EOS R camera between EOS R7 and EOS R10 coming [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
I would rather like to see an APS-C camera above the R7. One with the BSI stacked sensor for example. An APS-C version of the R3 for around $2,500.
People on this forum spent years wishing for a mini 1-series APS-C DSLR at 1/3 the price. Nice to see that hope for the unicorn lives on.

Of course, if you stack the R7 up against the 1D X the former bests it on most specs...so it turns out that if you wait a few years, the unicorn is really just a horse after all.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So many contradicting rumors these days, wow.

I honestly personally don't see a need for another APS-C camera between the R10 und R7, but there is growing need for a cheaper full frame model. The R6mkii has been pushed to a higher and more expensive level, which now leaves a lot of room for one or two cheaper full-frame models. I'd still imagine Canon will call them R8 and R9 (or just R8, if only one is coming). The RP has sold surprisingly well in Germany, so did the Z5 and that void will be filled.
If Canon decides to bring over the M-line completely there'll be at least another two APS-C cameras. I'd imagine two vloggers oriented bodies, one cheap entry level and maybe on in-between (such as the 250d). It would round out the line-up very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For those looking for a FF backup in Europe, Calumet sells the EOS R for Euro 1199 ("Black Week Deal").
Excellent camera, not only as a backup!
I saw that add. Fotokoch and Foto Erhard also sold the R for 1.199 €, 600 € less than last week.
I'm guessing Canon is clearling out stock because a new ff model is coming. Also, the RP sold for 777 € at a big retailer, and for 750 € at a couple of smaller stores.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Is there really such a large gap between the R7 and the R10? I would rather like to see an APS-C camera above the R7. One with the BSI stacked sensor for example. An APS-C version of the R3 for around $2,500.
I guess it would come down to Canon believing there are enough people who would buy such a camera over the R6 II to justify Canon making it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I guess it would come down to Canon believing there are enough people who would buy such a camera over the R6 II to justify Canon making it.
I think there is likely to be a replacement for the R quite soon, at a price somewhere between the R7 and R6ii. It could simply be a "crippled" R6ii, with the same sensor and IBIS. I'd expect a single SD slot, slower fps and a few features removed (e.g. a mode dial that lacked custom modes but had "scene modes" instead).

I don't believe there is room for another APS model between the R10 and R7, given that the price gap is fairly small.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If Canon decides to bring over the M-line completely there'll be at least another two APS-C cameras. I'd imagine two vloggers oriented bodies, one cheap entry level and maybe on in-between (such as the 250d). It would round out the line-up very well.
"RV"? V for vlogging?

Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
I think there is likely to be a replacement for the R quite soon, at a price somewhere between the R7 and R6ii. It could simply be a "crippled" R6ii, with the same sensor and IBIS. I'd expect a single SD slot, slower fps and a few features removed (e.g. a mode dial that lacked custom modes but had "scene modes" instead).

I don't believe there is room for another APS model between the R10 and R7, given that the price gap is fairly small.
If they want to make us EF-M folks happy, they'd have one super compact with fewer controls below the R10, and a full dials-but-no-viewfinder-pretty-darn-compact model between the R10 and the R7, and people would still argue about whether they wanted the viewfinder and a third body was needed..

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If they want to make us EF-M folks happy, they'd have one super compact with fewer controls below the R10, and a full dials-but-no-viewfinder-pretty-darn-compact model between the R10 and the R7, and people would still argue about whether they wanted the viewfinder and a third body was needed..
I agree, Canon need a M-sized (or as close as possible) camera. They also need to have pancakes and other physically small lenses, to get a cheap and *pocketable* MILC that can be easily carried while hiking. But given the fact that a phone fits in the pocket much more easily, and provides images good enough to satisfy social media needs, it might not happen.

As exploreshootshare commented, it's likely that if Canon do produce a M-sized model, it will most likely be a vlogging camera - and that means no EVF.

Third body? No, 2 is enough for me - currently I have a mismatch because I've got an R5 and several RF lenses, and my only backup is my 5DMkiv with an EF macro lens and a 24mm T/S E. Sometimes I borrow an RP as an emergency backup, but I find it too limiting. Eventually when the R5ii comes out I'll probably get that, and use my R5 as backup.

Upvote 0
I find it really surprising that no one notices there is a big group of customers that want full frame and also do not have a 2k eur (R6 currently) budget. For them, currently, R and RP are the only options, and those options have not been refreshed in a long time and feel a bit like buying great but old'ish technology.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The R6 ii is 3100€ and R5 is 3400€ with cashback so I really can't justify getting the R6 ii. I wonder why they priced it so high over here.

The a74 has the 33mp bsi sensor I want in a Canon instead of ridiculous fps or amazing video. :)
Yes, I agree. In Australia there only a ~20% price premium for the R5 over R6ii given the current pricing. I know which I would take if you could afford it.
Get the R5.. hard not to be impressed with the 45mp sensor :)

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Of course I can't predict what other people want, but wouldn't there be a market for a professional APS-C camera? Basically all people who crop their photos anyway, because they take photos of things that a either very small or far away. Bird photographers for example. But also paparazzi. That alone is a huge market, because paparazzi photos generate a lot of money. Of course those people could still use a high resolution full frame camera and then crop, but at the moment there is no full frame Canon camera that has a resolution as high as the R7 when cropped. And of course using heavy full frame lenses on a crop camera means a lot of weight that could be avoided if Canon offered professional fast APS-C lenses.

Old people in general have more money than younger people. So the 70 year old hobby photographer might be able to afford an expensive camera, but he might want a light one with light lenses.

Fuji offers an XH2s with a stacked BSI sensor. It seems Fuji came to different conclusions than Canon when they analyzed the market.

Upvote 0

I implore you to move away from that word. What you mean is a simplified/pared back/cut price version.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I implore you to move away from that word. What you mean is a simplified/pared back/cut price version.
Yep, I couldn't think of a suitable synonym when I posted the comment, hence I put it in quotation marks to indicate that I don't really condone its usage in this (or any other) context. The long-winded way to say what I meant, was "reduced in performance and specification as compared to the R6ii, so as to lower the price to the customer, and for product segmentation purposes"

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Old people in general have more money than younger people. So the 70 year old hobby photographer might be able to afford an expensive camera, but he might want a light one with light lenses.
Yep, that's why I switched from a 5DMkiv to an R5, and why I have the RF100-400mm and RF 800mm F11 lenses for occasions when I don't want to lug around the RF 100-500mm all day long. It's also why I have, from time to time, even considered giving up on full frame, and switching to OM Systems.

I don't walk around with a rucksack full of lenses, I just decide on one particular lens to use for each outing, and carry a plastic bin-liner in my pocket in case I need to protect the camera from rain.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Of course I can't predict what other people want, but wouldn't there be a market for a professional APS-C camera?

Fuji offers an XH2s with a stacked BSI sensor. It seems Fuji came to different conclusions than Canon when they analyzed the market.
Fuji is a niche player in the ILC market. It may seem counterintuitive, but that actually suggests the ‘professional APS-C market’ is small. The forest is full of bamboo trees, but if you’re a little monkey and the 800 pound gorilla wants to eat bamboo, you’re better off going after the grubs on the forest floor.

• Haha

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Or, Canon could simply leave the original R6 in the lineup, which now has a street price below the R's price at introduction. Which would be more profitable for Canon, develop a new sub-$2,000 model or reduce the price of the R6?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Of course I can't predict what other people want, but wouldn't there be a market for a professional APS-C camera?
Surprisingly not.

The 7D and 7DMkii were true professional-level tools. But the 7D was launched in 2009, and we had to wait 5 years until the 7DMkii was launched in 2014. Those of us who loved the 7D series moaned continually, hoping that a 7DMkiii would eventually appear, but one never did.

Canon seems to have decided some time ago, that FF was for pros and serious enthusiasts, and that APS was for novices or those on a tight budget. So instead of a professional APS, we got the R7. The latter is very well specified, but I don't think anyone would regard it as a professional camera.

As for Fujifilm, their cameras are excellent, but I doubt if many find their way into the hands of professionals.

Upvote 0