $49

Flyingskiguy said:
Would this Pro-100 fulfill meet both of those requirements, or is it photo prints only?

These printers are designed as photo printers. Of course they can print on plain paper, but the cost per page would be high, and their paper management is not made for a stack of 250/500 sheets.

After my last disappointment with an HP printer, I gave up looking for a printer good at both tasks. Sure, you can still find consumer inkjet printers which can do both, but their photo output can't match the Pixma Pro line, and they may still be expensive to run if you print a lot.

I preferred to get a "cheap" laser printer (i got one with a duplexer to use less paper too easily) to print documents, and use my Pixma Pro as a photo printer only. If you can get one at $49, the only issue is the space it takes...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

hubie said:
Buy a printer, get ripped off with ink catridges ;D

Ripped off? Or re-distribution of purchase price?

To pull numbers out of the air merely for illustration: they could sell the printer for $2,000 and charge $5 per cartridge in which case if you do not do much printing it is sitting there doing nothing most of the time. Or they charge $50 for the printer and charge you $40 per cartridge and you pay for what you use. A different way of amortizing costs.
In the first example people won't buy the printer because of high initial costs.
In the second example people will buy the printer and will barely notice the money spent on cartridges.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014

Mikehit said:
hubie said:

To pull numbers out of the air merely for illustration: they could sell the printer for $2,000 and charge $5 per cartridge in which case if you do not do much printing it is sitting there doing nothing most of the time. Or they charge $50 for the printer and charge you $40 per cartridge and you pay for what you use. A different way of amortizing costs.
In the first example people won't buy the printer because of high initial costs.
In the second example people will buy the printer and will barely notice the money spent on cartridges.

That $40 cartridge costs 10 cents to make however. For Canon it is essentially free money. The profit margin selling ink is much, much higher than for selling the printer itself.

The idea behind that sort of marketing is that you might think twice about paying $500 for a printer, but not give spending $50 on ink a second thought. If they can sell the printer to you at cost, and make $500 a year selling ink to you, they will be coming out far ahead.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Tugela said:
That $40 cartridge costs 10 cents to make however. For Canon it is essentially free money. The profit margin selling ink is much, much higher than for selling the printer itself.

Source? While I agree the margin is very high, cartridges costs are also made from packaging, shipping, storing, etc. There are also the seller margins - if you don't earn enough on selling a product, you will quit selling it.

Also, in some countries there could be recycling costs - if companies have to pay, they will pass the cost to the customer.

Tugela said:
The idea behind that sort of marketing is that you might think twice about paying $500 for a printer, but not give spending $50 on ink a second thought.

I wonder how much making films costed to Kodak/Agfa/Fuji, etc. It's also very much alike subscriptions like Adobe CC work. At least, inks are consumed only when printing and cleaning... :D

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

Tugela said:
Mikehit said:
hubie said:

The idea behind that sort of marketing is that you might think twice about paying $500 for a printer, but not give spending $50 on ink a second thought. If they can sell the printer to you at cost, and make $500 a year selling ink to you, they will be coming out far ahead.

So you agree it is a valid pricing strategy then.

How much are the parts in a Ferrari actually worth? Or a camera? Or a dishwasher? If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Upvote 0

Mikehit said:
So you agree it is a valid pricing strategy then. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Do you know of any quality photo printer that makes you pay the actual printer's cost up front with affordable ink afterwards?

It seems to me like every manufacturer follows the model of selling cheap printers and then selling ink like it's liquid gold, making the point of "if you don't like the price, don't buy" moot. But if there's a brand or model that I'm not aware of, I'd really like to know.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Pag said:
It seems to me like every manufacturer follows the model of selling cheap printers and then selling ink like it's liquid gold

Canon doesn't follow this everywhere. Actually, Amazon Italy sells for example the 100S at 419 euro and the 10S at 613 - which don't make them exactly "cheap". This level of discount is never heard of in Italy, and I guess in most Europe. It is true its a 100, not a 100S, but the newer model really adds little, and of little use. Still, they may want to deplete stocks.

It is true more "consumer" oriented inkjets are almost given away for free.

I may not have any issue with this model, as long as companies doesn't enforce a monopoly on inks :mad:

There are rumors around, for example, that HP released a firmware update that activated a block some months later on 3rd party inks - a really sleazy attitude towards customers, which should be forbidden by law.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Tugela said:
hubie said:

That is the general idea. They are basically almost giving the printer away, so the profit is coming from another angle.

Buy the printer at $49 (after rebate) solely for the ink cartridges. Total win. IIRC then one can buy two sets of new cartridges with the rebate $$$ ($109 per set direct from Canon). That gives one 3 sets of ink. Or there are generic sets for $49 from other retailers.

I can't see how buying ink "rips" one off. One gets what one paid for and hopefully made money on the printing. Plus, one gets a spare printer.

I've never had to replace a whole set at once anyway. Usually one or two cartridges at a time and I think they are sold separately too.

It's just a hobby for me, so I don't print much at all.

Upvote 0