EOS R for Birds in Flight

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Anyone using the the EOS R for BIF? The first reports on the R suggested it wasn't up to using for BIF. However, I have been seeing some good shots on the net and am wondering if the firmware updates have made significant improvements that the R is now generally useful. Please post any first hand experience and any shots, with some indications about the number of keepers.

D

Deleted member 381342

I tried it tracking a seagull and it didn't feel great, like it was always a little behind the bird. This was firmware 1.4 with a 500mm f/4.0. But it will depend what you are upgrading from too, my 5D Mark II is a slouch at all things AF and a R would blow it out the water. Compared to a recent camera like a 7d mark II it felt frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I had a chance to use it when shooting birds that constantly move (not necessarily flying). I was constantly thinking that I needed a joystick to change the location of the AF point. 5D IV is much more handy for this.

How did you find tracking/screen lag?, I felt it was always maybe a few ms behind the bird. Just enough to feel off.

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
How did you find tracking/screen lag?, I felt it was always maybe a few ms behind the bird. Just enough to feel off.
I actually did not pay attention to it. But I wouldn't be surprised if this lag exists. I can feel it with very fast moving objects on my Olympus em1 m2. I don't think Canon was able to revolutionize the technology on their first ff mirrorless camera. From what I saw and felt, and considering the selection of RF lenses available by now, Canon R is not meant for sport or wildlife.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
When the target is within realistic range I usually get a nice sequence to choose from. The eagle at the top was flying in a group of three that were flying all over the place chasing each other and I probably got 15 in the sequence of which 13 were probably solid keepers.

The eagle at the top is one of a string of about 20 of which I kept all but two. I got him flying all the way up to the tree and then landing. It was amazing and I shocked myself.

Other days I get zero. Usually due to wishful thinking, lack of preparedness, or giving my lens imaginary reach it just doesn't have.

Thanks for the compliment. My photography is probably 95 percent birds.. I'm lucky to live where I live.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When the target is within realistic range I usually get a nice sequence to choose from. The eagle at the top was flying in a group of three that were flying all over the place chasing each other and I probably got 15 in the sequence of which 13 were probably solid keepers.

The eagle at the top is one of a string of about 20 of which I kept all but two. I got him flying all the way up to the tree and then landing. It was amazing and I shocked myself.

Other days I get zero. Usually due to wishful thinking, lack of preparedness, or giving my lens imaginary reach it just doesn't have.

Thanks for the compliment. My photography is probably 95 percent birds.. I'm lucky to live where I live.
I am so envious of where you live! Please post the odd shot in the Bird Portraits and Birds in Flight threads as we regulars like seeing photos like yours.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I am so envious of where you live! Please post the odd shot in the Bird Portraits and Birds in Flight threads as we regulars like seeing photos like yours.

I will do it - I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to post a bit. I really like this site.

You probably already do this but what I do is sest one of the 'custom modes' on all my cameras for basic BIF settings so when something comes flying along I blip over to mode setting '3' make quick minor adjustments and off I go. Things like tracking, minimum shutter speed, burst mode, etc are already set so I'm usually ahead of the game. I found it helped me a lot.

Before I did this I'd see a bird and panic and by the time I got set up to even attempt a shot I was looking at tail feathers.

I just looked at the posted pics and man does it screw the quality of the shot - I'll have to find a host that will allow full resolution pics - any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I will do it - I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to post a bit. I really like this site.

You probably already do this but what I do is sest one of the 'custom modes' on all my cameras for basic BIF settings so when something comes flying along I blip over to mode setting '3' make quick minor adjustments and off I go. Things like tracking, minimum shutter speed, burst mode, etc are already set so I'm usually ahead of the game. I found it helped me a lot.

Before I did this I'd see a bird and panic and by the time I got set up to even attempt a shot I was looking at tail feathers.

I just looked at the posted pics and man does it screw the quality of the shot - I'll have to find a host that will allow full resolution pics - any suggestions?
On my 5D series, I have C3, C2, C1 programmed to be sticky on my standard settings for BIF, backlit and normal perched birds, and M and Av or Tv for more immediate changes, and use muscle memory to flick through. You should be able to click and expand the images here. I download the more interesting ones to look at.

Upvote 0